Which Of These Bands Do You Like Best?

presto123

Choose Your Favorite Out Of These.  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Your Favorite Out Of These.

• Queensryche
    • Dream Theater
    • Yes
    • King's X
    • Iron Maiden
    • Led Zeppelin
    • Pink Floyd
    • Genesis
    • Police

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went with Pink Floyd. The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon are both must have albums, imo. I listen to a small smattering of music from the other bands listed but none of them are on my ipod.

KINGS X!!!!! if you haven't got 'em, do yourself a favor and get the "gretchen goes to nebraska" & "dogman" albums. i also love led zep, and some floyd & maiden.

QUOTE (Brooks @ Apr 3 2011, 09:20 AM)
KINGS X!!!!! if you haven't got 'em, do yourself a favor and get the "gretchen goes to nebraska" & "dogman" albums. i also love led zep, and some floyd & maiden.

I looked into those guys, but yeah....progressive metal 062802puke_prv.gif

Honorable mention for the more recent band, Astra! trink39.gif Someone who can prog it up without being metal biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 3 2011, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (Brooks @ Apr 3 2011, 09:20 AM)

I looked into those guys, but yeah....progressive metal 062802puke_prv.gif

Some Rock, some Metal..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8LmDCdTLFI

Go Prog yourself! biggrin.gif

Iron Maiden and Rush are my joint fave bands so I had to vote Maiden.

Big fan of early Queensryche as well (up to Promised Land), met them twice at signings, good guys

The holy trinity is

Rush

Zeppelin

Floyd

I also really love Queensryhce and Maiden. I enjoy a good amount of Dream Theater. Kings X has some great stuff, the Police have some legendary stuff.

The band that has become my obsession after Rush is Porcupine Tree who is amazingly not on this list. They are truly IMO the very best rock band in the world today. Steve Wilson is in the prime of his creative career. The run of the last 5 1/2 albums from Porcupine Tree has been astounding.

Lightbulb Sun

In Absentia

Deadwing

Fear of a Blank Planet

Nil Recurring (4 song EP that is mindboggling)

The Incident

Just insane stuff. And live? truly remarkable.

Next to Rush they are my favorite band now.

For the record I voted for Zeppelin by a hair over Floyd.

I picked Yes, but it was a hard choice. I've noticed that I don't have any interest in listening to any band that sort of sounds like Rush. That is what Rush is for. I'm not sure anyone actually sounds like Rush anyway.

QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Apr 2 2011, 09:21 AM)
...both Yes and Genesis really out out some crap in the later years. Say what you want about HYF, RTB etc, they still far out weigh the later works of these bands.

Yes - Big Generator 1987

Genesis - We Can't Dance 1991

^ they both have some lemons, but I'd take them all day over RTB and T4E

overall, though, I agree with your assessment

Genesis 'replaced' Phil Collins (an album I still haven't heard) and effectively killed the band

Yes became a parody of themselves once they started trying to recreate their 70's prog sound (as if Drama/90125/Big Generator/Talk had never happened) - their final nail in the coffin was 'replacing' Jon Anderson with a Yes tribute band vocalist

Rush could have fallen victim to any one of those pitfalls, and a dozen more - whether you like every album or not, their literal integrity for over 36 years is peerless

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 2 2011, 11:52 PM)
QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 2 2011, 04:40 PM)
Zeppelin, they wrote the first chapter in the book of metal.

Bull. Sabbath did that. LZI was full of covers with two original songs.

Disagree with both of you. I think they BOTH wrote the first chapter of metal.......Zep's 2nd album is the one that co-wrote it with Sabbath's first 2 records, much more than Zep 1. Sabbath not only co-wrote chapter one, but with their first 6 albums wrote the rest of the book while Zep only occasionally came back to write a passage or two.

Rob Zombie once stated in an interview I saw that everyone in metal is "pretty much doing Sabbath. Some of us speed it up, some of us slow it down, but we're all just doing Sabbath to one extent or another. We're lucky they don't sue us for plagerism."

Curiously, none of those were mentioned when I asked for examples of iNtuitive Thinker musicians. The other mentions I recall besides Rush were:

- Weird Al Yankovic

- They Might Be Giants

- Procol Harum

So I wonder how many Rush fans like those.

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Apr 4 2011, 01:52 PM)
Curiously, none of those were mentioned when I asked for examples of iNtuitive Thinker musicians. The other mentions I recall besides Rush were:

- Weird Al Yankovic
- They Might Be Giants
- Procol Harum

I was just telling a friend last night that I'm surprised Weird Al never used Rush for one of his parodies. Who knows, maybe he approached them, and they refused, but with their sense of humor, that seems out of character.

I like what I've heard of the other two bands you mentioned, but am more familiar with (and dig) Weird Al.

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 4 2011, 09:58 AM)
The band that has become my obsession after Rush is Porcupine Tree who is amazingly not on this list. They are truly IMO the very best rock band in the world today. Steve Wilson is in the prime of his creative career. The run of the last 5 1/2 albums from Porcupine Tree has been astounding.

Lightbulb Sun
In Absentia
Deadwing
Fear of a Blank Planet
Nil Recurring (4 song EP that is mindboggling)
The Incident

Just insane stuff. And live? truly remarkable.

Next to Rush they are my favorite band now.

goodpost.gif Porcupine Tree is my favorite band, next to Rush.

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Apr 4 2011, 02:52 PM)

- Weird Al Yankovic
- They Might Be Giants
- Procol Harum

I love Weird Al. The guy is a genius when it comes to parodies.

Procol Harum is a great band too. I'm not familiar with a lot of their stuff, but A Salty Dog, Whiter Shade of Pale, and Repent Walpurgis are excellent songs.

I've heard of They Might Be Giants, but never listened to them. The whole children's music thing was a turn off, but I should check them out.

http://www.solarnavigator.net/music/music_images/Led_Zeppelin_group_photograph.jpg

http://www.gepr.net/yes69.jpg

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/genesis_gallery_2.jpg

Cannot and will not choose between these three bands. Its hard in todays context to think about these bands existing all at the same time smile.gif

Viva 70s!

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 4 2011, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Apr 2 2011, 09:21 AM)
...both Yes and Genesis really out out some crap in the later years. Say what you want about HYF, RTB etc, they still far out weigh the later works of these bands.

Yes - Big Generator 1987

Genesis - We Can't Dance 1991

^ they both have some lemons, but I'd take them all day over RTB and T4E

overall, though, I agree with your assessment

Genesis 'replaced' Phil Collins (an album I still haven't heard) and effectively killed the band

Yes became a parody of themselves once they started trying to recreate their 70's prog sound (as if Drama/90125/Big Generator/Talk had never happened) - their final nail in the coffin was 'replacing' Jon Anderson with a Yes tribute band vocalist

Rush could have fallen victim to any one of those pitfalls, and a dozen more - whether you like every album or not, their literal integrity for over 36 years is peerless

But Drama kicked ass, so I guess a corpse is going to break out of that coffin with this next album's release

Choose Your Favorite Out Of These.

Queensryche [ 5 ] [4.42%]

Dream Theater [ 3 ] [2.65%] <- This kind of makes me sad, too little

Yes [ 12 ] [10.62%]

King's X [ 4 ] [3.54%]

Iron Maiden [ 18 ] [15.93%] <- This kind of makes me sad, too much

Led Zeppelin [ 24 ] [21.24%]

Pink Floyd [ 29 ] [25.66%]

Genesis [ 14 ] [12.39%]

Police [ 4 ] [3.54%]

Total Votes: 113

Archived