Geddy Lee / Eddie Van Halen

tripdad

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 16 2011, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 15 2011, 11:19 PM)
Imagine Lifeson vs. Michael Anthony. They'd probably say "f**k it" and go split a burger and a bottle of Jack Daniels

No they'd probably challenge each other to an eating contest! One hundred cakes in 10 minutes! Winner gets to bang Valerie Bertinelli. If Mike wins Eddie VH has to watch while tied to a chair. If Alex wins he gets to bang her and she makes him another hundred cakes to go!

biggrin.gif

Nah, that's the treeduck vs. JohnnyBlaze contest trink38.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 16 2011, 12:50 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 16 2011, 01:34 PM)
Imagine Lifeson vs. Michael Anthony. They'd probably say "f**k it" and go split a burger and a bottle of Jack Daniels

No they'd probably challenge each other to an eating contest! One hundred cakes in 10 minutes! Winner gets to bang Valerie Bertinelli. If Mike wins Eddie VH has to watch while tied to a chair. If Alex wins he gets to bang her and she makes him another hundred cakes to go!

biggrin.gif

Nah, that's the treeduck vs. JohnnyBlaze contest trink38.gif

laugh.gif

trink39.gif

cool10.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 16 2011, 12:34 AM)

biggrin.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Eddie is definitely overrated......for crissake he almost never solos in the key of the tune....a bunch of weeooouuu woooee noisy Eddie tricks have had people fooled for years. Half of his stuff does not even have a song structure worth commenting on.

and now he is a drunk who acts obnoxious at NAMM events.

Steve Vai eats his lunch ....and actually has a clue about composition, musicality and soloing.

Oh and DLR was the best frontman for that band...period. Sammy..? Ugh...Cherone? Are you kidding me?

Edited by druid13

I'm sure that something between the two bands must have happened. Maybe it wasn't exactly as described, but I bet something did happen. Usually, there's some small thing that people make into a big to-do and that's how these rumours start. But I do think that there must have been some event between the two. Maybe nothing bad really happened. Maybe there was a joke or something. Who knows. But there must be a seed for this tree of a rumour to grow from.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 16 2011, 05:41 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 15 2011, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 16 2011, 03:57 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 25 2010, 07:52 AM)
No offense, but Geddy just reminds me of the guy who gets beat up. lolz.

No offense to him, obviously, but I don't think he could take on a drunk EVH.

Alex probably could though.

I think theyd both be very lame fighters. Itd look like two praying mantises fighting. Now NEP vs. AVH - thatd be a fight. Theyd bother do some great "speed bag" on each others heads...

What's a "speed bag"?

When you see boxers training they use punching bags as you know. The big ones are called heavy bags and are mostly used to practice body punching. There's lots of other types but the other main one is actually more of a short hung ball that is used to improve timing, and called a speed bag. If you've ever seen boxing depicted in movies or boxers training shown on the news or in a film or documentary you'll have seen them many times.

I've seen movies that feature speed bags and heavy bags, but I never knew what they were called. Thanks, Duck! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 17 2011, 03:16 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 16 2011, 05:41 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 15 2011, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 16 2011, 03:57 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 25 2010, 07:52 AM)
No offense, but Geddy just reminds me of the guy who gets beat up. lolz.

No offense to him, obviously, but I don't think he could take on a drunk EVH.

Alex probably could though.

I think theyd both be very lame fighters. Itd look like two praying mantises fighting. Now NEP vs. AVH - thatd be a fight. Theyd bother do some great "speed bag" on each others heads...

What's a "speed bag"?

When you see boxers training they use punching bags as you know. The big ones are called heavy bags and are mostly used to practice body punching. There's lots of other types but the other main one is actually more of a short hung ball that is used to improve timing, and called a speed bag. If you've ever seen boxing depicted in movies or boxers training shown on the news or in a film or documentary you'll have seen them many times.

I've seen movies that feature speed bags and heavy bags, but I never knew what they were called. Thanks, Duck! trink39.gif

No probs Kitty!

bekloppt.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (sco703 @ Sep 17 2011, 03:23 PM)
I'm sure that something between the two bands must have happened. Maybe it wasn't exactly as described, but I bet something did happen. Usually, there's some small thing that people make into a big to-do and that's how these rumours start. But I do think that there must have been some event between the two. Maybe nothing bad really happened. Maybe there was a joke or something. Who knows. But there must be a seed for this tree of a rumour to grow from.

It really could go either way. I remember when folks thought that weird looking pad thang on Peart's chest in the Vital Signs vid was some sort of medical device he needed due to health problems. And, uh yeah, those people were drastically wrong. It was a mic.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 17 2011, 01:56 AM)
QUOTE (sco703 @ Sep 17 2011, 03:23 PM)

It really could go either way. I remember when folks thought that weird looking pad thang on Peart's chest in the Vital Signs vid was some sort of medical device he needed due to health problems. And, uh yeah, those people were drastically wrong. It was a mic.

I never knew that, and then again I didn't know about a video for Vital Signs. But it just goes to show that people like to run with stuff even if they don't know the truth.

I heard this similar rumor with the addition of this fight being the reason for geddy's nose being so huge. Of course there was also a rumor peart had lung cancer, so I don't believe it. That's too hot a story to have had zero press coverage.

