Can we say sarcasm???

CeeJ

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 1 2010, 09:52 PM)
And maybe this "character" (if there is one) will have some sort of redemption/growth. It does start off very dark, could involve some sort of an ascension as it progresses.

I also think the album could end up having 13 songs - could start at 12:00 and end at 12:00. Maybe their will be a "Caravan Part II" or something similar. Should come full circle like a clock.

"Because they are the first two parts of what we envision as an extended album-length story, they truly are a work in progress, and thus a glimpse of our own future"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 1 2010, 08:57 PM)
who's the "Watchmaker" supposed to be?

It is a little known fact that "The Watchmaker" in question would lovingly send us his only begotten son, who would enter this world, die and return as God....or as we more commonly know him...this guy here.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/phillipismormon/DrManhattan2.jpg

I love the lyric. Could be cuz my sentiments aren't too different from Peart's. It amazes me the people who get truly offended by him though...as if he's not allowed to have or express his own thoughts, lest you feel attacked for your own. Most don't take it that personally and can sanely put aside what he's saying as not being their thing...but respecting how he or others think. Others...well, it just bothers them personally.

I guess that's how some folks looked upon Dylan too when they didn't agree...or Lennon. And I'm not making the direct comparison between them lyrically, just that those kinds of lyrics tend to bring some together and alienate others.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 2 2010, 07:48 AM)
I love the lyric. Could be cuz my sentiments aren't too different from Peart's. It amazes me the people who get truly offended by him though...as if he's not allowed to have or express his own thoughts, lest you feel attacked for your own. Most don't take it that personally and can sanely put aside what he's saying as not being their thing...but respecting how he or others think. Others...well, it just bothers them personally.

I guess that's how some folks looked upon Dylan too when they didn't agree...or Lennon. And I'm not making the direct comparison between them lyrically, just that those kinds of lyrics tend to bring some together and alienate others.

Just want to point out that you said," Could be cuz my sentiments aren't too different from Peart's"

I would me interested to read what you would have wrote if your view point was diametrically opposed to Peart's. That viewpoint would be different and have more validity for me.

I'm just saying... atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 2 2010, 07:23 AM)
I love the lyric.  Could be cuz my sentiments aren't too different from Peart's.  It amazes me the people who get truly offended by him though...as if he's not allowed to have or express his own thoughts, lest you feel attacked for your own.  Most don't take it that personally and can sanely put aside what he's saying as not being their thing...but respecting how he or others think.  Others...well, it just bothers them personally. 

I guess that's how some folks looked upon Dylan too when they didn't agree...or Lennon.  And I'm not making the direct comparison between them lyrically, just that those kinds of lyrics tend to bring some together and alienate others.

Just want to point out that you said," Could be cuz my sentiments aren't too different from Peart's"

I would me interested to read what you would have wrote if your view point was diametrically opposed to Peart's. That viewpoint would be different and have more validity for me.

I think I would be quite tolerant, even if they were pro-God/Jesus (whatever). I'm actually a BIG fan of the Christian group Petra (have many of their albums) and don't at all mind their pro-Jesus lyrics. I liked Creed for their first few albums and their lyrics weren't necessarily OVERTLY Christian, but often in that God/spiritual vein. It doesn't bother me.

Now I especially enjoy these because on top of it being a great melody and driving song (to me) they're also lyrics with which I can relate. I don't need to relate to lyrics to enjoy them...it's just a bonus when I can.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 2 2010, 08:23 AM)
I love the lyric.  Could be cuz my sentiments aren't too different from Peart's.  It amazes me the people who get truly offended by him though...as if he's not allowed to have or express his own thoughts, lest you feel attacked for your own.  Most don't take it that personally and can sanely put aside what he's saying as not being their thing...but respecting how he or others think.  Others...well, it just bothers them personally. 

I guess that's how some folks looked upon Dylan too when they didn't agree...or Lennon.  And I'm not making the direct comparison between them lyrically, just that those kinds of lyrics tend to bring some together and alienate others.

