When Alex gets mad...

rugen

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 16 2010, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Synth Sense @ Aug 15 2010, 10:49 PM)
http://www.rushisaband.com/comment.php?article_id=2271

I don't think it's been posted, but one of the comments here (I think #26) has a possible answer as to why he's so pissed.

I love your signature! notworthy.gif

Thanks. It only took like, 20-25 minutes to put together, too. laugh.gif

I rewatched this vid with the sound at maximum

At 1:25 you can clearly hear Alex say "Oh Shut up!!! PLEASE shut up!!"

You can hear him in the one posted above of Vital Signs say "Sit NOW!!!" or "Sit DOWN!!"

Listen carefully in the right channel with headphones.

Go Lerxst!!

2.gif

Highly doubtful it was due to filming. After all, the number of vids being posted for this tour are staggering and Rush know its going on.

My bet is someone was really pissing off their neighbors or acting unruly which was impossible for Alex to miss, so being the "least busy" guy he can take a moment to express his feelings and/or signal sidestage to deal with it.

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Aug 16 2010, 06:24 PM)
I think there may be a clue in this video!! Looks to me like it's filmed pretty much from where Alex was shouting at!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBqDfQXAhzw

This doesn't really prove anything, it'd be better if we could get a video of Vital Signs or CttH with a view of the crowd in front of Alex.

Also, the dude who recorded the video you linked is kind of an intrusive pervert.

QUOTE (quickfree @ Aug 15 2010, 06:05 PM)
I don't think he's mad at the song but it just looks plain weird that way.

His concentration during the acoustic solo is near perfect and he didn't distracted.

I don't know about that. He may not look "distracted" but he seems visibly upset throughout the entire song, even the acoustic part. His jaw is clenched so tight! Makes Neil look downright chillin' and relaxed in comparison, LOL. I watched a couple other earlier songs on youtube and he didn't seem his usual cheerful self in those either. Anyway, for whatever reason he lost his cool, this is the total opposite of the Alex I saw at the Seattle show last week where he was all smiles, all night. He was far more subdued at the Vegas gig which was the night after this Irvine show (wasn't it?).

Well, Some pretty interesting comments on the original video. It really seems related to some annoying girl

He looks straight at the guy filming this video and doesn't even blink, so I very much doubt it's videotaping related.

Poor Lerxst must have had a hell of a bad time concentrating and getting in his zone....

here's my Sherlock guess.

if he did know the guy she was with (as the youtube comments indicate) in a casual "LA in the-biz" sense, he may have hooked them up with great seats...

maybe the fact that she being drunk and annoying really bugged him since he knew she was distracting people who paid to get in to the show...

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Aug 17 2010, 01:04 AM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Aug 17 2010, 01:51 AM)

Also, the dude who recorded the video you linked is kind of an intrusive pervert.

Yes, exactly... Seems like a wild bunch..... That's what I was referring to!

It was.

I posted this on my post of a short review of the Irvine show, but I just want to re-emphasize that this was the 4th time I've seen Rush at this particular venue, and the crowd was unlike any I've ever seen at a Rush show before. There were a LOT of stupid, drunk people, especially younger girls. The Orange County type that are there to be seen and be noticed. Drunk women high fiving everyone in sight, but not having the slightest clue of any of the songs other than the classics.

It was really weird....it just seems all of Rush's exposure the last couple years drew a very different crowd....there more for the party than the music. As I said, typical Orange County, CA

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this at any of the shows....but much much more women at this show

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 17 2010, 01:00 PM)

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this at any of the shows....but much much more women at this show

I've noticed this! The first time I went, it was a suasage fest all around me, particularly either middle aged men, or guys my age (18-22)

This time, there were women of all ages there, and here was a sight for sore eyes - very attractive girls my age rocking out in the rows in front of me. I couldn't believe it.. the only explanation in my mind at the time was that they were drunk and there to be noticed (as you claimed). However, when I saw them mouthing the words to A LOT of their songs (even less popular ones) I was shocked! They didn't appear drunk whatsoever. What a joy to actually be seeing girls my age who like Rush! It's not that often that it happens!

