Moving Pictures 5.1

Motorshooter

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ Apr 24 2011, 03:27 PM)
I'm no audiophile, but the album was recorded over 30 years ago... I'm not sure what some people were expecting.

Why should it matter when it was recorded? Some of the best hi-res/5.1 releases I own were originally released in the 70's early 80's. I'm more amazed when I hear modern releases that actually sound good in hi-res and 5.1.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finally got a MFSL Moving Pictures and it is the bee's knees. I never had too much of an issue with the 1997 remaster, but the 30th anniversary version is better. We can argue all day, but I'll be playing the MFSL version for pure listening pleasure from now on.

I tried the comparison thing with five different versions of Red Barchetta. After a few minutes I just got tired of it. I'm keeping the MFSL and the 30th anniversary edition. The rest I'm sending to friends in Canada and Australia because some folks don't care what version they have as long as they have one.

The MFSL is THE definitive version of this album. The new DVD-A version isnt even high rez, its an upsampled 16 bit/44.1lHz master. No idea why they did this. Its not like it would have been that difficult to do this correctly. There are older albums that have been remastered to DVD-Audio that blow this albums sonics out of the water. Whats worse, repeated attempts by myself to contact Rich Chycki and management for the band to answer questions about the methods used to remaster this album have gone unanswered. They could just not want to be bothered but it also could look like they're trying to hide something. Why, I have no idea but they really screwed the pooch on this one and I have very little faith that the remainder of the remasters will be done any better.

Look, I know all this audiophile stuff that I've been posting may come across as snooty but I really dont mean it to be so. I simply know that better quality control at all phases of the remastering process could have led to a much better sounding product and I dont understand why they didnt take the time to do so. I pray that they'll let Steven Wilson handle the next DVD-A release...that guy is a sonic genius!

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 30 2011, 04:16 PM)
The MFSL is THE definitive version of this album. The new DVD-A version isnt even high rez, its an upsampled 16 bit/44.1lHz master. No idea why they did this. Its not like it would have been that difficult to do this correctly. There are older albums that have been remastered to DVD-Audio that blow this albums sonics out of the water. Whats worse, repeated attempts by myself to contact Rich Chycki and management for the band to answer questions about the methods used to remaster this album have gone unanswered. They could just not want to be bothered but it also could look like they're trying to hide something. Why, I have no idea but they really screwed the pooch on this one and I have very little faith that the remainder of the remasters will be done any better.

Look, I know all this audiophile stuff that I've been posting may come across as snooty but I really dont mean it to be so. I simply know that better quality control at all phases of the remastering process could have led to a much better sounding product and I dont understand why they didnt take the time to do so. I pray that they'll let Steven Wilson handle the next DVD-A release...that guy is a sonic genius!

You don't sound snooty. You just want the best version possible. Me too.

Archived