Which Of These Bands Do You Like Best?

presto123

Choose Your Favorite Out Of These.  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Your Favorite Out Of These.

• Queensryche
    • Dream Theater
    • Yes
    • King's X
    • Iron Maiden
    • Led Zeppelin
    • Pink Floyd
    • Genesis
    • Police

I'm listing various bands that I have found Rush fans gravitate to and I'm curious to see where musical tastes may fall. Forgive me if I leave some off. Feel free to state why you like certain bands and how they compare to Rush.

I really couldn't pick. I voted Queensryche but I think I like King's X, Maiden, and The Police just as well. And Zeppelin too:)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of those except Queensryche, King's X, and Led Zeppelin. I kinda like The Police, but don't listen to them that often...I don't think I have them in my music collection.

But a favorite out of this list...boy that's hard. I'll go with the Floyd on this one.

http://www.seeklogo.com/images/G/Genesis_Band_Logo-logo-E0EDA80DCA-seeklogo.com.gif

wub.gif

QUOTE (Passage2 @ Apr 2 2011, 04:54 AM)
I voted Yes. Genesis and Zep were my close 2 and 3 on this list.

Do Rush fans actually like Dream Theater and Queensryche?  062802puke_prv.gif

I like them but yes and genesis are a lot better for me and I couldn't decide so I went with genesis because g comes before y in the alphabet.

Here's how I would rank them:

Pink Floyd: My all time favorite band.

2.gif

Iron Maiden

Yes/Led Zeppelin/Genesis: I like all three of these groups quite a lot, and listen to them fairly often. I don't care much for the 80's work of Yes/Genesis though.

King's X/Queensryche: Only have one album by each of these bands (Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, and Operation: Mindcrime respectively). Neither one are my go-to albums, but are more "oh hey, I haven't listened to this in a while". Summertime by King's X is a great tune though, and I love their vocals.

Dream Theater: I dont MIND when I hear Dream Theater, but they really do nothing for me. Don't like the vocals, and don't like the guitar tone.

The Police: Don't care for them.

Edit: some other bands that might be applicable as well: Porcupine Tree, Voivod, and King Crimson. Personally, Voivod come in right after Rush for me, followed by King Crimson. Porcupine Tree hover somewhere between Yes/LZ/Genesis and King's X/Queensryche

This is difficult. There was a time when LZ or PF would have been the choice, but not since high school. Yes has been a favorite as well as Genesis, but consistency has not occurred in either band. Iron Maiden wins my choice here from the list but only because King Crimson appears to be absent from the list.

I had to choose Yes as they were my favorite band before Rush over took them.

Though I am a huge Genesis (anything Abacab and before) fan.

What seperates Rush from them is that Rush continues to put out quality work where both Yes and Genesis really out out some crap in the later years. Say what you want about HYF, RTB etc, they still far out weigh the later works of these bands.

Floyd and Crimson are high up on the list too.

A more recent band that I find alot of Rush fans like is Porcupine Tree - I love them but obviously not as much as the bands above.

On this poll: Yes

Not on this poll: The Who

All three of the guys in Rush have all sited The Who as major influences; I hear alot of Keith Moon in Neil's earlier work with Rush. Alex also sites Pete Townshend as a huge influence on his role in the band, as a combo rhythm/lead player.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 1 2011, 11:20 PM)
Forgive me if I leave some off.

The two big ones that Rush fans seem to love that you forgot are The Who and Porcupine Tree.

Of the ones listed though, Pink Floyd followed very closely by Yes.

Surprised Queensryche has only received 3 votes. I think that band is the most Rush like. I just think a lot of people aren't familiar with their catalog or haven't let it grow on them. Some people are probably only familiar with Silent Lucidity. Scott Rockenfield on drums is very influenced and similar to Peart and QR have even used some of the same producers and engineers that Rush used earlier.(Peter Collins and Paul Northfield) Plus they are big into concept records.(Probably influenced by Rush as well)

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Apr 2 2011, 02:15 AM)
I'm not a Dream Theater fan at all and don't know King's X that well. But all the rest of those I like a lot.

This for me as well (not too familiar with Queemsryche either).

I voted Zeppelin though they're equal with Floyd for me.

Led Zeppelin - the quality they share with Rush is that they were always expanding their sound and that every album was different; their diversity. And of course their roots as heavy rock bands. As a live band, very different in the way they improvised on stage.

Pink Floyd - very different from Rush, since they started in an earlier era, more psychedelic and as a live band very different. Similar in that they changed a lot over time and their diversity

Yes & Genesis - their influence on Rush is most apparent during the 77-81 era. The main similarity is like Rush their music is very arranged and structured (which carried over to their live performances) and complex

The Police - of course very influential on Rush during the early to mid 80s in bringing in that reggae feel

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 2 2011, 11:58 AM)
Surprised Queensryche has only received 3 votes. I think that band is the most Rush like. I just think a lot of people aren't familiar with their catalog or haven't let it grow on them. Some people are probably only familiar with Silent Lucidity. Scott Rockenfield on drums is very influenced and similar to Peart and QR have even used some of the same producers and engineers that Rush used earlier.(Peter Collins and Paul Northfield) Plus they are big into concept records.(Probably influenced by Rush as well)

The problem with that is Queesnryche has released nothing but garbage over the last decade. If they had continued the standard of excellence they had from their EP through PL up to today then certainly. But the band has lost it and it looks as if they're never getting it back sad.gif It's not lack of people knowing their stuff. Their old albums sold very well for them and a lot of people know who they are, or "were" I should say.

I voted for Maiden since they're my second favorite band behind Rush.

From the list, I like:

Yes

Dream Theater

Pink Floyd

The Police

Led Zeppelin

Genesis

I like Iron Maiden and Queensryche but I'm not really too familiar with them, and I've never listened to King's X.

If Porcupine Tree were on this list, they would get my vote.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 2 2011, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 2 2011, 11:58 AM)

The problem with that is Queesnryche has released nothing but garbage over the last decade. If they had continued the standard of excellence they had from their EP through PL up to today then certainly. But the band has lost it and it looks as if they're never getting it back sad.gif It's not lack of people knowing their stuff. Their old albums sold very well for them and a lot of people know who they are, or "were" I should say.

I voted for Maiden since they're my second favorite band behind Rush.

I respectfully disagree with you on this. Yeah there were a couple sub par records(Q2K and Hear In The Now Frontier come to mind) but their latest release American Soldier has classic Queensryche all over it IMO. I was thrilled with that record. I even thought Mindcrime 2 had some good moments.

Archived