What made your day today? v.2

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Went to the High School Boys Basketball tourney tonight... and watched my Eagles fight a long, hard, and frankly kind of painful battle until final victory. All my friends who still go there were telling me after the game that was probably the guys' worst night!

But at least they pulled through. Got past the quarterfinals, and tomorrow's semifinals and a whole new day to get a whole new victory! biggrin.gif

Everyday John Barry.

John is a high school classmate of mine. Mind you, he was a bit of a nerd. Was the main DJ for our high school radio station. He is the exact opposite of how he portrays himself, which makes it so funny to his fellow classmates today.

He would pop into Facebook off an on, and just leave you with the most creative, hilarious, and intelligent posts. So another one of my high school classmates convinced him to create his own Facebook group. Although it just started, there are many of my former classmates just really feeling good after John writes his installments.

Here's a excerpt of John writes every day:

"On that fateful day, her first day, my prayers had been answered. She (who shall remain nameless) entered the room like an angel sent from above. She was outwardly beautiful, smiled (I think by this point some of the girls at Woodchuck School were already growling at me) and didn't run away when I said hello. Folks, I had damn near hit a home run! The year started off swimmingly well. I tried my hardest to impress the new girl by studying for spelling tests, not dropping my glass milk bottle in lunch and doing my best not to get hurt in gym class! Again, it was a very strong start to what could and should have been another plain Jane year.

For those who can remember back that far, Valentine's Day was a time of hopeful anticipation. Perhaps it carried more weight for me because of my advanced age and obvious maturity when compared to my much younger, far less mature classmates, but I can tell you with a much certainty as a balanced federal budget, I, yours truly, was ready to don my silk-like cloud patterned shirt and matching gray suit and woo the new girl on the block. After spending an inordinate, and in retrospect some might say unhealthy amount of time perfecting my signature (oh yeah, I OWNED cursive!) and writing HER name on the envelope, I proudly strutted my surely insatiable self into the classroom and proudly and confidently placed what was surely the most magnificent Valentine's Day card into her beautifully decorated Valentine's paper lunch bag. "

I love this guy!

Edited by Draco

A few graduating seniors (they finish at the beginning of March out here) were very thankful and expressed their sincere gratitude for teaching them. It was nice to hear that many of them got into some top notch universities too. applaudit.gif

[side note] As part of university admissions, many colleges out here require graduating high school students to have the ability to write an English essay. So, last month I was teaching a special writing course for those graduating seniors at my high school. In the final class I provided them with a sample for the possible entrance exam essay: "Discuss a popular figure in literature, film, music, or the arts that has had a strong influence in your life." My writing sample (which essentially was their blueprint to follow) was for NeilFinal.gif

I have to admit that it helped a lot of them with HOW they crafted their essays. It's hard to believe that some of them have that kind of language ability despite never having left Japan (and basically only having spoken English to me or their Japanese English teachers).

Being able to say, as an alumni, that the boy's basketball team of my alma mater has taken the State Championship.

Again.

1912. 1974. 1975. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2010. 2011. 2012.

Kind of a surreal night for me. So, so proud of those young men.

And now both teams (the girls took State last week for the first time in 28 years) have new trophies on their shelves! smile.gif

Had a very nice date nite with my Lady last nite. Dinner, saw a Rush band, a very nice date. They were pretty good, enough to see again.

Feeling so much better today!! (as compared to yesterday)

Didn't have to go to Church because I still had a small cold, so I got to lay around the house all day. (And sleep in until 11!)

Also, got to lay outside in the hammock from about 3pm - 8pm, with a break for dinner. Was a beautiful day and got to read, nap, and work on my computer outside in the shade of my tarp.

Great day. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I met this really nice gal at church today and I found out she's actually a law student going to the same university as I. It was kind of neat, getting to know a new person, and we're both new to the church so we had that in common too. We're even planning on heading to a movie together later this week. smile.gif

Also I had this really good sandwich tonight at a popular cafe in town. And I'm talking like amazingly good. It was... let's see... bacon, turkey, tomato, lettuce, onion, banana peppers... all the good stuff. I was pleasantly surprised.

So tonight was Mystery Movie Night at the campus theatre, and while everyone knew it was going to be some popular animated film, when I sat down with four of my friends, the opening scene was...

..LION KING.

That simple fact just made my whole week. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I love love love Lion King and being there with my friends, for free, eating free popcorn and drinking free pop, made it all the better. And then we went to get FroYo after the movie. It was overall one of the best Monday nights I think I've had all semester. biggrin.gif

A monster-sized thank you card from one of the graduating junior high classes. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

This is what they wrote in English: "Thank you Mr. JohnnyBlaze for teaching us English and giving us curiosity about the world. I hope you teach us again in high school!"

[The jhs is connected to the hs so it's almost certain I'll be seeing them again] bekloppt.gif

That's just a damn cool (and rather touching) thing to say! applaudit.gif

It is like eighty degrees outside. (Fahrenheit, of course.)

SO HAPPY. I'm planning on doing as much studying, work, etc. as humanly possible outside today. It's just too beautiful not to!

...Better get off the laptop before the days slips by me now! wink.gif

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Mar 11 2012, 07:34 AM)
Had a very nice date nite with my Lady last nite. Dinner, saw a Rush band, a very nice date.  They were pretty good, enough to see again.

Same for my boyfriend and me - we took a little trip to Niagara Falls, Ontario to see Wavelength: A Tribute To Rush. He liked it way more than I thought he would (and LOVED the opening band)! Even got a shirt!

I'm guessing you saw Lotus Land? Animation Rush tribute was also playing that night in the Midwest. Sure was a busy Rush tribute weekend! 2.gif

Edited by 1 of the 7

Having the windows open to this gorgeous weather! Only bummer was I didn't get to hike in it, because we both had so much to do at home. My boyfriend ended up going close to home, but it was kind of spur of the moment.

Went on a long, long bike ride today.. with my folks. tongue.gif

It was good, though. Good to be home, good to be on a different trail than the same one I take a few times a week down in Lincoln. Of course I know I'll be feeling that ride in my muscles tomorrow, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Such gorgeous weather, too!

Saw a good friend of mine I haven't seen in 3 years. I took an acting class during Summer school with her and she performed a concert at a local indie record store called Rhino Records in Claremont,CA (where I grew up btw) an hour ago. She's a folk singer named Katie Ferrara. One of the songs she did was a cover of Save Me by Aimee Mann.

http://www.katieferrara.com/

Who needs that Black Swan movie? We're going to see the real thing today.

We're going to a live performance of the Swan Lake ballet. I'm excited. Yay!!

cheer.gif cheer.gif

Volunteered at a basketball tourney for charity today. It was great fun (I worked concessions and did clean-up afterwards) and we raised quite a bit of money for the Jack and Jill Foundation. smile.gif Some of the kids in the tourney were actually really talented players, so I'll probably be watching for them to show up at State B-Ball.. maybe! tongue.gif Edited by CMWriter