Moving Pictures 5.1

Motorshooter

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 13 2011, 08:23 PM)
The main thing that irritates me about this release is that it's been advertised as a high Rez 24 bit/96kHz remaster when in fact it is not. It is an upsampled 16 bit/44.1kHz master. Now, many on here might not care about this kind of thing but myself and many others do since it is false advertising, bordering on fraud. It may be 5.1 folks, but it is not high Rez. Very sad.

It definitely doesn't sound as clear as the PT releases I've heard and I guess this could be why, rather than bad mixing (which it could be to).

Just a question, does anyone elses CD skip on a few songs?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 13 2011, 05:12 PM)
The main thing that irritates me about this release is that it's been advertised as a high Rez 24 bit/96kHz remaster when in fact it is not. It is an upsampled 16 bit/44.1kHz master. Now, many on here might not care about this kind of thing but myself and many others do since it is false advertising, bordering on fraud. It may be 5.1 folks, but it is not high Rez. Very sad.

It definitely doesn't sound as clear as the PT releases I've heard and I guess this could be why, rather than bad mixing (which it could be to).

No, I do not have any skips on mine.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 13 2011, 06:12 PM)

Nope.

QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 13 2011, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 13 2011, 03:23 PM)

Woah, woah. Hold the phones. It's not 24/96???

Sources, I need sources. Please spill.

Any music waveform software can show you frequency response (DVD audioextractor is one program). Anyway, I should clarify my statement. The new 5.1 mix is full 24/96 but not the stereo, which was upsampled. They clearly didn't care about the 2 channel which is a bummer but I understand since this was always touted as a 5.1 release.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 13 2011, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 13 2011, 04:13 PM)

Woah, woah. Hold the phones. It's not 24/96???

Sources, I need sources. Please spill.

Any music waveform software can show you frequency response (DVD audioextractor is one program). Anyway, I should clarify my statement. The new 5.1 mix is full 24/96 but not the stereo, which was upsampled. They clearly didn't care about the 2 channel which is a bummer but I understand since this was always touted as a 5.1 release.

Well that's good to know because it would have been advertising fraud if that were to actually be the case.

I pre-ordered mine through Amazon, but have yet to receive it angry.gif , so I can't comment on it at this time.

As far as clarity goes, MP was originally analog, right? Deadwing and The Incident are digital, so I would imagine those releases would be much sharper than MP 5.1.

MP was recorded in analog amd mixed/mastered digitally. Even though thats the case, this DVD-A falls FAR short of other DVD-A's of older albums that I own. Two that come to mind are the Eagles Hotel California and Fleetwood Macs Rumours, both of which pre-date Moving Pictures and both of which blow it out of the water in terms of audio quality. The more I listen to this new Moving Pictures, the more disappointed I feel. This is not a knock on Rush but I do feel like they need to get someone else other than Chycki to remaster their albums. Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree comes to mind. All of PT's albums sound amazing on DVD-A and the remastering of King Crimsons albums that he did sound just awesome. This new MP is a major sonic bummer for me, though I hope all the new remasters come out in DVD-A...I just hope Rich Chycki isnt the one mastering them all, though I have a sickening feeling he will be sad.gif

Whoever did the Sabbath deluxe editions needs to master the entire Rush catolog, those sounded SO much warmer than that harsh Black Box. Rhino sucks. The only good thing was the Bonus DVD, and the black velvet lined book.

QUOTE (Hear Again @ Apr 14 2011, 07:42 AM)
From the liner notes......"Mastered by Andy VanDette at Masterdisk, New York."

Rich Chycki mixed it.
It was mastered elsewhere.

Take Care

My bad. You are 100% correct. Still, the DVD-A still sucks. Could have been 1000% better. I suspect most wont notice and will think its the best thing since sliced bread.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 14 2011, 04:20 AM)
MP was recorded in analog amd mixed/mastered digitally. Even though thats the case, this DVD-A falls FAR short of other DVD-A's of older albums that I own. Two that come to mind are the Eagles Hotel California and Fleetwood Macs Rumours, both of which pre-date Moving Pictures and both of which blow it out of the water in terms of audio quality. The more I listen to this new Moving Pictures, the more disappointed I feel. This is not a knock on Rush but I do feel like they need to get someone else other than Chycki to remaster their albums. Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree comes to mind. All of PT's albums sound amazing on DVD-A and the remastering of King Crimsons albums that he did sound just awesome. This new MP is a major sonic bummer for me, though I hope all the new remasters come out in DVD-A...I just hope Rich Chycki isnt the one mastering them all, though I have a sickening feeling he will be sad.gif

There's some hints we might be getting 2112 from SW.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 15 2011, 03:27 PM)

That would be nice, but I would prefer Hemispheres or Permanent Waves. Either one of those in 5.1 would be pretty mind blowing.

