The possibility of Losing It or Chemistry

micgtr71

First off, I wanna hear Chemistry. Not my favorite tune, but I would really dig it. I have been searching the back catalog for songs they could do while keeping Geddy's range in mind. Chemistry fits. Something for Nothing would be nice to hear, but it's not probable given the vocals reside in the stratosphere. Lots of great stuff off PoW and HYF, but why not some gems from Signals.

Losing It gets warm and cold responses here, but I love the song and think they should try it. I understand the violin argument and to be honest there are times during the solo break when it sounds like a cat being neutered with a butter knife without any local anesthetic (no offense to Mr. Mink-talented man...he must have meant for that sound). Maybe a rearrangement that makes it a bit more heavy. For you the blind who once could see-the bell tolls for thee. Still gives me chills.

"Losing it" is an awesome song, and Ben Mink's violin makes it special. Unless they get Ben to tour with them, that song has zero chance of being played. Ben's violin is all over that song -- the beginning, the verses, the solo section, and the ending -- and to sample and trigger all those parts would not only be a nightmare, but it would be really cheesy.

"Chemistry" is a good one too, and it has more of a chance of being played than "Losing It," but I would guess that when the boys are sitting around auditioning tunes for the setlist, this is one of those songs that makes them go, "Hmmmm...it's not bad, but...NAH."

Those two would be great to hear, but I'd like to hear how they'd handle "The Weapon" live now, i.e. if they would change it any like they changed "Digital Man" in 2007 and 2008. "The Analog Kid" would also be great to hear live.

QUOTE (Checkster2112 @ Jun 17 2010, 08:08 PM)
Agreed, I've been on a big Signals kick too recently.

That's cool! Good to hear it!

I've been on a "Signals kick" for almost 30 years now - definitely my favorite album. smile.gif

I'd love to hear any part of the album live. As long as they play Subdivisions though, I'll be shedding tears of joy like I do each and every time. smile.gif

Unfortunately I think those two songs will forever remain in 1982. Losing It I could see them wanting to do (especially now), but obviously the violin plays way too important a part to just be relegated to a backing track. Chemistry is just too unimportant a song to play 30 years later. Yeah it's cool, but it's probably one of their most underwhelming songs of the 80's and probably hasn't ever been thought of since they dropped it mid-Signals tour.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jun 18 2010, 10:08 AM)
Unfortunately I think those two songs will forever remain in 1982. Losing It I could see them wanting to do (especially now), but obviously the violin plays way too important a part to just be relegated to a backing track. Chemistry is just too unimportant a song to play 30 years later. Yeah it's cool, but it's probably one of their most underwhelming songs of the 80's and probably hasn't ever been thought of since they dropped it mid-Signals tour.

You could emulate the violin in Losing It using synths or a simple backing track. The same could probably said for Faithless.

Plenty of bands using this method for orchestration.

How do you think they pulled off Manhattan Project live? And that has far more strings involved there.

I think there is little possibility of playing either of these songs on this tour. If we are lucky enough to hear one I would prefer Losing It over Chemistry. I love every song on Signals....maybe they will play it in it's entirety in 2014.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jun 18 2010, 10:08 AM)
Unfortunately I think those two songs will forever remain in 1982.  Losing It I could see them wanting to do (especially now), but obviously the violin plays way too important a part to just be relegated to a backing track.  Chemistry is just too unimportant a song to play 30 years later.  Yeah it's cool, but it's probably one of their most underwhelming songs of the 80's and probably hasn't ever been thought of since they dropped it mid-Signals tour.

livin' 2 much in '82 like uncle rico! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 19 2010, 12:47 AM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jun 18 2010, 07:37 PM)
Signals is my fave album, although i'm not fond of Countdown. would love to hear all of the songs!

wtf.gif wtf.gif wtf.gif wtf.gif wtf.gif wtf.gif wtf.gif wtf.gif wtf.gif

countdown is in everyone's top 5 all time rush songs fom '80-'84 trink38.gif 1022.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

It is? Well, not mine. The 5/4 sections following the little keyboard breaks are kinda cool, and it's nice to hear Geddy do an actual keyboard solo, but IMO the rest of the song sounds contrived, both musically and lyrically. I don't hate the song, but when Signals is spinning in my CD player it often stops spinning after "Losing It."

BTW, I don't think you posted enough wtf.gif smileys.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 19 2010, 12:25 AM)
0 percent chance they will play either one.

You know, they may just play both. What's to say they won't? I think that there is as good a chance to hear either of these tunes as it was to wonder whether they would play Different Strings or Circumstances on the last tour. How strange would it have been to hear "I hope they play Different Strings" three weeks before the start of the S&A tour? How about three weeks before the VT tour saying, "I hope they open with Tom Sawyer and play By-Tor in the encore". These statements would have been as unlikely as mine is now. Remember, anything can happen. 0 percent is pretty stiff...I hope that you are wrong.

QUOTE (Checkster2112 @ Jun 17 2010, 08:08 PM)
Agreed, I've been on a big Signals kick too recently.

Same here....I can't stop listening to it. That is one of the few albums that I love every song on totally. Since I got the remaster, it only made things "worse". LOL

Can't go wrong with Signals. I think Countdown could be fairly powerful live with some good visual production.

Losing It, like Different Strings, is a studio-only piece. Very unlikely we'll see either live.

I would Love to hear them but i don't think it's going to happen. I have a good feeling that they Will do The Weapon

QUOTE (Joshua @ Jun 21 2010, 07:48 AM)
Can't go wrong with Signals. I think Countdown could be fairly powerful live with some good visual production.

Losing It, like Different Strings, is a studio-only piece. Very unlikely we'll see either live.

Complete with a Pink Floyd-esque rocket ship taking off into the sky!

I've been listening to Signals a lot recently myself, alternating between that and G under P. Personally I really enjoy Chemistry and would be more than happy to hear that or Losing it played live.