The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Oct 7 2011, 08:24 PM)
I picked up The Final Frontier randomly last year. I immedietly fell in love with that album. It made me a Maiden fan and they are among my 10 favorite bands of all time. Favorite songs are "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "These Colors Don't Run", "When The Wild Wind Blows", and "The Number of the Beast".

I remembered borrowing Edward the Great from my library last year and really enjoyed it....but then I kind of forgot about them and that was that. But then this summer for some reason I just had that bug that made me want to seriously try to get into them, and picked up The Final Frontier. I'm glad I'm not the only one who became a fan because of The Final Frontier. Now they're my 2nd favorite band behind Rush and ahead of Porcupine Tree.

As much as how untouchable their first 7 albums were, I really love the newer stuff they're doing. Besides songs like Stranger in a Strange Land, Aces High, Moonchild and Hallowed Be Thy Name, most of my favorite songs come from their newer albums like Ghost of the Navigator, Brave New World, Rainmaker, Dance of Death, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, These Colors Don't Run and When The Wild Wind Blows.

Hopefully they tour again soon so I can see them for the first time since I missed their last tour.

QUOTE (BethOfSyrinx @ Oct 8 2011, 12:36 PM)
Up the irons! 1022.gif

Maiden wub.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Oh well, wherever, wherever you are

Iron Maiden's going to get you, no matter how far

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I remember when my son was about 5 he was looking at my records and found maiden. He made me put on Powerslave and sat on the couch looking at the covers for the length of the record.

QUOTE (Natural Rush @ Oct 28 2011, 03:58 PM)
New maiden album is total garbage , ok the first couple of songs are ok and the rest they lost the plot

I don't get this. The First song is the Worst on the album. The rest is great.......imo

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 1 2011, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (Natural Rush @ Oct 28 2011, 03:58 PM)
New maiden album is total garbage  ,  ok  the first couple of songs are ok and the rest they lost the plot

I don't get this. The First song is the Worst on the album. The rest is great.......imo

I agree. Other than their stuff in the 90's, the band hasn't made a bad ablum.

In my opinion, out of all the songs Blaze has ever done with Maiden, only 7 of them are considered to be "classic" or decent tracks. They are:

1. Sign of the Cross

2. Lord of the Flies

3. Man on the Edge

4. Virus

5. Futureal

6. The Angel and the Gambler

7. The Clansmen

Blaze had his moments, but unfortunately the bad moments outweigh the good because other than his own songs, he can't sing Bruce's songs for s**t and the only other song he could sing with some proficiency was Wrathchild. Live he looked like some middle aged man singing karaoke. Yet before and after Maiden, he's not so bad.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Nov 2 2011, 06:10 PM)
In my opinion, out of all the songs Blaze has ever done with Maiden, only 7 of them are considered to be "classic" or decent tracks. They are:
1. Sign of the Cross
2. Lord of the Flies
3. Man on the Edge
4. Virus
5. Futureal
7. The Clansmen

Blaze had his moments, but unfortunately the bad moments outweigh the good because other than his own songs, he can't sing Bruce's songs for s**t and the only other song he could sing with some proficiency was Wrathchild. Live he looked like some middle aged man singing karaoke. Yet before and after Maiden, he's not so bad.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Nov 2 2011, 05:42 PM)
Yet when Bruce sings a few Blaze songs live, (Clansman, Sign of the Cross, Man on the Edge....) he does a great job.

That is because Bruce can Sing laugh.gif

1. Sign of the Cross
2. Lord of the Flies
3. Man on the Edge
4. Virus
5. Futureal
7. The Clansmen

The Angel And The Gambler is one of the worst songs ever! Repeat the f*ckin chorus a million times for a few minutes= absolute crap. Virus is pretty shitty too. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 17 2012, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Nov 2 2011, 05:42 PM)
Yet when Bruce sings a few Blaze songs live, (Clansman, Sign of the Cross, Man on the Edge....) he does a great job.

That is because Bruce can Sing laugh.gif

trink39.gif goodpost.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 17 2012, 03:23 PM)
1. Sign of the Cross
2. Lord of the Flies
3. Man on the Edge
4. Virus
5. Futureal
7. The Clansmen

The Angel And The Gambler is one of the worst songs ever! Repeat the f*ckin chorus a million times for a few minutes= absolute crap. Virus is pretty shitty too. 062802puke_prv.gif

Yeah, The Angel And The Gambler is completely horrible. A lot of the Blaze stuff is shitty, but this may be the biggest turd of them all.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jan 18 2012, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 17 2012, 03:23 PM)
1. Sign of the Cross
2. Lord of the Flies
3. Man on the Edge
4. Virus
5. Futureal
7. The Clansmen

Yeah, The Angel And The Gambler is completely horrible. A lot of the Blaze stuff is shitty, but this may be the biggest turd of them all.

I take back what I said now that I listened to the Blaze era stuff again recently. Every song I said was good except Virus and The Angel and the Gambler are the only good Blaze era songs. Now I think The Angel and the Gambler is longer than it should be, and that Virus is an okay song...not considered good.

Recently Janick admitted that the band was a fault for letting Blaze sing Bruce's songs which were out of range for him. They really should've detuned the songs by a semitone or two when he was in the band. I give him credit for giving all he got with the band but I bet many of us would like him better if he sang the songs (with the exception of Wrathchild maybe) in a lower key to fit with his vocal range.

Picking a top 15 songs with this group is hard. It would definitely include:

Number of the Best

Run to the Hills

Flight of Icarus

The Trooper

Revelations

Aces High

2 Minutes to Midnight

Powerslave

Practically all of the 7th Son and Somewhere in Time Albums

Sooo many good songs, esp. in the Number of the Beast through 7th Son period. After that I thought the band tailed off a bit.

Even though its not strictly "Maiden" work, Bruce's first solo album, Tattooed Millionaire, was really good. Born in 58 and the title track were real good songs.

Saw them on the Somewhere in Time Tour with Waystead opening. Good show but nothing great. Some guy I knew told me it was the 22nd time he had seen them and it was the worst he had ever seen them so I guess I was unlucky to have seen them on an off night.

The Angel & The Gambler would be a good tune if it was cut down to around five minutes or so and they got rid of the cheesy synth in it. I'm not sure what Steve Harris was trying to asccomplish with that song but repeating the same line 300 times just completely kills any enjoyment the song might have had. It really makes the song unbearable. I wonder if Steve lost a bet with someone where if he lost he had to come up with the most annoying Maiden song ever. There is absolutely no reason for the song to be that damn long.

The album does have so good songs like Futureal, The Clansman, Lightning Strikes Twice and When Two Worlds Collide. Lightning and Two Worlds are instant classics if Bruce sang on them because those songs were so obviously written for his higher vocal range.