Synthesizer Era

Nate2112

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 29 2010, 03:27 PM)
Nate, you're new here so we'll cut you some slack, but just so you know all Rush fans agree that the worst Rush era was the synth era...IE Power Windows and HYF

Thanks in advance...

LOL - you bit.

He tries to sucker everyone in with posts like this. Look at all the topics he's made in this forum.

Nate, you're new here so we'll cut you some slack, but just so you know all Rush fans agree that the worst Rush era was the synth era...IE Power Windows and HYF

Thanks in advance...

I thought Presto-RtB was generally regarded as the "Worst Era" (not necessarily by me, but that's the sense I get).

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Oct 29 2010, 03:44 PM)

Thanks in advance...

I thought Presto-RtB was generally regarded as the "Worst Era" (not necessarily by me, but that's the sense I get).

Close, but no.

HYF and Power Windows are regarded as the 2 worst Rush albums by the fans as well as the band members themselves. Terry Brown agrees too

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 29 2010, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Oct 29 2010, 03:44 PM)

Thanks in advance...

Close, but no.

HYF and Power Windows are regarded as the 2 worst Rush albums by the fans as well as the band members themselves. Terry Brown agrees too

Um...what? Not only do the fans adore Power Windows, Rush has also taken quite a liking to it. And by the way, on this board, the 80s era is held a lot higher than the 90s.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 29 2010, 05:18 PM)
Power Windows and HYF are GREAT albums (except for the last two songs on HYF) - I love the keyboard era. yes.gif biggrin.gif

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I love the keyboard era. I'll never get sick of GUP, Signals, PoW, or HYF.

The worse era was Test For Echo/Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 29 2010, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 29 2010, 05:18 PM)
Power Windows and HYF are GREAT albums (except for the last two songs on HYF) - I love the keyboard era. yes.gif biggrin.gif

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I love the keyboard era. I'll never get sick of GUP, Signals, PoW, or HYF.

The worse era was Test For Echo/Vapor Trails.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 29 2010, 03:40 PM)

Thanks in advance...

LOL - you bit.

He tries to sucker everyone in with posts like this. Look at all the topics he's made in this forum.

I'm not sure if the he is baiting anyone. According to the profile he's only 12 years old. I think it's just a kid being a kid, that's all.

I love Power Windows and HYF. Certainly not the worst material Rush has written. Yeah Alex took a back seat to the synths but they were just trying to stay relevant with the times and at that time synths ruled the music world. Plus, Rush did synths better than anyone else and still wrote great songs. So there's nothing for me to complain about from that era.

For 80s albums synth albums, I'd rank Power Windows second best right after Signals, which is my favorite (and what I consider the first) synth-era album.

(I don't consider MP as a synth-era record, even though it came out in '81).

Middletown Dreams, and Mystic Rhythms are my favorites on PW.

I like ALL the songs on the disk though -- and this was the last Rush album where I felt that way about the entire album.

Also - few songs "take you out of your head" quite like Mystic Rhythms does. What an unusual, thought-provoking, and wonderful piece of music and lyrics that song is.

It took me a while to warm up to the synth era, but it was rewarding when I finally did. Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows take second place on my list of favorite Rush albums. Bar Tai Shan, High Water and (Maybe) Mystic Rhythms, every one of the songs from the synth era are great.

So yeah; LeaveMyThingAlone, You is cah-ray-zay. The synth era was awesome. tongue.gif

I reject the conventional label of "synth era" as defined by Signals through Hold Your Fire. There was plenty of electronic instrumentation on albums going back to AFTK and Hemispheres. "Synth era"-style keyboards are all over Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves. There was a bit more balance between the guitar and the keys on those albums, but people who act like they just discovered keyboards in 1982 are just flat out wrong.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Oct 29 2010, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (tkdryan @ Oct 29 2010, 10:41 PM)
i did not know the band disliked Pow and HYF

I love em

Power Windows is one of Geddy's favorites.

interesting. Do you now Alex and Niels favs?

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Oct 29 2010, 09:47 PM)

I love em

One could assume that the reason Ged likes Power Windows the most is that it contains some of his best bass playing. So maybe Alex likes Caress Of Steel or 2112 becuase it has some of his best playing, and Neil perhaps likes Presto or Counterparts becuase it has some of his finest lyrics. It's all a huge guess as far as I am concerned. Those are probably good estimates of what they all like the most, though.

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Oct 30 2010, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (tkdryan @ Oct 29 2010, 09:47 PM)

I love em

One could assume that the reason Ged likes Power Windows the most is that it contains some of his best bass playing. So maybe Alex likes Caress Of Steel or 2112 becuase it has some of his best playing, and Neil perhaps likes Presto or Counterparts becuase it has some of his finest lyrics. It's all a huge guess as far as I am concerned. Those are probably good estimates of what they all like the most, though.

I love the bass play in Marathon 1022.gif

Interesting choices for Presto and Counterparts, i would agree they have some good lyrics, for me i would argue Signals, i love the lyrics from Losing it sad.gif

Chemistry is awesome

I bet Alex like CP or MP based off his playing at the Dallas Concert

Archived