New Year's Eve

Janie

We always lay low. New Year's Eve to me has always been about getting together with family and celebrating. My grandmother's birthday was New Year's Eve so it was a double celebration. I've never enjoyed doing the big party thing on New Year's. Besides, we have kids now and it's much more fun for me to hang at home with them, eat a lot of bad-for-me foods and stay up late. Ooh, and have some champagne.

What are your plans and/or traditions?

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 29 2010, 03:13 PM)
We always lay low. New Year's Eve to me has always been about getting together with family and celebrating. My grandmother's birthday was New Year's Eve so it was a double celebration. I've never enjoyed doing the big party thing on New Year's. Besides, we have kids now and it's much more fun for me to hang at home with them, eat a lot of bad-for-me foods and stay up late. Ooh, and have some champagne.

I'm planning an impromptu visit to your house Janie...

wink.gif

I have to work until 6:00 NYE, and if we don't end up going to my mom's, I'm making dinner for my BF and myself and we're watching Rush In Rio that I'm borrowing from a customer, with a break to watch the ball drop. I kid my not-as-crazy-about-Rush BF that it's gonna be New Year's Screamin' Eve with Geddy Lee tongue.gif

The next day, we're going to a small observatory that my BF's astronomy club owns for a champagne toast. That, and probably get together with his neighbors.

Tradition is that DH makes "his" chili, which he does quite well. We stay in, may or may not have champagne. Not much out of the ordinary. Last two years I think I have rung in the New Year in Chat here. I know I did in 2009.

It took a few letdowner "celebrations" to realize that NYE is way too overhyped, with far too much pressure to HAVE FUN, DAMN YOU!

I'll be stuck on the rig, so just another day.

Hogmanay used to be a really big deal in Scotland...it still is considered more important than Christmas in many places.

When I was younger, my Grandparents who lived in Dunbar (a fishing town 30 miles from Edinburgh where my mother grew up) had this really big house and it was basically open doors to everyone...the party would go on for a week or more, and there were always folk there regardless of the hour...good times.

You could feel your liver expanding hour by hour though....

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 29 2010, 10:08 PM)
Tradition is that DH makes "his" chili, which he does quite well. We stay in, may or may not have champagne. Not much out of the ordinary. Last two years I think I have rung in the New Year in Chat here. I know I did in 2009.

It took a few letdowner "celebrations" to realize that NYE is way too overhyped, with far too much pressure to HAVE FUN, DAMN YOU!

I agree. Way too much hype. I spent a few NYE celebrations doing the party thing and I never dug it. I'm looking forward to this NYE. I'll have a fire in the fireplace and put nibbly food bits all around. I'll probably make a little blanket fort for Aedan in the living room and hang out in there with him, watching the ball drop in NY. smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 29 2010, 01:24 PM)

wink.gif

Nnnno.

Besides, I just dyed my hair a deep, dark brown so there's no chance of us re-dying it to that red shade you talk about. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 30 2010, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 29 2010, 01:24 PM)

wink.gif

Nnnno.

Besides, I just dyed my hair a deep, dark brown so there's no chance of us re-dying it to that red shade you talk about. tongue.gif

It's ok I'm in a "Brunette Janie" mood...

wink.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 30 2010, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 29 2010, 10:08 PM)
Tradition is that DH makes "his" chili, which he does quite well.  We stay in, may or may not have champagne.  Not much out of the ordinary.  Last two years I think I have rung in the New Year in Chat here. I know I did in 2009.

I agree. Way too much hype. I spent a few NYE celebrations doing the party thing and I never dug it. I'm looking forward to this NYE. I'll have a fire in the fireplace and put nibbly food bits all around. I'll probably make a little blanket fort for Aedan in the living room and hang out in there with him, watching the ball drop in NY. smile.gif

i love the food bits especially the pigs in a blanket.

Staying in with the kiddos and watching DVD's and using the new KINECT if we can figure out how to get the damn thing to work with the tv angry.gif wacko.gif We've finally got snow here and it will be below zero so staying cozy inside is the way to go.

I drive a mile down the street to my best friends house where our family's eat lots of good food, and my friend and I consume some high quality beers and enjoy a nice night. I do this every year and its always a great time. atickhum.gif

No plans...just me and the boy. He'll be asleep, the "hoopla" of NYE doesnt interest him. I will open my little Hickory Farm box o goodies and a bottle of wine and I'll be here/FB with all of you!

I'm kinda hoping though, that 2011 brings someone to kiss me at midnight next NYE. Just a thought...

I will be watching my DVR recordings of Packer games....and then I won't sleep at all because I'll be so wired about the Packer-Bear game on Sunday...... wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

Yes, I'm obsessed about the Green Bay Packers. I've had worse obsessions, though.... wink.gif wink.gif

Having some friends over from the Seattle area. Good food, beer and some whiskey. Maybe a little jam session. Laughing at silly shit. feed them some top sirloin and eggs the next day and send them home. 2010 was a year of definite change. We're all still here. In case I don't see you here, good times and best of luck to you and all those you care about.

Peace, Love, and metal epics.

Gonna stay home and hang out with my wife and son. I like to stay off the roads. We will make a nice dinner and watch some films...probably listen to some Rush. by midnight, my near 40 year old a** will probably be asleep.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Dec 30 2010, 10:21 PM)
I will be watching my DVR recordings of Packer games....and then I won't sleep at all because I'll be so wired about the Packer-Bear game on Sunday...... wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

Yes, I'm obsessed about the Green Bay Packers. I've had worse obsessions, though.... wink.gif wink.gif

I have one of the Broncos Packers Superbowl that I love to watch! My Broncos were disrespected and made a 14 point underdog. I knew they would win outright! 1022.gif

Happy New Year!!! atickhum.gif

only having fun with ya.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 31 2010, 08:56 AM)
I have one of the Broncos Packers Superbowl that I love to watch! My Broncos were disrespected and made a 14 point underdog. I knew they would win outright! 1022.gif

Happy New Year!!! atickhum.gif

only having fun with ya.

OUCH!! That HURT!!! fists crying.gif fists crying.gif wink.gif

That Super Bowl loss was devastating to Packer fans, but I gave the Broncos credit for a simple-but-brilliant gameplan. They ran Terrell Davis left, right, left, right...and away from LeRoy Butler. They exhausted the Packers' huge but aging D-Line, and Davis was the difference. Without him, the Packers would have won.

Can't believe that was THIRTEEN years ago..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Meh its just another day really - like Fridge said it used to be huge in Scotland, with parties going on for days but thats dying a death now - although the other Scottish tradition of having steak pie on New Years day hasn't disappeared thank god laugh.gif

I think I'll be abed by midnight too

Archived