What is Rush's Signature Song?

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guess im alone on this one.

Its the song that made Rush, the Rush that went on to write Hemispheres, Spirit of the Radio, Tom Sawyer, and etc.

I believe it was said what song captures the spirit of rush. I feel all the songs named are just a opinion of most popular.

For a diehard: Xanadu and Natural Science are nice choices.

For the masses: Tom Sawyer and Limelight.

For the quietly desperate: Subdivisions and Between the Wheels.

I think H. D. Thoreau would have dug Rush.

QUOTE (Hoovermac @ Jul 23 2010, 01:41 AM)
I would have to go with YYZ, La Villa Strangiato, or Freewill.

I'd go with La Villa if Rush stopped recording before MP. The band's catalog is just to vast to really name a song as their signature.

I agree with either Freewill or Spirit of the Radio, but Tom Sawyer is just as good in this context. This being that one considers songs casual Rush fans/the masses actually know.

QUOTE (BL2112 @ Jul 24 2010, 01:03 AM)
guess im alone on this one.

Its the song that made Rush, the Rush that went on to write Hemispheres, Spirit of the Radio, Tom Sawyer, and etc.

I believe it was said what song captures the spirit of rush. I feel all the songs named are just a opinion of  most popular.

True, but then how many people who now call themselves Rush fans really know there is more to 2112 than the Overture and The Temples of Syrinx?

Possibly we'd have to pull one song from each recording, or one song from each era and use them as a signature catalog?

And consider the band opening the Vapor trails tour with One Little Victory. That song says so much about the band, and especially Neil, going through some shit that would have killed most bands and even caused the band member to yell, "Check Please!" as he swan dived into the street from the top of a skyscraper.

I take that to be a moment of triumph, a moment of resistance and a message to the world that they were still here, still intact, still relevant and still strong.

But then I am now struck with Resist being their signature song. It fits.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 24 2010, 10:03 AM)
"Tom Sawyer" is the ambassador of Rush songs. And it has done a fabulous job. There can be no other signature Rush song, IMO. After almost 30 years, I have not tired of it. It's that good.

Freewill is also that good. It also sums the Rush philosophy in one concise line: I will choose freewill.

In some guitar magazine [Guitar for the Practicing Musician perhaps]about 15 years ago, a very similar question was asked of Geddy. It was something like, "What song would you say typifies the Rush sound?" He stated that it was Distant Early Warning.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 25 2010, 12:35 AM)
In some guitar magazine [Guitar for the Practicing Musician perhaps]about 15 years ago, a very similar question was asked of Geddy. It was something like, "What song would you say typifies the Rush sound?" He stated that it was Distant Early Warning.

653.gif

DeW

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 25 2010, 03:47 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 25 2010, 12:35 AM)
In some guitar magazine [Guitar for the Practicing Musician perhaps]about 15 years ago, a very similar question was asked of Geddy.  It was something like, "What song would you say typifies the Rush sound?"  He stated that it was Distant Early Warning.

653.gif

DeW

I hadn't even thought of DEW.

Great call!!!

Distant Early Warning has every the makes RUSH.... 2.gif

Personally, I think it all depends upon what you mean by "signature song".

If you're talking about the song that everyone thinks of when you mention Rush, then it would have to be Spirit of Radio in the UK as that has been, so far, their only single to have made a major impact on the charts and, thus, the general public's attention. Listening to the US fans, I suppose Tom Sawyer holds a similar face (explaining why so many UK fans seem to hate SoR and so many US fans seem to hate TS).

however, if you're talking about the song that can sum up the band in a short time, I think I'll have to agree with Pod (vocalist/bassist with Rush tribute Bravado) and go with The Trees. He always describes it as "Rush in a bottle" and I have to agree with him. In under 5 minutes, you've got acoustic passages, heavy guitar passages, a great solo from Alex, Geddy singing in both upper and lower registers, Neil utilising his range of perscussion, keyboards, arpeggios and non-basic lyrics. what else is there that sums up what Rush are all about?

some may, correctly, argue that Natural Science includes all of these elements (and, to my mind, is a better song) but NS clocks in at just under 10 minutes so, for me, The Trees is the perfect Rush shorthand.

Tom Sawyer or Limelight

Tom Sawyer is their signature song, in that it's the song most often played on radio. But if I had to pick a song to introduce a friend who is not a fan to Rush, I would pick Mission. Lyrically and musically, I think it best embodies the "Rush experience".

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 23 2010, 01:46 AM)
Rush is far too dynamic to have a signature song.

However, I think the song that best describes them musically would be "The Spirit of Radio". Nothing else they've ever written encapsulates that bands collective musical personality than that song.

"...but glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity."

2.gif

goodpost.gif

Archived