The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

Saw them in May (birthday present) and it was an emotional experience as it was the first time I'd seen them in 29 years! (Seventh Son tour).

I thought they still had it, and Bruce's' voice was in very good shape...true, he sings a couple of songs in a slightly different way, and occasionally his sustain was not what it was, but the man is nearly 60, and it was a great performance.....like others though, I am surprised they don't tune down a half step as it would be scarcely noticeable and would certainly extend Bruce's singing life.

Not too familiar with much of the later stuff, and never liked Fear of the Dark anyway, but some songs on the latest album sounded pretty good.

• Like 1

Omg! Well I ended up going and had ga up close, got totally dehydrated after ghost was over, made my way off the floor, passed out had to go to the hospital and missed the entire iron maiden show...

Oh that sucks. Getting overheated is my biggest fear at gigs. I don't cope well...annoyingly

Omg! Well I ended up going and had ga up close, got totally dehydrated after ghost was over, made my way off the floor, passed out had to go to the hospital and missed the entire iron maiden show...

Blame Bruce for that. Maiden requests that the air conditioning to be turned off when they play indoors. Something about how the air can have a bad effect on vocal chords. Bruce is very particular about keeping his voice in good shape. Unfortunately this means their shows can get hotter than balls.

Sucks you had to miss the show because of that. I guess the best advice I can give is to always make sure you get a bottle of water at the concessions before you go into the main show area.

• Like 1

Blame Bruce for that. Maiden requests that the air conditioning to be turned off when they play indoors. Something about how the air can have a bad effect on vocal chords. Bruce is very particular about keeping his voice in good shape. Unfortunately this means their shows can get hotter than balls.

Sucks you had to miss the show because of that. I guess the best advice I can give is to always make sure you get a bottle of water at the concessions before you go into the main show area.

Yes, I had heard that. Plus the doctor at the hospital told me about 10 people had come in the night before for that very reason. The ironic thing is I bought a pretzel before Ghost started and was going to get water but they take the cap off the bottle and I didn't want to be standing around with the bottle of open water . And I actually had a cap in my bag that I bring with me but I wasn't sure if it was going to fit. So then I said can I get it in the cup with the lid and she said they don't use lids .... something about it can't be sealed which makes no sense to me but I guess that's some sort of security thing or something I don't know.

It was cool being so close to Ghost though, they're totally out there and their masks kind of freaked me out but it was interesting .

Oh that sucks. Getting overheated is my biggest fear at gigs. I don't cope well...annoyingly

apparently, neither do I. I'd had more to eat and drink when I saw them in Philly and was ok there. But yes this will certainly give me pause the next time a GA show comes up.
  • Like 1

About a week after I've saw them for the first time, it appears I have caught a MAJOR iron maiden bug and I can't stop listening to them.
  • Like 4

About a week after I've saw them for the first time, it appears I have caught a MAJOR iron maiden bug and I can't stop listening to them.

Isn´t it great when you´re addicted to a band and have so much good material to draw from? Rock on, man!!!!I´ve seen them a bunch of times, and haven´t seen the guys this excited to be on stage in a long time!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

Im into Iron Maiden currently...but I tend to find the second I play one song, I am in it for the long haul!

Truly one of the greats!

• Like 2

I listened to Fear of the Dark today, after a looooooong time!!! It has aged better than I thought, except for Nicko´s snare sound. This album required some serious trimming, but there are good songs there which have long been forgotten and/or never played live: Judas Be My Guide, Be Quick or Be Dead, From here to Eternity, The Fugitive...it´s sort of a continuation of No Prayer, with a MUCH better production, keyboards back to provide ambience, and the attempt to broaden their scope lyrically. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn´t - The Apparition and Weekend Warrior are throwaway tracks at best. It was the first tour when I saw Maiden, with UK rockers Thunder as opening acts. Man, were they booed on stage!!!! I bought FOTD on my birthday in 1992, it was my first year in college and a tough time for me. I moved to Rio then, and had a hard time to socialize there, since it was all new and college was particularly tough at the beginning. As always, metal music was a great companion!!!

Fear does have some good songs. I would love to see them do Be Quick Or Be Dead. From Here To Eternity seems like it would be a fun live tune. Enjoyed seeing them do Afraid To Shoot Strangers in 2012.

I think Wasting Love is the exact way a metal band should write a love ballad. Childhood's End is good as well and we all know how good the title track is live. Not much else on that album did much for me. For better or worse you could tell the band needed a change. Especially on the live recordings from that tour. Bruce's heart just wasn't in it at the time. It seems that Adrian leaving sucked all of Bruce's passion for the band away.

• Like 1

Bruce's heart just wasn't in it at the time. It seems that Adrian leaving sucked all of Bruce's passion for the band away.

Which was strange, since Bruce himself suggested that Jannick joined the band. But I agree. It seems that with FOTD they were trying to squeeze in as much as possible in an album - quantity over quality. They got a new lease of life when Blaze joined, but that quickly waned off as well. I think Bruce and Adrian had to leave to feel like they needed Maiden again.

