Synthesizer Era

Nate2112

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Nov 3 2010, 07:15 AM)
Subdivisions
Analog Kid
Between The Wheels
Grand Designs
Marathon
Mission
Afterimage
Middletown Dreams
Countdown
Force Ten
Red Sector A
Lock & Key
New World Man
Time Stand Still

...and so on. With songs like the ones above, how can the synth era be considered the "worst"? ph34r.gif

Y'all be crazy! fing.gif

tongue.gif

total Agreement

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For clarfication, I am by no means saying 100% of all Rush fans agree that the synth era (mainly PW and HYF) is the worst era, but I am saying in general and as a whole consensus, that is the opinion of most Rush fans. Also, the band members themselves as well as Terry Brown

Hell, all you have to do is watch the Documentary...the way they portrayed that era says it all. All the other musicians (Portnoy, the Rage guy, Kirk Hammet) all said that's when they left Rush. And the filmmakers kind of summed it up as the time when they lost a lot of fans, but they had enough of a fan base where they were able to get away with it and still have a core show up just because it's Rush.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Oct 29 2010, 05:40 PM)
You people need to realize that with Rush, there is no worst era laugh.gif

I agree with that. Here's how I rank the synth era albums:

4.Grace Under Pressure

9. Power Windows

14.Signals

17.Hold Your Fire

Pfft. Down with Era wars! waffen093.gif

There isn't a single album I dislike. no.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Nov 3 2010, 05:15 AM)
Subdivisions
Analog Kid
Between The Wheels
Grand Designs
Marathon
Mission
Afterimage
Middletown Dreams
Countdown
Force Ten
Red Sector A
Lock & Key
New World Man
Time Stand Still

...and so on. With songs like the ones above, how can the synth era be considered the "worst"?  ph34r.gif

Y'all be crazy!  fing.gif

tongue.gif

All those are great songs, but I'd definitely rate Middletown Dreams as one of the lesser songs of the era.

You forgot:

The Big Money

Distant Early Warning

Prime Mover

Territories

Losing It

Turn the Page

Mystic Rhythms

The Enemy Within

The Weapon

etc.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 3 2010, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 3 2010, 01:10 PM)
Pfft.  Down with Era wars!  waffen093.gif

There isn't a single album I dislike.  no.gif

goodpost.gif

I wish I could say that.

Recently I was doing a project that required me to skim through RTB, VT & T4E, all of which I hadn't really listened to for awhile. I was newly disappointed by what a low point most of the songs on these albums were for Rush. Oh, well...

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Nov 3 2010, 03:16 PM)
If I "let in" VT, will you supply me with a lifetime supply of advil for the headaches?

I've been listening to VT since 2003, headache free, and without chemical assistance. I don't lose sleep over it, but it's also a bid sad for those who reject this release. Kick ass material you've chosen to disregard.

edited because I forgot to type the word, 'lose'.

QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 3 2010, 12:17 PM)
Nobody is telling you you have to like it.  But don't blame the band.  If they didn't hit a warm spot with you on these releases, that's fine.  But don't blame the band.  It's not their responsibility to know where your cold spots are.

Well, who should I blame - Howard Stern? tongue.gif

These are incredible albums.

Well I'm glad you enjoy them. I can't agree. And I'm hardly lonely with my opinions on these albums. Ask a random sampling ( wink.gif ) of Rush fans if RTB, T4E & VT are great albums. Then ask those same people if Hemispheres, PW & MP are great albums. My guess is you'd get a hell of a lot more positive response to the latter. Of course none of that matters if you love those three albums as that's your subjective opinion. If you don't like them, it might mean a great deal.

If they don't land within your range of acceptability, then either re-examine your range, or leave it alone already.  But you said you wish you could say all these albums are great.  So something inside of you won't let it go.  So I say, let it in.

The only reason I wish all these albums were great is because it's RUSH. They're my favorite band, and they were virtually perfect for many years. How could I not have wanted them to continue the streak? It's hard to let it go because I still feel disappointed by those albums when I hear them. If it was a band I didn't love and care about so much otherwise, it wouldn't bother me. I mean, I guess I'm not surprised. Not one single band that I know of that made close to 20 albums didn't have a couple or a few lemons in the bunch, especially the later ones. Still, it's Rush. Maybe it's unfair of me to think of them as superheros, but you know, they kind of are. wink.gif

The "let it in" part is just so funny. Pick any album by any band you can't stand. Ok, now choose to love it. Just let it in. That was easy, right? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 3 2010, 02:20 PM)
If I "let in" VT, will you supply me with a lifetime supply of advil for the headaches?

