Prog drummers

Akron162

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 30 2012, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 30 2012, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 30 2012, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 30 2012, 04:18 PM)
Billy Cobham. After Buddy Rich, nobody has ever picked up a pair of sticks and played like that, in Any type of music.

goodpost.gif

Though I wouln't file BC under prog, he's more a LOUD fusion player.

I am going by the fact he was very progressive when he first came out.

He was a Jazz-Rock Fusion pioneer. He's as Prog as they come.

trink39.gif

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 30 2012, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 30 2012, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 30 2012, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 30 2012, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 30 2012, 04:18 PM)
Billy Cobham. After Buddy Rich, nobody has ever picked up a pair of sticks and played like that, in Any type of music.

goodpost.gif

Though I wouln't file BC under prog, he's more a LOUD fusion player.

I am going by the fact he was very progressive when he first came out.

He was a Jazz-Rock Fusion pioneer. He's as Prog as they come.

trink39.gif

Hells yeah! I think he's one of the best.

Also I second what hatchet said...Guy Evans is a fricking monster.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 31 2012, 02:49 AM)
Carl Palmer. Leaves them all in the dust.

With all the names mentioned in this thread, Palmer certainly deserves to be among them. But does he leave them "all in the dust?" That's your opinion, but it's a bit of a stretch, I think.

Carl Palmer is the shit. One of the greatest drummers in the world. He shouldn't be labeled PROG.

I saw the Carl Palmer Band in San Francisco many years ago. Mind blowing.

I think currently Gavin Harrison is the best but putting labels on drummers in one specific genre is totally lame.

I'm glad my Simon Phillips vote was ignored for he is the true champion of drummers, even on a prog thred.

The man can do it all. He can cover and kick ass in all musical genres.

Some of you brainwashed zombies rip on METAL DRUMMERS on a prog drumming thread? Really?

You ever hear Simon's drumming on "Sin After Sin" by Judas Priest?

He ain't no fukkin' boring Dave Holland!

You ever hear Simon's playing on the Pete Townshend solo albums?

It's pretty progressive to me.

Mike Rutherford was in a "prog" band. Even hear Simon play on Mike's solo album "Small Creep's Day?"

Jeff Beck's "There And Back" could be labeled prog rock fusion.

Simon also plays on "801 LIVE."

Hello? PROG?

Simon Phillips blows everyone on here away.

Sorry Danny Carey, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, and Michael Giles!!

Step aside!

Heck, even Billy Cobham blows them away too.

That being said I will take Simon over Billy as well.

Not even Billy can do "Space Boogie."

JMO

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 22 2011, 06:15 PM)
It's gotta be Gavin Harrison. The dude can do anything, and he's incredibly musical as well. The middle of What Happens Now? by Porcupine Tree is totally off-the-charts inspiring.

Agree completely. Best post-peart drummer I have ever seen and IMO the best rock drummer out there today.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 31 2012, 06:50 AM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 23 2011, 03:21 PM)
Micheal Gilles.

Awesum drummer! Also, Bruford and... what about Alan White!? sad.gif

Alan White is quite good. In the 1980s he seemed to give in to the times and became a little more tame, but in the 70s he blew my mind. His drumming is hard to classify and I would often try to follow what he was doing and would get lost. Love it or hate it, Tales From Topographic Oceans is a masterpiece of prog drumming. Lately he has released an album with Tony Levin and David Torn called Levin Torn White. It is some of the best drumming he has done in ages.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 31 2012, 05:00 AM)
Carl Palmer is the shit.  One of the greatest drummers in the world.  He shouldn't be labeled PROG.

I saw the Carl Palmer Band in San Francisco many years ago.  Mind blowing.

I think currently Gavin Harrison is the best but putting labels on drummers in one specific genre is totally lame.

I'm glad my Simon Phillips vote was ignored for he is the true champion of drummers, even on a prog thred.

The man can do it all.  He can cover and kick ass in all musical genres.

Some of you brainwashed zombies rip on METAL DRUMMERS on a prog drumming thread?  Really?

You ever hear Simon's drumming on "Sin After Sin" by Judas Priest?

He ain't no fukkin' boring Dave Holland!

You ever hear Simon's playing on the Pete Townshend solo albums?

It's pretty progressive to me.

Mike Rutherford was in a "prog" band.  Even hear Simon play on Mike's solo album "Small Creep's Day?"

Jeff Beck's "There And Back" could be labeled prog rock fusion.

Simon also plays on "801 LIVE."

Hello?  PROG?

Simon Phillips blows everyone on here away.

Sorry Danny Carey, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, and Michael Giles!!

Step aside!

Heck, even Billy Cobham blows them away too.

That being said I will take Simon over Billy as well.

Not even Billy can do "Space Boogie."

JMO

+1K. BTW, RUSHHEAD666, where is the Simon Phillips discography list at?Thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheer.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 31 2012, 03:18 AM)

With all the names mentioned in this thread, Palmer certainly deserves to be among them. But does he leave them "all in the dust?" That's your opinion, but it's a bit of a stretch, I think.

Look who your dealing with . laugh.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 31 2012, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 31 2012, 06:50 AM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 23 2011, 03:21 PM)
Micheal Gilles.

Awesum drummer! Also, Bruford and... what about Alan White!? sad.gif

Alan White is quite good. In the 1980s he seemed to give in to the times and became a little more tame, but in the 70s he blew my mind. His drumming is hard to classify and I would often try to follow what he was doing and would get lost. Love it or hate it, Tales From Topographic Oceans is a masterpiece of prog drumming. Lately he has released an album with Tony Levin and David Torn called Levin Torn White. It is some of the best drumming he has done in ages.

That album was quite an eye-opener for me regarding White's playing. I agree that he seemed to be under-selling himself since the 70s with Yes.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 31 2012, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 31 2012, 03:18 AM)

Look who your dealing with . laugh.gif

the worlds biggest Mike Portnoy fan? cool10.gif

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jan 22 2011, 05:07 PM)
The other day i was listening to some metal bands, and i notice something that i didn't notice before: all their drummers are awful. They just stick to 2 or 3 movements to the entire song, and in the best case, they just beat the bass drum faster as they can. i always believe that what makes a good drummer is not the fast the play but the quantity of things they can do at the same time, or the quantity of rhythms that pull out in one song. At that point i can say that the best drummers are the ones in prog. They really were machines, they were able to play 20 minutes whitout stop, sound like they had 4 arms and play fast and rhytmically at the same time.

My favorites have to be Carl Palmer and Andrew Ward. Of course i have to mention Neil Peart, arguable the best drummer of all time.

So, tell me what you think of this? You think that some metal drummer can be compared to any prog drummer? What is your favorite in any case?

I love Andy Ward's drumming, especially his ability to hold down a groove when needed and go insane when it felt right. Bruford comes to mind as the edge of prog, more towards jazz. My favorite drummers though are mostly jazz fusion drummers like Chad Wackerman.

On the other hand, I have respect for someone like Nick Mason of Pink Floyd not because he has very much technical skill, but because he doesn't try to show you how good he is. I think his humility is a very good thing, as pride is usually the worst part of most drummers (Dave Grohl anyone?).