As far as MP 5.1, I still haven't received it! Looks like I'll be waiting until early May. Frustrating as hell since I pre-ordered it a while back! angry.gif

i was looking forward to this when i first heard it was coming out, because MP was THE album that got me into 2.gif and bass playing (thank you, Ged!!!)

so, out of pure nostalgia, i bought the bluray version from Best Buy.

i don't consider myself an 'audiophile', per se, but i liked what i heard!!

if you're a fan, and esp. of this album, buy it....end of story!

i can't see myself playing the dvd version a lot, but it's nice to have and i will enjoy it from time to time.

i could only imagine what a 5.1 version of 2112 would sound like! tongue.gif

pardon my ignorance, but what is 'MFLS' ?

onto to Clockwork Angels!!!!!

Some words of advice from an Audiophile.

Oh dear.... All is not well. Second listen and some things have been ballsed up. Prime examples. The bells of London at the end of Camera Eye have mysteriously disappeared and the reappearance of Alex's squeal at the the end of the Limelight solo is missing too. I'm all for 5.1 being used to bring out the detail in old recordings and I obviously have to expect the engineer to take some licence with placement of instruments which will be his personal taste but I absolutely FORBID the deletion of things in the original recording!  I am now away to check the CD version in this package to see if it's missing on that too. This is not a forgiveable sin in my book ...   
Checked both the cd version in the package and the high res stereo PCM version on the bluray. Both have the above missing parts intact. So, in effect I have to pronounce the 5.1 mix non-canon. It sounds great but you are not getting everything that is in the original stereo recordings. This is simply unnaceptable to me and I therefore withdraw my recommendation of this package sadly.

Ru$h = Ca$h Grab.

Any audiophiles out there can help me with the 5.1 setup? I have the DVD-A version and would like to know what I need exactly to play it. Answers much appreiciated.

note: I'm running it through my laptop with a standard 3.5 mm plug to logitech x540 which have 5.1 surround sound option, but due to the 3.5mm limitation of my laptop won't be 5.1. However I still hear a major difference between the surround version and stereo despite the fact I don't think I'm hearing the full surround sound. Just my thoughts.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 15 2011, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 14 2011, 04:20 AM)
MP was recorded in analog amd mixed/mastered digitally.  Even though thats the case, this DVD-A falls FAR short of other DVD-A's of older albums that I own.  Two that come to mind are the Eagles Hotel California and Fleetwood Macs Rumours, both of which pre-date Moving Pictures and both of which blow it out of the water in terms of audio quality.  The more I listen to this new Moving Pictures, the more disappointed I feel.  This is not a knock on Rush but I do feel like they need to get someone else other than Chycki to remaster their albums.  Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree comes to mind.  All of PT's albums sound amazing on DVD-A and the remastering of King Crimsons albums that he did sound just awesome.  This new MP is a major sonic bummer for me, though I hope all the new remasters come out in DVD-A...I just hope Rich Chycki isnt the one mastering them all, though I have a sickening feeling he will be sad.gif

Source please.

hello. this is referring to the 5.1mix on DVD-A only.

Sounds reasonably good, although it's not the best surround mix mix ever. In any case, I'm glad they've started doing hirez 5.1, and perhaps Hemispheres might be given a proper more experienced treatment.

Perhaps they shouldv'e done what SW did, work with an established 5.1 mix engineer (Elliot Schriner) for the first try (in Absentia) and then go on his own to do the rest of the PT DVD-Audios.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 9 2011, 04:23 PM)
Lets just hope the source tape for the other albums was better recorded than Moving Pictures.

Haha something is wrong with the source tapes for Moving Pictures? I can tolerate mild to moderate audiophilia, as ignorant and ridiculous as it usually is, but this is overshooting a little.

None of you guys are going to be able to hear the difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96 anyway, especially on a rock record.

QUOTE (thebernreuter @ Apr 24 2011, 10:56 AM)

None of you guys are going to be able to hear the difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96 anyway, especially on a rock record.

Oh really? I dont think so. I did a blind comparison between the new DVD-A 2 channel and my MFSL copy of Moving Pictures as well as a comparison between my redbook copy of Becks Sea Change and its 24bit/192kHz DVD-A companion and I could pick out each copy every time. If you listen to these albums a lot and on a good system, you can pick them out readily. At any rate, that wasnt the point of the post of mine you responded to anyway. My point was that we are not getting a truly high-rez product, rather it is an upsampled 24/96 release. Either way, it doesnt matter. The new Moving Pictures is fun to listen to in 5.1 but it doesnt come close to being a high-rez, high quality audio release.

Archived