Geddy Lee / Eddie Van Halen

tripdad

IF something did happen, I guess Rush had the last laugh. Rush are close to the top of their game 41 years in and VH suck. Check out any current youtube clips of the band. Horrible.

True, but their last album sold well, as did the last tour, and so will this year's (not that I would even give EVH another penny), so while DLR's voice and act is a total train wreck now, they are doing well financially these days. For all of EVH's shitting all over most of the members of his band over the years and all of the other nonsense, it seems like most VH fans still love the music enough to go see them when they play.

Well yeah...when you are a legendary band people will still come out. Doesn't mean you should still be out there though. The songs I saw recently, Eddie was doing OK, but the rest of the band...meh....and Roth was downright a joke.

So true, a great example would be Metallica, most people who come to their concerts these days don't like any album that they did after 1991. And I think their playing is just horrible live.

Edited by Tuesday's Gone

IF something did happen, I guess Rush had the last laugh. Rush are close to the top of their game 41 years in and VH suck. Check out any current youtube clips of the band. Horrible.

True, but their last album sold well, as did the last tour, and so will this year's (not that I would even give EVH another penny), so while DLR's voice and act is a total train wreck now, they are doing well financially these days. For all of EVH's shitting all over most of the members of his band over the years and all of the other nonsense, it seems like most VH fans still love the music enough to go see them when they play.

Well yeah...when you are a legendary band people will still come out. Doesn't mean you should still be out there though. The songs I saw recently, Eddie was doing OK, but the rest of the band...meh....and Roth was downright a joke.

Yeah, Alex van halen sucks. Dude, come on. Yes, Roths vocals are shot , but Eddie AND Alex are in good form. I'd say Alex is in great form actually, the guy has always been solid and one of the best hard rock drummers of all time.

I'm tired of everyone basing the current VH on Roth and Roth alone. The musicianship is still stellar.

Yeah, Alex needs to hang up the sticks. Horrible!!

Edited by Xanadoood

Yeah, Alex van halen sucks. Dude, come on. Yes, Roths vocals are shot , but Eddie AND Alex are in good form. I'd say Alex is in great form actually, the guy has always been solid and one of the best hard rock drummers of all time.

I'm tired of everyone basing the current VH on Roth and Roth alone. The musicianship is still stellar.

Yeah, Alex needs to hang up the sticks. Horrible!!

Michael Anthony was a key cog to their sound both with his bass and more importantly his vocals. His backing vocals were an important part of their signature in my view. Not as big as Ed's playing obviously but big nonetheless. As you say Ed and Alex are still just fine thank you...
  • Like 2

This is the only time in my life I would say this but if I saw Geddy and Eddie throwing down at a bar I'd take a beer bottle to Eddie's head. Damn straight mo-fo.

Just as a side note. No debut album ever impacted me as much as theirs did when it came out. I was fortunate indeed to be around and very much engaged in music then. Blew me away like no other had or has. Seeing them open for Nugent on that tour was incredible indeed. They were unreal... :codger:
  • Like 1

I'd say that Wolfie is VH's link to reality these days. He's the one pushing his dad out of retirement, digging out deep cuts from their albums to play live, selecting demos to try to develop them for ADKOT, and the only band member to be active on the social networks.
  • Like 1

I might spend good money to see Van Halen live...might.

If some one gave me free Ratt tickets I might stay home the night of the show and watch reruns of Battlestar Galactica, The West Wing or Call the Midwife...depends on the weather.

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 1

Van Halen has gone the way of say......RATT?

What a ridiculously ignorant comment. Yeah, both bands had succes in the 80s, so their careers are similar. WTF?

<!--QuoteBegin-D3strukt+Dec 25 2010, 06:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (D3strukt @ Dec 25 2010, 06:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-tripdad+Dec 24 2010, 10:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (tripdad @ Dec 24 2010, 10:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Snyder80+Dec 24 2010, 08:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Snyder80 @ Dec 24 2010, 08:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think this sounds like total bullshit.� Anyone who believes a word of what David Lee Roth says is just as big of an idiot as he is.

