A Show of Hands

micgtr71

When ASOH first came out I didn't like it. All The World's A Stage was a complete show. Exit Stage Left made an attempt at representing a complete show. Every live album after ASOH was a complete show or a facsimile of one. ASOH just seems like a collection of live songs. The DVD is better for me because even though some songs get repeated on each live album we get to hear (and see) them the way they sound at each stage of the band.

As far as the sound goes... eh... Well, I was not a fan of the Alex 80s guitar sound. Thank God he found his Fenders and that big old white Gibson again. When he gets out that big white monster and Geddy is playing a Fender Jazz bass they sound like the thick gritty power trio they should be.

With time ASOH has grown on me. I was in an 80s synth mood last month and listened to all of them including ASOH. I still like the boots from that era better, but it is a Rush album which makes it better than 95% of the other pop crap from the time. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 20 2011, 07:38 AM)
When ASOH first came out I didn't like it. All The World's A Stage was a complete show. Exit Stage Left made an attempt at representing a complete show. Every live album after ASOH was a complete show or a facsimile of one. ASOH just seems like a collection of live songs. The DVD is better for me because even though some songs get repeated on each live album we get to hear (and see) them the way they sound at each stage of the band.

As far as the sound goes... eh... Well, I was not a fan of the Alex 80s guitar sound. Thank God he found his Fenders and that big old white Gibson again. When he gets out that big white monster and Geddy is playing a Fender Jazz bass they sound like the thick gritty power trio they should be.

With time ASOH has grown on me. I was in an 80s synth mood last month and listened to all of them including ASOH. I still like the boots from that era better, but it is a Rush album which makes it better than 95% of the other pop crap from the time. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I do enhoy seeing the evolution of a song through the years. Limelight is one that I particularly enjoy as I have seen it on almost each tour since I started going to Rush shows.

Love it - It was actually a obscure sounding 99p tape in a boot sale of Asoh that kicked the whole Rush fandom off for me in the first place.

I think it was parts of witchhunt and big money that got me into exploring the band more

I really like big money,marathon, mission, witch hunt and mystic rythms

QUOTE (N.O.RUSH @ Jan 20 2011, 04:03 PM)
It is hands down my favorite live RUSH CD. I probably have listened to that CD more than any other RUSH CD i own.

Really ???

OK, I am going to give this a listen tonight as I cook dinner. I am hoping that it takes me back to the late 80s. I don't think I have listened to this one since my freshman year in college back in 90. Looking forward to this.

You have made me a little jealous. I go through the occasional dry spell where I don't listen to Rush for a month or two, but since I "discovered" them in the early 1980s they are never far from my ears.

ASOH is such a good topic to discuss because we have seen that some folks say it is their favorite and others hate it.

I like to think that as time moves on I get a bit more open minded. I didn't like it at first, but as I said earlier in this thread, it has grown on me. The funny this is that I never actually quit listening to it (or any Rush album). I like them all... Some I just like better.

A friend of mine in college was a casual Rush fan... the only CDs he had were Moving Pictures, Exit Stage Left, and A Show of Hands. We went to Rush shows together in 1990 and 1992 (he also managed to see them on the S&A tour).

As a result, I heard ASOH quite a bit. I didn't listen to it much on my own because we would often listen to it when we were hanging out.

ASOH isn't BAD.....it's just that the time period it comes from featured a very different sounding Rush....thin sparkle-y sounding guitars with a ton of processing and effects and Geddy's snappy Wal bass. Plus there was a heavy layer of echo and EQ on Geddys vocals which took the edge off of everything.

That and the songs from GUP/PW/HYF were constructed in such a way that playing them live didn't make them sound really any different than the studio versions.

It's not bad, I actually have the tape of ASOH in my older car with a tape deck, but its really outdated sounding to me compared to the newer live albums

Ok, so I dragged the vinyl out and listened to the whole thing last night. I enjoyed it. It sounded a lot better than I remember it sounding and the song list was fine. I did notice a few things. The longest side was 19 minutes or so and side 2 was only around 15 minutes. There was definitely some room for more music and it was clear that the set was put together with the 70 minute cd format in mind. If they had only pulled a Maiden and made 25 minute album sides, the collection could have been fantastic. That would add 5 songs in my estimation and it still would have fit the 4 side lp configuration. If only I could go back in time with suggestions....

Archived