"Black Friday" shopping

Mara

Do you actually hit the stores on Black Friday?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actually hit the stores on Black Friday?

• Yes. I love the whole experience - it puts me in the "spirit"
    • Yes, but I dread it; love the bargains, hate the crowds and the parking
    • No; I don't mind missing a few deals to avoid the zoo
    • No. It's a form of torture to me - in fact, I am not leaving the house that day
    • No, not worth it; Cyber Monday is where it's at!
    • No, because I am hyper-organized and am already done.

Well?

I hate shopping, hate malls, and have done about half my shopping already. Fortunately I have a small group to buy for.

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than face down Black Friday shopping. It brings out the absolute worst in people.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought sensible people stayed home and avoided the madness...

But just a few years back I learned even sensible people went out early and did it, for the remarkable sale prices. They even enjoy the insanity.

I personally have never done it, but my sister, my wife, and the husband in another couple we know - they all do it and like it!

Already done! I just hit a few sales throughout the year and my Christmas shopping is done! Yeah, I may save a few extra bucks by hitting the Black Friday sales but it's not worth it. Black Friday is a good day to go to the shooting range, there's no one there!

I don't even venture out of my house on Black Friday. The traffic is ridiculous.

Its a good day for computer gaming!

I believe a little research was done last year that showed most people buying heavily discounted big ticket items (like giant plasma TVs) were buying for themselves and not gift recipients.

I am increasingly a fan of Cyber Monday myself. I can have all the stuff delivered to me at work and never ever have to set foot in a mall. (I hate malls. Hate, hate, hate them).

I'll never forget that WalMart employee who got killed by a horde of stampeding Christmas shoppers two years ago. sad.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 19 2010, 11:44 AM)
I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than face down Black Friday shopping. It brings out the absolute worst in people.

I couldn't state it any better. This is how I feel, precisely.

Now that Santa lets us do our own shopping wink.gif this year is going to be much easier for me - and we have a small group to buy for as well.

I'll probably do some sort of hot cocoa mix in a jar type thing for teacher gifts, and then buy for close family - that's it.

I wouldn't go shopping on Black Friday for ANYTHING. Hate it.

No, because

- I am TERRIFIED of crowds.

- My family does not exchange presents ever.

- I can get bargains in other ways. I shop around

- Did I tell you that I am TERRIFIED of crowds?

I have worked on Black Friday before. I wanted to play the "Lone Ranger" part of the William Tell Overture to reflect the mood of the running shoppers.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Nov 19 2010, 12:43 PM)
Um, what does Black Friday mean..?

Traditionally, the Christmas shopping season begins "officially" the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S. Big shopping day = more money for retailers = they're "in the black" financially.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 19 2010, 02:11 PM)

Traditionally, the Christmas shopping season begins "officially" the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S. Big shopping day = more money for retailers = they're "in the black" financially.

Oh, I see. Even though I've read the messages, I just wanted to know what it's like in the US, what it's really like on Black Friday. Is it very busy & overcrowded in the malls, with frayed tempers in the queues? In England, people go nuts right up to Christmas Eve, & some demand refunds straight on Boxing Day. It scares me rigid being around too many people. Christmas Eve for me is just horrendous. If I haven't got it done before then, then I think: "Sod it..." I have to try to get it done about two weeks before.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Nov 19 2010, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 19 2010, 02:11 PM)

Oh, I see. Even though I've read the messages, I just wanted to know what it's like in the US, what it's really like on Black Friday. Is it very busy & overcrowded in the malls, with frayed tempers in the queues? In England, people go nuts right up to Christmas Eve, & some demand refunds straight on Boxing Day. It scares me rigid being around too many people. Christmas Eve for me is just horrendous. If I haven't got it done before then, then I think: "Sod it..." I have to try to get it done about two weeks before.

Yes, very busy, lots of "bargains" - some may be legitimate, some not so much. Some stores have what they call "doorbuster" prices on certain items.

Bet you can guess why they're called doorbusters.

NEVAR.

(Yes, "nevar". Emphasis on the misspelling.)

I don't leave the house. Or I run around the neighborhood screaming Rush lyrics because no one's home to admonish my crazy antics. They're all out getting trampled for the sake of bargains.

Last year, though (bless their hearts) my folks went out reeeeeally early and got me the laptop I'm currently typing on... on Black Friday.

But that's all they got that day.

I don't really have to worry about it.. I draw my friends and family their gifts. (It's okay to be broke if you can draw! :D)

I've done it once in my life and NEVER AGAIN! I kept losing the people I was with and I was just angry, cranky and tired. I got what I came for though..but still...UGH! laugh.gif

The thing that sucks though is that I have to work on Black Friday and I work in a pet retail store but in customer service which is above the actual store in a separate office sooo..at least I'm away from the crazy people...

Unfortunately, I have to leave the house - but not to shop. To work at Walmart that night wacko.gif

I would rather be trampled by a band of rabid buffalo, which poses the question: can buffalo be rabid?

I already did all of my shopping when things were on sale ages ago. I would say I am not organized, but I have become so in my semi-oldish age.

Archived