I've been listening to VT since 2003, headache free, and without chemical assistance. I don't lose sleep over it, but it's also a bid sad for those who reject this release. Kick ass material you've chosen to disregard.

I'm not "rejecting" this release- it causes me physical pain. I actually love the songs I've heard of the album when I've heard them on live recordings.

Different people have different reactions to different sounds- for you, no problem. For me, VT hurts my head if I listen to it for more than 10 minutes or so. Why must you assume that everyone has the same experience you do when you listen to something? I don't find it surprising at all that you enjoy VT, nor do I question the validity of your feeling on the subject. But apparently you have no problem questing my response to the album.

But apparently

a. driving around for two weeks listening to nothing but VT when it first came out (arriving everywhere I went with a headache),

b. putting it in solid rotation for a coupld of months after that failed

c. finally putting it on every year or so since just to see if I'm crazy

is just not dedicated enough for something that is meant to entertain me.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Nov 3 2010, 03:34 PM)

I'm not "rejecting" this release- it causes me physical pain. I actually love the songs I've heard of the album when I've heard them on live recordings.

Different people have different reactions to different sounds- for you, no problem. For me, VT hurts my head if I listen to it for more than 10 minutes or so. Why must you assume that everyone has the same experience you do when you listen to something? I don't find it surprising at all that you enjoy VT, nor do I question the validity of your feeling on the subject. But apparently you have no problem questing my response to the album.

But apparently

a. driving around for two weeks listening to nothing but VT when it first came out (arriving everywhere I went with a headache),

Have you ever heard of MITA's remaster? VT gave me that same headache when it was released. I shelved it for over a year. Something made me listen to it again after a very long period of time, and something clicked with it that let me hear past the awful sound. Then a year or so later I got my hands on the MITA remaster which cleaned up a bunch of the 'white noise' and ear splitting crap of the original, and it's been a huge improvement. I've been addicted to it, ever since.

btw I don't have a problem with people who don't like VT. I don't really care if someone doesn't like it, but it is fun to talk about every once in a while, no?

Anyway, back on topic. One of the things I love most about the 'synth' years is the emotive element. The keys really filled the space with sounds that lifted you off your feet (The Analog Kid) and and gave Alex a backdrop for his leads and riffs that just killed. Trying to fill that space up with layers of guitars can get kind of muddled. I thought the keys did a fine job.

QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 3 2010, 02:40 PM)
Have you ever heard of MITA's remaster?
No, I haven't. No idea where to get it.

btw I don't have a problem with people who don't like VT.  I don't really care if someone doesn't like it, but it is fun to talk about every once in a while, no?
I'm sorry to be touchy, but it depends on how the talking goes. I'm getting more of a "you guys need to reevaluate your stupid opinions" vibe from you than playful banter.

QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 3 2010, 12:53 PM)
Anyway, back on topic. One of the things I love most about the 'synth' years is the emotive element. The keys really filled the space with sounds that lifted you off your feet (The Analog Kid) and and gave Alex a backdrop for his leads and riffs that just killed. Trying to fill that space up with layers of guitars can get kind of muddled. I thought the keys did a fine job.

They synth era WAS awesome, and I've missed the synths ever since...

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Nov 3 2010, 03:34 PM)

But apparently

Have you ever heard of MITA's remaster? VT gave me that same headache when it was released. I shelved it for over a year. Something made me listen to it again after a very long period of time, and something clicked with it that let me hear past the awful sound. Then a year or so later I got my hands on the MITA remaster which cleaned up a bunch of the 'white noise' and ear splitting crap of the original, and it's been a huge improvement. I've been addicted to it, ever since.

btw I don't have a problem with people who don't like VT. I don't really care if someone doesn't like it, but it is fun to talk about every once in a while, no?

I've been hearing about the VT "MITA remaster" forever, but I have no idea what it is or where to get it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Archived