A Show of Hands

micgtr71

I was reading one of those ouevre easy Guitar Player articles about Alex and they have a required, inspired, and tired section for those who are not familiar. They take about 9 to 12 albums and pick what people should get, might want to check out, and leave completely alone. For the tired section, they mentioned ASOH and how the other albums had made the disc not necessary anymore. Come to think of it, it is the album that gets the fewest spins at my place. What about the rest of you? Any love/dislike for ASOH?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 18 2011, 04:23 PM)
I like the rhythm method, that's about it. It's too PoW, HYF heavy and the studio versions of those songs are all better anyway.

yes.gif

I love the DVD, but I don't actually own the album. I like it fine, but that's because I love HYF.

(Edit :: Sorry for the horrendous typos. That'll teach me not to rush when I'm posting from my phone!)

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 18 2011, 04:31 PM)
I lobe the DVD, but I don't actually own the album. I like it fine, bur that's because I love HYF.

I like the DVD, except for Geddy's hideous hairstyle. There's a pretty good version of Territories on there, and YYZ-drum solo.

Well, since I'm quite fond of both PW and HYF, this one gets a fair amount of play.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jan 18 2011, 03:49 PM)
Yeah, guess I'm in the minority. I love ASOH, especially the versions of Marathon and Mission.

I thought the ASOH version of "Marathon" was okay... but certainly not my favourite. Bugged me that they didn't go up to the original tempo (if I recall) but that's probably because I saw them perform it this year before discovering ASOH.

"Mission", however, was beautiful. That was the first time I ever heard that song, and I fell head-over-heels in love with it.

Song selection is a big thing for me as well. One song off of Signals did not sit well with me. The CTTH version is great. I do love HYF and PoW, but I would have chosen differently...or maybe made it a 3 lp/2disc set.

Funny but I have been listening to this for the last month in my car. I had not listened to it in a couple of years and now it is back in my "Rush Rotation" per say.

I find it to be a fantastic representation of the synth era. What I enjoy so much is the precision of the band during this period of their music. The intensity and concise execution of all the triggers is marvelous. Also Neil's drumming was so spot on. While I am not crazy about Alex sonically (I was not fond of his signature guitars) his guitar work was razor sharp. I do feel like some they left off some essential songs from the era and they should have made it a double disc.

Leaving off:

The Analog Kid

New World Man

The Enemy Within

The Weapon

Between the Wheels

Lock and Key

Middletown Dreams

Was a major letdown for me. I thought for sure we would get at least half those songs on this collection as a time capsule for the synth era. At least they did get Analog Kid, The Weapon, Enemy Within and Between The Wheels and Digital Man on a live release. So I can't complain that much. But at the time of this albums release I really was hoping for it.

A Show of hands get's flack from those that did not like this particular era of Rush.

It is my 3rd favorite live album from them.

I only have the CD (unable to get the DVD in region 4 over here) but personally it is one of my fav's (I love PoW).

The thing I like about ASOH is that it is different from the other live albums, and is a time capsule of the synth era. I think anyone who particularly likes that era can go to this album/CD and enjoy it start to finish. The sound is great, and I couldn't think of a better way to 'wrap up' the synth years than with this.

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jan 18 2011, 08:45 PM)
My only problem with it is that it sounds too distant. It sounds like it was recorded from outside of the arena.

I agree. I thought that it sounded weaker than ESL. Not enough grit.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 18 2011, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jan 18 2011, 08:45 PM)
My only problem with it is that it sounds too distant. It sounds like it was recorded from outside of the arena.

I agree. I thought that it sounded weaker than ESL. Not enough grit.

it sounds ball-less, just like HYF and Presto which it was sandwiched in between.

Archived