Misheard RUSH lyrics

PriestOfSyrinx

One for the "thought I was mishearing but really wasn't" category - the intentional "evelate from the norm" line in Vital Signs. I'm sure that this has been discussed about a million times, but I couldn't find much info on it. Does anyone know if Neil told Geddy to sing it like that, or did Geddy (or Alex) come up with the idea? It's funny, in any case laugh.gif

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (realomind @ Oct 6 2010, 05:20 AM)
"we've been smoking Lebanon"

I always hear that, or "breathing smoke in Lebanon."

"The sky is BITCHING violently..."

NO River!!!!

Makes perfect sense to me.

When I go out to West Texas...that is my anthem...No River.

Osage

QUOTE (Astromancer @ Oct 10 2010, 12:17 AM)
"Subdivisions,
in the basement bars,
in the backs of cars,
conform or be cast out"

What I heard:
"Subdivisions,
in the basement bars,
in the battle cars,
conform or be cast out"

Personally, I think what I heard was more interesting, jk.

me too. laugh.gif

Right:

Flaunt the fruits of noble birth

Wash the salt into the earth

What me & friend heard first time playing this song:

f**k the future, an' Mother Earth

Wash the salt into the earth

We had to get the lyrics out to dissuade our ears. To this day, I know if I play that sound, we will both hear that again.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Oct 11 2010, 10:38 AM)
One for the "thought I was mishearing but really wasn't" category - the intentional "evelate from the norm" line in Vital Signs. I'm sure that this has been discussed about a million times, but I couldn't find much info on it. Does anyone know if Neil told Geddy to sing it like that, or did Geddy (or Alex) come up with the idea? It's funny, in any case laugh.gif

I've always wondered about the "evelate" thing myself. And, for some time now, he throws in the word "emancipate." Poetic license I guess.

This is more a "misunderstood" than "misheard" lyric, but I'd thought the line from The Enemy Within was "experience two extremes". I just decided to look it up and found it was "experience to extremes" which I guess makes a bit more sense.

QUOTE (The_Enemy_Within @ Oct 17 2010, 08:55 AM)
a long while back, my sister thought FBN was...

"My sh*t isn't coming..." rather than "SHIP" laugh.gif

also, my own misheard...

"Sweet Jamaican baked beans..." rather than "PIPE DREAMS"

"Santaaa Clause..." in Hemispheres... "SET OUR COURSE"

hmm... sounds like Geddy is experiencing constipation. Maybe those sweet Jamaican baked beans would help.

QUOTE (RASH 2112 @ Oct 13 2010, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Oct 11 2010, 10:38 AM)
One for the "thought I was mishearing but really wasn't" category - the intentional "evelate from the norm" line in Vital Signs. I'm sure that this has been discussed about a million times, but I couldn't find much info on it. Does anyone know if Neil told Geddy to sing it like that, or did Geddy (or Alex) come up with the idea? It's funny, in any case  laugh.gif

I've always wondered about the "evelate" thing myself. And, for some time now, he throws in the word "emancipate." Poetic license I guess.

That's definitely Ged.

And the only thing I can think to compare it with is Steve Miller's (unfortunate comparison I know) 'pompatus of love' from 'the joker'.

Are they inventing words to get people talking? At least in Ged's case I think there is some poetic liscense. The flow of the sound of the words works very well in the song. Whatever the meaning, or lack thereof.

Thanks for the input, WC! I love that line too. I want to make a LOLRush with "I'm in ur song...evelatin from ur norm" when I figure out how. And yes, I'm new to the board.

Getting back on topic, I thought of one while listening to Limelight today..."living in the fish islands". Uuugghhh laugh.gif Edit: Oops, been posted before. But at least I'm not alone!

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (The_Enemy_Within @ Oct 18 2010, 09:34 PM)
For the longest time I thought "all pre-ordained, a prisoner in chains was "All through your days, a prisoner in chains"

wait, it's NOT "all through your days"?? I've been a Rush fan for 15 years and I didn't know that lol.