• Yes
    • No
    • Its Alright
    • EUUURRRRGGHH!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care for it, but I must say I found it a lot better live last night than I do on the CD. That happens with me sometimes. I wasn't wild about Mission, until I heard it live.

I think it has a great shot at being rotated out in the next few weeks. And that is the only song in the set that has that potential.

This set list is steller.

IMHO, Counterparts is the best Rush album after GUP and before S&A!

Stick it Out is not the best song on the album but then there's Animate, Cut to the Chase, Nobody's Hero, Between Sun & Moon, Double Agent, Leave that Thing Alone and Everyday Glory - strong album, I think.

I've always been kind of indifferent toward it, but after seeing the set list I cranked it up and thought to myself "This song rocks" Edited by Rushman14

I like the song and all, but it's probably my least-favorite on the record. If they replace it with "Cut to the Chase", "Alien Shore", "Cold Fire", or "Everyday Glory" I will be beyond happy. And even if they don't replace it, I'm glad to see two songs from CP after getting nothing from it in '07 and '08.

It is a good tune....just not something that IMO belonged in a Time Machine setlist. too many other great ones to plug in right there.

Let's forget about Jacobs Ladder....and listen I don't think anyone is bitching about this....it's fun to talk about. But I think a boatload of us (hardcores) can think of a dozen tunes that they still love to play that could have been plugged in there.

This is not a song catering to fans who are hit or miss with Rush (and don't fool yourself the crowd is full of people who know only half their stuff). This IMO was intended for us long time hard cores and I think Rush might have mis-stepped in this selection and hey I think there is a shot it is rotated out.

Will I moan if they keep it.....hell no. I am sure it will jam. It is a heavy song. It has a killer Alex solo and the opening riff is an evil dropped D killer. But let's be real as Rush fans....I know most here can name 12 tunes they could shuffle in over that song.

If all we are pointing out is one song....that say's a ton of how good this set list is.

Edited by Todem

Stick it Out is one of my favorites from Counterparts (what got me into Counterparts, really). Never knew that many people (at least here) weren't too keen on it. confused13.gif

Oh well. To each their own.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 30 2010, 01:34 PM)
This song rocks. Really sick riff. And Alex's solo just goes off and then when he goes back into the riff after the solo is a really cool transition. Really heavy song.

I'm baffled by all the haters of this one...same as Leave that Thing Alone confused13.gif

Not a hater at all. Just nit picking wink.gif

And Leave That Thing Alone is my 3rd favorite Instrumental ever by the boys. That is a brilliant song and the jams are amazing...so happy to hear that one again!!!

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 30 2010, 01:33 PM)
It is a good tune....just not something that IMO belonged in a Time Machine setlist. too many other great ones to plug in right there.

Let's forget about Jacobs Ladder....and listen I don't think anyone is bitching about this....it's fun to talk about. But I think a boatload of us (hardcores) can think of a dozen tunes that they still love to play that could have been plugged in there.

This is not a song catering to fans who are hit or miss with Rush (and don't fool yourself the crowd is full of people who know only half their stuff). This IMO was intended for us long time hard cores and I think Rush might have mis-stepped in this selection and hey I think there is a shot it is rotated out.

Will I moan if they keep it.....hell no. I am sure it will jam. It is a heavy song. It has a killer Alex solo and the opening riff is an evil dropped D killer. But let's be real as Rush fans....I know most here can name 12 tunes they could shuffle in over that song.

If all we are pointing out is one song....that say's a ton of how good this set list is.

goodpost.gif

I dont love the music, but dont hate it either. I can live with the music, but the lyrics are just awful. I never liked them at all. Very cringe worthy. Too overly technical, completely lifeless, trying too hard to sound smart. Just not good rock lyrics at all in my opinion.

Trust to your instincts

If it's safely restrained

Lightning reactions

Must be carefully trained

Heat of the moment

Curse of the young

Spit out your anger

Don't swallow your tongue

[Chorus:]

Stick it out

Don't swallow the poison

Spit it out

Don't swallow your pride

Stick it out

Don't swallow your anger

Spit it out

Don't swallow the lies

Natural reflex

Pendulum swing

You might be too dizzy

To do the right thing

Trial under fire

Ultimate proof

Moment of crisis

Don't swallow the truth

[Chorus]

Each time we bathe our reactions

In artificial light

Each time we alter the focus

To make the wrong moves seem right

You get so used to deception

You make yourself a nervous wreck

You get so used to surrender

Running back to cover your neck

[Chorus]

I do like "Stick It Out" , in fact I loved it when the "Counterparts" album came out. Although I`m not as in love with it anymore , it`s still a good rocking song. And I would gladly see it rotated with "Cut To The Chase" or another "Counterparts" song.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 30 2010, 01:34 PM)
This song rocks. Really sick riff. And Alex's solo just goes off and then when he goes back into the riff after the solo is a really cool transition. Really heavy song.

I'm baffled by all the haters of this one...same as Leave that Thing Alone confused13.gif

I love it! It's the song that got me back into Rush after a personal 10 year hiatus.

At best, "Stick It Out" is an average Rush song. It seems to be the type of riff that Alex relies on way too much. I much prefer "Far Cry", for instance. Anyway, there are dozens upon dozens of Rush songs that I would rather hear in concert other than "Stick It Out" - 5 or 6 on Counterparts alone. I don't hate it, at all, I just don't prefer it. Edited by ReRushed