Animate

theredtamasrule

I've heard Neil say that Animate was one of their better arrangements and I think I've read where Ged said something similar.

My question is what about the arrangement of this song would make it stand out to them? Any thoughts as I haven't a clue. I like it a lot but don't see any particular brilliance.

Well, I suppose different songs appeal to different people. Animate is one of my favorites.

But also, they wrote it, so it has a different meaning to them than anyone who listens to it can understand. Geddy has said that The Pass is one of their favorites, yet it's not on many fan's top 10 lists (It's on mine though biggrin.gif )

Animate absolutely rocks; one of my all-time faves.

Short story here...when Counterparts was released I figured that the opening track would be the next live album's intro song.

Up to that point in time of my knowledge of Rush, after every four albums, They would put out a concert album; and the first track off the 3rd of the 4 would be the opener...Bastille Day, Spirit of Radio and The Big Money.

'Spirit' didn't open the Moving Pictures tour, but it is a natural show starter.

So, fast forward to the Test for Echo tour and when the intro film faded into the first song, I was expecting that powerful drum intro.

Yet, Dreamline was the opener...and again, another great opener.

Anyway, Counterparts is full of great stuff; Animate was/is an instant classic.

As far as the arrangement is concerned, I always thought that it sounded as if sixteen guys were playing in that track. Every instrument is huge and fills in the spaces in the music perfectly. I remember the first time I heard it. I got out of school (student teaching at the time) and bought the cd. I had a few minutes before my grad class so I listened to Animate. I could not wait to get back to my apartment to listen to it again. Got nothing out of class that night.

Animate has my favorite bass line, those chords that Geddy plays during the third chorus especially. It's my favorite song and I'd be mindblown if I hear it live. I don't get why the band praise the song as if it's their best song ever if they don't play it live every tour confused13.gif

And I quote Neil from the documentary, "The opening song Animate I think is one of our all time best. I love the drive of it. I love the arrangement of it."

They've played they song on the CP, T4E and R30 tours. That's three out of the last six tours so it's not like they've completely ignored it live. So, i'm not sure why a few of you are saying "why don't they play it?" when in fact they have done it a decent amount live.

It didn't get too good of a reaction when I saw them on the R30 tour. If it was like that at a lot of the shows that could be a reason why it's not done every tour. It' the same thing with 'The Pass'. The band says it's one of their favorites yet on the VT tour the crowd was dead for it.

Weather a band loves a song or not it's not a good idea to bring a song back tour after tour if the crowd isn't responding to it at all.

Yeah, I guess you do have a point there about songs not being played live because of negative reactions by the crowd. But I was thinking of a song like Dreamline that many people complained about how tired they are hearing it live or how much they hate it, yet was able to be on the setlist on every tour since its inception until this tour where it was finally dropped.

I can see why people gave a negative reaction to Animate on the R30 or even the TFE tour. I listened to the Different Stages and R30 versions of it and it seemed to be dragging on forever with the slower tempo. To be honest, I don't like any of their songs being played at a different tempo that much. IMO if you're going to play a song live, do it the way you originally recorded it. Thankfully, they played certain songs on this tour in their original tempo.

I never cared for Animate. When it first came out, I learned it on bass guitar along with most of the rest of CP and it was OK, but I never liked the lyrics much and the song just sorta drags on. As time went on I liked it less and less.

I'm glad they finally ditched it this tour.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 23 2010, 10:29 AM)
It has an awesome groove. I love Neil's playing on it.

That may be why the band likes it so much. smile.gif I distinctly remember when Roll The Bones was released, and Geddy was quoted as saying that they were emphasizing the groove in their new songs.

For all their odd time signatures and complex arrangements, it's the groove that makes their songs so good. cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

IMO its just fun as hell to jam to 1022.gif

See sig for more.

I binge/purge on Animate. I'm in love with it and I listen to it, but then I get tired of it and shelve it forever. Then I'm like "Animate rules!" and dust it off...

As for the arrangement, I think part of it may have had to do with how strong the sound is compared to RTB. All three of them were bringing the awesome, but Neil especially tore it up.

Archived