Okay, you've opened a can o' worms with that post, tick!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 2 2010, 08:49 AM)
I have accepted Neil Peart

I read that and half expected "...as my Lord and Savior" to follow. Just the way it read and not because of your beliefs or anything. Just...funny how that started to read to me. biggrin.gif

I love Neil Peart as a musician, but I'm not ready to take him as lord. atickhum.gif

Seriously, as much as I love Rush, I would probably not connect with Geddy or Neil on a personal level.

I do however feel I could have a pretty good time hanging with Al.

To be clear, I DON'T have a problem with Neil. He should write about things according to what matters to him in his world. That is the only way any writer should ever write.

Its the only way I ever have, and I have written many songs back in the day.

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 2 2010, 08:00 AM)

I read that and half expected "...as my Lord and Savior" to follow. Just the way it read and not because of your beliefs or anything. Just...funny how that started to read to me. biggrin.gif

I love Neil Peart as a musician, but I'm not ready to take him as lord. atickhum.gif

Seriously, as much as I love Rush, I would probably not connect with Geddy or Neil on a personal level.

To be clear, I DON'T have a problem with Neil. He should write about things according to what matters to him in his world. That is the only way any writer should ever write.

trink39.gif

Well and like I said, if the shoe was on the other foot, I think I'd be pretty accepting of a "saved" Neil Peart too. Again, I don't have a problem with religion. It's essentially a positive thing. But it all comes down to how you swing those words. Are you tearing people down personally (either as a pro or anti religious lyricist) or are you making a larger statement about the postivity of a higher power or the positivity of self-awareness? If your context is good, most people see through it being a personal afront. I think Neil largely avoids being destructive and mean with his words

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 2 2010, 08:00 AM)

goodpost.gif

I get the feeling everyone has a good time when hanging with Al. biggrin.gif

Personally I love it - I love the sarcastic attack on religion. I laugh out loud at the concept of a god or any ethereal afterlife and this is comical.

The inflection in Geddy's voice is amazingly haunting as well! He really lands home the point of the song.

It is akin to one of my favorite anti-religion lines:

Faith is cold as ice

Why are little ones born only to suffer

For the want of immunity

Or a bowl of rice?

Well, who would hold a price

On the heads of the innocent children

If there's some immortal power

To control the dice?

Man I love rush...

QUOTE (Synthetic @ Jun 2 2010, 09:13 AM)
Personally I love it - I love the sarcastic attack on religion. I laugh out loud at the concept of a god or any ethereal afterlife and this is comical.

The inflection in Geddy's voice is amazingly haunting as well! He really lands home the point of the song.

You can hear a sneer in his voice, almost. He does a GREAT job on these vocals. Love the way he finishes off "death" at the end of the line "loves us all to death".

The lyrics are sung (sang?) rather well by Ged because they read kinda goofy with all the lame poetry ryhmes. Comes out waaaay better than I expected. Love this song!

I can see a thread running from Caravan to BYOB and possibly further through an entire song cycle or concept. With Caravan being an obvious starting point for a character as they move through life...kind of a modern day Fountain of Lamneth but told in individual songs with real world imagry and allusions. Like others i'm guessing 12 or 13 songs to tell the story.

BYOB = awesome

This is the only aspect of Rush I never liked. Im not religious, but I choose to take a more indifferent approach, maybe there is a god, but I cant worship something I dont know exists. So I dont know if there is or isnt one. But to say you know there is no god is just funny to me. Our little minds dont know anything. Maybe the planets are all just tiny cells in some impossibly huge cosmic cow that isnt even aware of us.

What I dont like about Neil's writing is how he seems so sure of things, things he's not meant to understand. He acts as if religion is a bad thing, and its not. Its just something for ppl to believe in, to help them deal with life, to get through it. Others will use religion for the wrong reasons, but its really a very small percentage, most religious ppl I know are good ppl.

He's just so negative and emo about it all the time. How about singing about the good aspects of religion for once and stop attacking everyone. He comes across as a child when he sings about this all the time.

Archived