VH was finished by Diver Down . Now he is trying to make a comeback but it won't work . Ed can't play sober . Blame Jan and a German shepherd who bit Eddie .So his dad gave him a smoke and a beer at age 12 to get over the pain . Jan died at 62 from drinking . Ed for being schooled in classical piano as a child does not play in any particular key . as stated above that is correct . I get tired of tuning down 1/4 step to play his dave era songs also. If Geddy punched the idiot in the nose more power to Geddy! If you want to know what a sweetheart Eddie is read Sammy's new book . Hint don't fly with Ed ! fing.gif trink38.gif wub.gif

Another thing...the spilled beer story I do believe seeing as I heard about it almost 30 years ago now....

basically it was around the time of Permanent Waves...beer spilled into boom box....Eddie or Alex VH also remarked they liked different strings.

I do not believe anyone was punched though. I think Rush basically regarded thei behavior as punkish at the time though...it drew a pretty strong contrast between the 2 bands personalities.

Rumors... shoomers

I remember when I was in high school and Rush cam to town in 1981 or 82. Someone said Neil Peart was 41. Oh my God! He's an old man. Let's see if I can do math... That would make him 71 now.

Where do these rumors come from? Someone gets dunk or high or both and then a story spreads. I remember that old, but wise saying: believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. wacko.gif

QUOTE (druid13 @ Sep 19 2011, 12:49 PM)
Another thing...the spilled beer story I do believe seeing as I heard about it almost 30 years ago now....

basically it was around the time of Permanent Waves...beer spilled into boom box....Eddie or Alex VH also remarked they liked different strings.

I do not believe anyone was punched though. I think Rush basically regarded thei behavior as punkish at the time though...it drew a pretty strong contrast between the 2 bands personalities.

stronger than rush and kiss? laugh.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 20 2011, 12:16 AM)
Rumors... shoomers

I remember when I was in high school and Rush cam to town in 1981 or 82. Someone said Neil Peart was 41. Oh my God! He's an old man. Let's see if I can do math... That would make him 71 now.

Where do these rumors come from? Someone gets dunk or high or both and then a story spreads. I remember that old, but wise saying: believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. wacko.gif

ahh in the days before cell phone cameras and the internet...

'rush's farewell tour rumor'

'neil has cancer rumor'

and so forth...

I do think that Rush and VH are more different than Rush and KISS.....KISS puts on the whole party routine rock n Roll thing....VH lived it.

The two guys who decided to live it all the time are now gone Peter and Ace....

Besides its been stated many times that KISS were good tour mates...unlike Aerosmith.

I do think a drink got spilled in a boom box...I don't think any big fight broke out.

VH was never declared winner...that is total nonsense.

This was more than rumor...I remember reading it in published rock magazines of the day.

Old thread. But an interesting one. :)

They never toured together to my knowledge.

There certainly is no love shared between EVH and Geddy, that's fairly common knowledge.

But man, what a monster co-billing tour that woulda been.

IF something did happen, I guess Rush had the last laugh. Rush are close to the top of their game 41 years in and VH suck. Check out any current youtube clips of the band. Horrible. Edited by presto123

But EVH ripped off Xanadu in the song Pleasure Dome off of the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album.

I don't think it's a ripoff, it sounds more like a homage, given the song title and the similarity. And about Rush having the last laugh, Van Halen may somewhat suck these days because of Dave's voice, but they're not exactly struggling, are they? Massive tour coming up, several recent appearances in TV shows and awards...

But EVH ripped off Xanadu in the song Pleasure Dome off of the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album.

I don't think it's a ripoff, it sounds more like a homage, given the song title and the similarity. And about Rush having the last laugh, Van Halen may somewhat suck these days because of Dave's voice, but they're not exactly struggling, are they? Massive tour coming up, several recent appearances in TV shows and awards...

I think the poster meant that VH has not stood the test of time like Rush. Rush and early VH was some of the first music I ever listened to and I was a huge VH fan in the 80s.....they do sound pretty terrible now and I saw them on their last tour and they were a shell of their former selves....it's obvious that the partying and infighting has taken something from them. As for this urban legend, I doubt any fist a cuffs were thrown....maybe a small verbal beef but I don't see Geddy mixing it up like that.

Edited by LaVillaSean

IF something did happen, I guess Rush had the last laugh. Rush are close to the top of their game 41 years in and VH suck. Check out any current youtube clips of the band. Horrible.

True, but their last album sold well, as did the last tour, and so will this year's (not that I would even give EVH another penny), so while DLR's voice and act is a total train wreck now, they are doing well financially these days. For all of EVH's shitting all over most of the members of his band over the years and all of the other nonsense, it seems like most VH fans still love the music enough to go see them when they play.

IF something did happen, I guess Rush had the last laugh. Rush are close to the top of their game 41 years in and VH suck. Check out any current youtube clips of the band. Horrible.

True, but their last album sold well, as did the last tour, and so will this year's (not that I would even give EVH another penny), so while DLR's voice and act is a total train wreck now, they are doing well financially these days. For all of EVH's shitting all over most of the members of his band over the years and all of the other nonsense, it seems like most VH fans still love the music enough to go see them when they play.

Well yeah...when you are a legendary band people will still come out. Doesn't mean you should still be out there though. The songs I saw recently, Eddie was doing OK, but the rest of the band...meh....and Roth was downright a joke.

• Like 1