I just checked Google Play, with the best intention of buying Live at Donnington. But the tracklist is all in "A Real Live One" and "A Real Dead One", with one sole exception: Wrathchild, which is featured in a gazillion other releases. The only attraction in thsi album is Adrian Smith´s presence in Running Free, but that´s not exactly a song where his musical prowess is displayed. So NO THANKS!!!

I don't know why everyone else dislikes Janick Gers. Great guitarist, great songwriter and as a bonus, he is so entertaining to watch onstage! I love how he's not afraid to be show-offy.

And besides, he wrote a lot of great songs, Fear of The Dark and Book Of Souls are just two of them.

I don't know why everyone else dislikes Janick Gers. Great guitarist, great songwriter and as a bonus, he is so entertaining to watch onstage! I love how he's not afraid to be show-offy.

And besides, he wrote a lot of great songs, Fear of The Dark and Book Of Souls are just two of them.

If you were a fan before he joined (that's my case), he's tough to watch. Also, he's quite sloppy with his solos, and ruined a lot of Adrian's perfect solos when he joined - especially Two Minutes to Midnight. But lately I've come to realize he's important to the band, and joined them at a difficult time. He also helped bring out more showmanship from Dave, who was mostly static before he joined. He's a good composer, but some of the songs he writes have a VERY similar structure - notice, for example, how Talisman and The Book of Souls start with the same acoustic pattern.

• Like 1

So I posted this in Earl´s recent thread about Ghost and Maiden, but I don´t think anyone´s seen it - here's my review of the show, in Portuguese. I'm not expecting you to read it, but hope you enjoy the photos:

https://whiplash.net...ironmaiden.html

I liked your review of the Ghost show!

:ebert:

Steve Harris wrote Fear Of The Dark. And if you think he had any sort of huge contribution to Book Of Souls outside of writing the pointless intro than you've still got a lot to learn about the band. The bulk of that song was written by Harris and that's what makes it good.

As for his show off stage antics, he's not showing anything off. He's just staying active to show it looks like he's actually doing something. In reality, he adds nothing special to them except for the three guitarist thing looks cool.

Adrian, Dave and Steve are the ones who do all the work musically on stage.

• Like 1

If you were a fan before he joined (that's my case), he's tough to watch. Also, he's quite sloppy with his solos, and ruined a lot of Adrian's perfect solos when he joined - especially Two Minutes to Midnight. But lately I've come to realize he's important to the band, and joined them at a difficult time. He also helped bring out more showmanship from Dave, who was mostly static before he joined. He's a good composer, but some of the songs he writes have a VERY similar structure - notice, for example, how Talisman and The Book of Souls start with the same acoustic pattern.

Absolutely Rod. Got your back on this one. Gers is obviously a talented guitarist, but he sure as shit doesn't belong in Maiden. Why the hell Maiden needs three guitar players is beyond me!

Panic Gerks Off is Superfluous with a capital S! Useless in Maiden. However, good for him. A free paycheck for just getting in the way of Smith and Murray. I mean seriously. What if KK came back to Judas Priest?????? Would Halford and the boys keep Faulkner in the band?????

I think Faulkner blows Janick away into outer space.

Steve Harris wrote Fear Of The Dark. And if you think he had any sort of huge contribution to Book Of Souls outside of writing the pointless intro than you've still got a lot to learn about the band. The bulk of that song was written by Harris and that's what makes it good.

As for his show off stage antics, he's not showing anything off. He's just staying active to show it looks like he's actually doing something. In reality, he adds nothing special to them except for the three guitarist thing looks cool.

Haha! J! I was just going to post that! Jesus! Like I said, "Panic" At The Disco is a lucky man. On the Maiden payroll for looking like an ass clown. His writing contributions are just as important to the band has him wanking off on stage. Useless like an Eddie mascot walking around on stage with big boobs and lipstick!

You can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.

Iron Maiden isn't pretty with three guitar players on stage. JMO

So I posted this in Earl´s recent thread about Ghost and Maiden, but I don´t think anyone´s seen it - here's my review of the show, in Portuguese. I'm not expecting you to read it, but hope you enjoy the photos:

https://whiplash.net...ironmaiden.html

I liked your review of the Ghost show!

:ebert:

Did you manage to get a proper translation of it?

If Gers can write a Maiden classic on his own without the help of superior writers like Steve, Bruce and Adrian then maybe I'll finally give him some respect as a song writer.

But we Maiden Madmen know that will NEVER happen.

Gers did write a lot of Bruce's first solo album, and has played with Gillan and Fish. But if Maiden ditched him, I wouldn't miss him. You can definitely tell how he's been doing less and less on stage since Adrian came back.

f**k I was thinking of Be Quick or Be Dead, not Fear of the Dark (right album wrong song lol)

Anyway, the point is whether you like Janick's guitar playing and stage presence or not, you can't change the fact that he was responsible for co-writing a lot of great Maiden songs.