Anyways, Alex clearly says "Stop!" not "Shut up!" Even if you couldn't differentiate between the two easily, wy would a band tell the crowd to "shut up"?! It's a freaking concert! And seeing as how close the band members are to the amps, and how many decibals they are able to create, I don't see any reasonable way that the band could hear individual comments from the audience, let alone the audience as a whole. The band have earpieces so they could hear the individual band members, so that blocks out even further noise from the surrounding area.

Thus, my guess is that the problem must have been a "VISUAL" one.

What that "problem" is exactly, remains to be seen.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Aug 17 2010, 06:15 PM)
Why do we call it a sausage fest? It should be called a man fest, we're not taking off our pants or anything.

And let's keep it taht way.. or I won't be going to any more Rush concerts!!! laugh.gif

Alex has had some crowd issues as of late. Both shows at White River he had problems with people.

In 2007 he called a guy an asshole and just recently (Aug 7th) he motioned for someone to leave. Not sure what either situation was about, as it happened so quickly.

QUOTE (Skin Bag @ Aug 17 2010, 07:28 AM)
QUOTE (quickfree @ Aug 15 2010, 06:05 PM)
I don't think he's mad at the song but it just looks plain weird that way.

His concentration during the acoustic solo is near perfect and he didn't distracted.

I don't know about that. He may not look "distracted" but he seems visibly upset throughout the entire song, even the acoustic part. His jaw is clenched so tight! Makes Neil look downright chillin' and relaxed in comparison, LOL. I watched a couple other earlier songs on youtube and he didn't seem his usual cheerful self in those either. Anyway, for whatever reason he lost his cool, this is the total opposite of the Alex I saw at the Seattle show last week where he was all smiles, all night. He was far more subdued at the Vegas gig which was the night after this Irvine show (wasn't it?).

Yep he was - see my other post

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...0entry2051737

This should be a Rockline question for Alex at this point.

I'll take unruly fans for $500, Alex.....

Then again, the band dosen't even remember when they last played certain songs on tour so I guess this incident is lost in the memory as well by now.

Hands-down THE best gif I've ever seen.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 14 2010, 12:18 PM)
http://a.imageshack.us/img85/1619/alexstopportnoy.gif

what songs from Fly by Night to Moving Pictures have they not covered? facepalm.gif

Mike Portnoy: woa I wish rush wuz stil maken music so we cud covr mor"

Ged: we have made ten albums since moving pictures y'know..

Mike Portnoy: Thoz r not as gud, tey suk. If it not long one long song, it bad.

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Aug 18 2010, 02:27 PM)

what songs from Fly by Night to Moving Pictures have they not covered? facepalm.gif

LOL....yeah, this pretty much hits it. Dunno how someone can be somewhat famous and STILL come off as a total poseur, but Portnoy manages. I cringe in the documentary every time I see his statement about how he lost interest with Rush after Moving Pictures. Just about everything Rush has put out since MP beats Dream Theater's best work by an order of magnitude.

Peace,

Ron

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Aug 18 2010, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Aug 18 2010, 02:27 PM)

LOL....yeah, this pretty much hits it. Dunno how someone can be somewhat famous and STILL come off as a total poseur, but Portnoy manages. I cringe in the documentary every time I see his statement about how he lost interest with Rush after Moving Pictures. Just about everything Rush has put out since MP beats Dream Theater's best work by an order of magnitude.

Peace,

Ron

I understand where you're coming from, but how does this make him a "poseur". He likes pre-Moving Pictures, but how many people on TRF also feel that same way? Maybe there's also people who only like everything AFTER MP. Does that make them posers? Of course not, how silly! It's all opinion on what you enjoy and wha you do not.

I also disagree about later Rush being better than Dream Theater's best works. I dunno... some of DT's songs REALLY make the hair on my arm stand up. Like Portnoy, I am a bigger fan of Rush's early material, particularly their longer songs. But I enjoy ALL Rush, and can honestly listen to the three gods play their whole discography in one night, given the option. Now, because I prefer their older stuff, that makes me a poser?

Am I missing something here? confused13.gif

Come on, guys...instead of debating on the better band, let's just all enjoy the music! This is turning into a Metallica vs. Megadeth argument clone.