Secondly, I don't care what period in history it was, if Lifeson was there I'm pretty sure EVH wouldn't want to f**k around too much because I'm pretty sure he'd get the shit kicked out of him.�

Thirdly EVH isn't fit to share the same dressing room as Alex Lifeson so who gives a shit.� The guy is an egomaniac from hell and is one of the most overrated guitar players that ever lived.� Wanna listen to a shredder from that time period, pop Blizzard of Ozz into your cd player and listen to the magic of Mr. Randy Rhoads. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Randy Rhoads was indeed one great guitarist, but you can't say EVH was over rated. Are you kidding me? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, Eddie IS over-rated. Like Jimi Hendrix, and Jimmy Paige.

The only thing Eddie ever did that was worthwile, was Eruption. Even that was blegh.

and don't even get me started on Van Halen after Hagar left. Yuk.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with EVH being overrated. And he doesn't have <i>anything</i> on Alex Lifeson.

Hendrix and Page? Hell NO!!!

EVH and Page are damn good, but over-rated..

Hendrix? You can't be over-rated when you're the best!!!!

Who the hell is Van Halen? ;)

They were this little California band in the 80's that used up all their rocket sauce in just a small handful of albums ;) ;)

Well, I tend to find most guitar fans, aficionados, and players pretty much agree on a standard top five in the rock genre, that deviates occasionally with the fifth slot. If you take out solo virtuosos, like Bonamassa, Vai, Malmsteen, DiMeola and so on, and you take out godfathers like BB or Buddy Guy, and stick strictly to band-based axe men, it's almost always the same list.

Hendrix

Clapton

Page

Eddie Van Halen

The fifth spots fluctuates often and tends to skew toward personal preference. I myself put Stevie Ray there...I dunno if there ever was a more soulful guitarist than SRV.

But plenty of folks advocate for Townshend, Richards, Gilmore, Knopfler, May, and so on. Even a certain Canuck we all know and adore.

Edited by Bard

Well, I tend to find most guitar fans, aficionados, and players pretty much agree on a standard top five in the rock genre, that deviates occasionally with the fifth slot. If you take out solo virtuosos, like Bonamassa, Vai, Malmsteen, DiMeola and so on, and you take out godfathers like BB or Buddy Guy, and stick strictly to band-based axe men, it's almost always the same list.

Hendrix

Clapton

Page

Eddie Van Halen

The fifth spots fluctuates often and tends to skew toward personal preference. I myself put Stevie Ray there...I dunno if there ever was a more soulful guitarist than SRV.

But plenty of folks advocate for Townshend, Richards, Gilmore, Knopfler, May, and so on. Even a certain Canuck we all know and adore.

SRV/RIP

..EVH/WTF

What a talentless arse!

Its called being entertaining at an arena rock show in 1986. MA is a solid bass player. This is clearly done for entertainment value. He has been sharing the stage in recent years with Kenny Aranoff...a drummer who is argubaly better then Neil. Oh and Chad Smith from the Chili Peppers..they have bassist named Flea, you may have heard of him. But yes, MA is a talantless hack. No drummers will play with him!

Rush fans can be such tight asses. Im so glad i can appreciate and get other bands who know what its like to let loose.

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

But EVH ripped off Xanadu in the song Pleasure Dome off of the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album.

Well if we don't get a Necromancer on the stage we can still get a Necromancer on the boards!

Michael Anthony is a great bass player. Not a shredder, but he sure can keep a beat and accent EVH's performance. Listen to the intro of Little Guitars for example.
  • Like 1

In fact, Mike is one of the best bassists in rock.

He can shred. You just have to see him outside of Van Halen live to see it.

I couldn't believe it the first time I saw him play with Sammy at a solo gig in Devore...around '05 or so. He came out and did a bass solo that was beyond words. We were utterly shocked. Goes to show how much Ed kept him playing in the pocket. EVH is such a spotlight whore. Geez.

Oh really, i'm sorry but to say he is one of the best bassists in rock is absolute garbage, he really shouldn't solo as he makes a fool of himself, show me something he can do on the bass that's worthy of that comment other than playing root notes! This is a recent clip, equally awful;

Edited by New Digital Man

Oh really, i'm sorry but to say he is one of the best bassists in rock is absolute garbage, he really shouldn't solo as he makes a fool of himself, show me something he can do on the bass that's worthy of that comment other than playing root notes! This is a recent clip, equally awful;

LOL. Like I said, if you actually saw him solo live outside of Van Halen, you'd know what I'm talking about.