Can we say sarcasm???

CeeJ

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm religious! I'm religious!

Awww, crap...my character just took a hit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/k_crying10.gif

if people seriously think no religion would mean no wars, they're completely deluded. The human race doesn't need religion to kill itself... that violent streak is already there. Neil even acknowledges this in "Lock and Key"

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 2 2010, 01:26 PM)
if people seriously think no religion would mean no wars, they're completely deluded. The human race doesn't need religion to kill itself... that violent streak is already there. Neil even acknowledges this in "Lock and Key"

yes.gif waffen093.gif

QUOTE (Synthetic @ Jun 2 2010, 08:13 AM)
Personally I love it - I love the sarcastic attack on religion. I laugh out loud at the concept of a god or any ethereal afterlife and this is comical.

The inflection in Geddy's voice is amazingly haunting as well! He really lands home the point of the song.

It is akin to one of my favorite anti-religion lines:

Faith is cold as ice
Why are little ones born only to suffer
For the want of immunity
Or a bowl of rice?
Well, who would hold a price
On the heads of the innocent children
If there's some immortal power
To control the dice?

Man I love rush...

Your really taking a bit of grief over this deal, aren't you.? Here's the problem. And this is coming from a fan over 46. My first Rush album was A Farewell to Kings. My first Rush Concert was Tour of the Hemespheres. I'm not some fan who just kicked in around Power Windows. Neil has made his point. I Ged it! It is becoming a tired old topic. It seems most fans are getting bored with "I hate religion" songs.

I'm definately one of them. 2.gif

QUOTE (Jhill @ Jun 2 2010, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (Synthetic @ Jun 2 2010, 08:13 AM)
Personally I love it - I love the sarcastic attack on religion.  I laugh out loud at the concept of a god or any ethereal afterlife and this is comical.

The inflection in Geddy's voice is amazingly haunting as well!  He really lands home the point of the song.

It is akin to one of my favorite anti-religion lines:

Faith is cold as ice
Why are little ones born only to suffer
For the want of immunity
Or a bowl of rice?
Well, who would hold a price
On the heads of the innocent children
If there's some immortal power
To control the dice?

Man I love rush...

Your really taking a bit of grief over this deal, aren't you.? Here's the problem. And this is coming from a fan over 46. My first Rush album was A Farewell to Kings. My first Rush Concert was Tour of the Hemespheres. I'm not some fan who just kicked in around Power Windows. Neil has made his point. I Ged it! It is becoming a tired old topic. It seems most fans are getting bored with "I hate religion" songs.

I'm definately one of them. 2.gif

He's taking more grief over the fact that he holds all religious people at the same level of contempt. Even Neil avoids that trap.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 2 2010, 04:12 PM)
Once again Neil has captured my sentiments! He is a Master! Not only with his sticks but with his pen! And His Pen is mightier than the Sword!

applaudit.gif

*Mara refrains from obvious innuendo, and wishful thinking, regarding Neil's sword*

I do know one thing....

Whatever your beliefs (or non-beliefs) are, getting angry or upset about the fact he is writing this stuff isn't going to make him stop.

Caveat Emptor and all that.....you have the option of showing your displeasure by not buying his product.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2010, 04:16 PM)
Once again Neil has captured my sentiments! He is a Master! Not only with his sticks but with his pen! And His Pen is mightier than the Sword!

applaudit.gif

*Mara refrains from obvious innuendo, and wishful thinking, regarding Neil's sword*

http://weblogs.cltv.com/entertainment/tv/metromix/austin%20powers.jpg

"Oh behave you naughty little minx."

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 2 2010, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2010, 04:16 PM)

applaudit.gif

http://weblogs.cltv.com/entertainment/tv/metromix/austin%20powers.jpg

"Oh behave you naughty little minx."

rofl3.gif applaudit.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 2 2010, 03:20 PM)
I do know one thing....

Whatever your beliefs (or non-beliefs) are, getting angry or upset about the fact he is writing this stuff isn't going to make him stop.

Caveat Emptor and all that.....you have the option of showing your displeasure by not buying his product.

i guess that's the bottom line. if you like it listen to it and if you don't, nobody's forcing you to listen to it.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 2 2010, 04:29 PM)
I do know one thing....

i guess that's the bottom line. if you like it listen to it and if you don't, nobody's forcing you to listen to it.

Hey, two years ago, for S&A Mark II, my husband purchased two pair of tickets - one for us and one for a buddy and his wife as a birthday gift to his friend.

The wife, while sweet, is a Christian of a very conservative evangelical nature. (We did not know her well at that point, otherwise this whole story wouldn't exist). She went to brush up on her Rush, decided the lyrics were "not God-honoring" (her words) and MADE HER HUSBAND GIVE THE TICKETS BACK.

Her prerogative, and I actually have some respect for her sticking to her beliefs if she thinks it compromises her worship. Where she LOST my respect was when she made her husband pass up the show too. But then again, he's sort of a doormat. . .

Point being, it bothered her, she passed. Believe me, I far preferred she did so instead of whining throughout the entire show.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2010, 09:36 PM)
I do know one thing....

Hey, two years ago, for S&A Mark II, my husband purchased two pair of tickets - one for us and one for a buddy and his wife as a birthday gift to his friend.

The wife, while sweet, is a Christian of a very conservative evangelical nature. (We did not know her well at that point, otherwise this whole story wouldn't exist). She went to brush up on her Rush, decided the lyrics were "not God-honoring" (her words) and MADE HER HUSBAND GIVE THE TICKETS BACK.

Her prerogative, and I actually have some respect for her sticking to her beliefs if she thinks it compromises her worship. Where she LOST my respect was when she made her husband pass up the show too. But then again, he's sort of a doormat. . .

Point being, it bothered her, she passed. Believe me, I far preferred she did so instead of whining throughout the entire show.

Honestly, I just can't imagine even conversing with someone like that.....I think over here we are a bit more secular than you lot. I can tell you that someone coming out with stuff like that over here would be regarded as a God botherer and therefore a bit mad.

The one I don't have any respect for is the husband...if my wife tried to pull that shit on me (not that she would in a million years) she'd get told where to go in no uncertain terms.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 2 2010, 03:03 PM)

The one I don't have any respect for is the husband...

No kidding....what a pussy.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2010, 03:36 PM)
I do know one thing....

Next time...have her send them to THIS Christian...I'll take 'em!!! trink39.gif I'll even buy you beers and sing "Freewill" and "Far Cry" and "Armor and Sword" right along with you when they're played!! biggrin.gif

I'm digging both songs. I could give a rat's ass about what 2.gif believe or don't believe. When I read, or listen to music, none of that shit matters. My own personal beliefs take a back seat. Otherwise, i'm not going to enjoy anything.

I don't want Neil to be "light-hearted". If I want that, I'll listen to POP music. I'm quite happy with his lyrics for the most part. These two songs have made me forgive 2.gif for the hiccup in their career that was known as Snakes and Arrows. biggrin.gif

I love how my wife starts a deep, button pushing thread when she's all cool10.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Love ya' CeeJ. wub.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jun 2 2010, 05:56 PM)
I'm digging both songs. I could give a rat's ass about what 2.gif believe or don't believe. When I read, or listen to music, none of that shit matters. My own personal beliefs take a back seat. Otherwise, i'm not going to enjoy anything.

I don't want Neil to be "light-hearted". If I want that, I'll listen to POP music. I'm quite happy with his lyrics for the most part. These two songs have made me forgive 2.gif for the hiccup in their career that was known as Snakes and Arrows. biggrin.gif

I love how my wife starts a deep, button pushing thread when she's all cool10.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Love ya' CeeJ. wub.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2010, 03:36 PM)
I do know one thing....

what I don't get is how two people who obviously aren't at the same spiritual/religious level get married in the first place.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2010, 04:36 PM)
I do know one thing....

That's interesting...

Although there are obvious references of religion all throughout S&A, the only song that really drives it home IMO is 'Faithless'.

To me, it's a pretty good song musically, with a really nice guitar solo from Alex, but I don't listen to it a whole lot, and I think it is because I have problems relating to what he is saying personally.

With that said...still a good song. I am speaking as a strong believer myself, and I can tell you that outside of possibly Faithless, there is very little throughout S&A that would make me shun the guys and not go to a Rush concert. That to me, is very over the top. In fact, I am a huge fan of S&A, and it has gotten a lot of airplay with me over the past 3 years.

But again...I guess everyone will react differently.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 2 2010, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2010, 04:36 PM)
I do know one thing....

That's interesting...

Although there are obvious references of religion all throughout S&A, the only song that really drives it home IMO is 'Faithless'.

To me, it's a pretty good song musically, with a really nice guitar solo from Alex, but I don't listen to it a whole lot, and I think it is because I have problems relating to what he is saying personally.

With that said...still a good song. I am speaking as a strong believer myself, and I can tell you that outside of possibly Faithless, there is very little throughout S&A that would make me shun the guys and not go to a Rush concert. That to me, is very over the top. In fact, I am a huge fan of S&A, and it has gotten a lot of airplay with me over the past 3 years.

But again...I guess everyone will react differently.

when I was a teenager, I met a girl at church and started dating her... she turned out to be just like this woman, and though any "non-Christian music" was bad and should never be listened to. One day she decided she should throw away all my CD's that weren't Christian, including my small (at the time) Rush collection. If that had happened today, I'd have kicked her out on her ass... but being a p-whipped teenager I let her get away with it. Funny enough, this is the same girl who took my virginity lol

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 2 2010, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 2 2010, 03:03 PM)

The one I don't have any respect for is the husband...

No kidding....what a pussy.

Believe me, when I say he's a doormat, I mean the dude is so covered in footprints and scuff marks you almost can't recognize him on sight. This is his second marriage, and he let Wife #1 walk all over him too.

And absolutely, my husband knows if he tried to pull that shit on me it would be grounds for the D-word. You do not get between me & Rush.

Archived