Believe in what we're told

Until our final breath

While our loving Watchmaker

Loves us all to death"

Anyone else?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 1 2010, 08:41 PM)
Can we spell 'sarcasm'? Do you love this sarcasm?

Sure...

Let's see if we can fix that for you.

Any thoughts on the subject though.

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Jun 1 2010, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 1 2010, 08:41 PM)
Can we spell 'sarcasm'? Do you love this sarcasm?

Sure...

Let's see if we can fix that for you.

Any thoughts on the subject though.

Yes, Neil is a condescending insulting prick. I like him.

I've noticed the same, C. And in case the lyrics themselves aren't enough, Geddy pretty much hammers it home with his intonation, especially on the last couple of lines.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jun 1 2010, 08:56 PM)
"While our loving watchmaker loves us all to death"

that was the first line outta these two songs to catch m ear, and it made me smile a little bit.
very sarrcastic, and dark, and anti religious......i like it!

I listened 4 times, each more closely.

Then I got the lyrics cause I was laughing.

I LOVE IT!!!

I really can't think of a Rush song as angry as this one. But I love it. It works.

I don't know, I kind of expect more from Neil, the lyrics and S&A were critical, but smart and poetic AND went a bit deeper(Armor and Sword even put faith in a positive light but warned how it could be twisted) then this songs lyrics, which is just phrased to be sarcastic as everyone said and insult people of faith as opposed to make a statement that's reasonable(ie most of the stuff on S&A). Not to mention it pales in comparison to the titanic majority of past lyrics and a seriously, another song about religion, Snakes already did it much, much better, but I digress....(not really, but it seemed to be the right line to end the post, I'm also done talking so it doesn't matter).

This album may be Neil's big eff you to the world. Maybe they know more than we do....maybe it will be their final word to the world. They sound a little...aggressive...with these songs. I think this album is going to cover a lot of ground lyrically...with clockwork precision.

As was pointed out (and ignored) in another thread, the liner notes read thusly:

"Music and lyrics by Lee/Lifeson/Peart". With a few exceptions, Neil has ALWAYS gotten sole credit as the lyricist.

It ain't just Neil this time round, kids. Remember the interview with Geddy a few years back (no, I don't remember exactly when, or who published it) when he was queried about his views on religion? He's not exactly devout. He said something to the effect that, "If there is a God, he needs to be severely reprimanded."

Now that we seem to have a few different opinions, let's add to it.

The clock has a Satanic Cross symbol on it. So maybe for those who want to think he isn't SARCASTIC will say he is telling the story in chapters...

This is just a chapter. Chapter 1:00

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Jun 1 2010, 06:39 PM)
"All is for the best
Blind men in the market
Buying what we're sold
Until our final breath
While our loving Watchmaker
Loves us all to death"

Anyone else?

Incredible lyrics. I'm going to get them tattooed on my penis.

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Jun 1 2010, 10:47 PM)
Now that we seem to have a few different opinions, let's add to it.

The clock has a Satanic Cross symbol on it. So maybe for those who want to think he isn't SARCASTIC will say he is telling the story in chapters...

This is just a chapter. Chapter 1:00

Could very well be, given that the band have done some hinting around at a concept-type album.

All I can offer right now is to say that I love the hell out of the song (pun intended) and can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

And maybe this "character" (if there is one) will have some sort of redemption/growth. It does start off very dark, could involve some sort of an ascension as it progresses.

I also think the album could end up having 13 songs - could start at 12:00 and end at 12:00. Maybe their will be a "Caravan Part II" or something similar. Should come full circle like a clock.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:49 PM)

Incredible lyrics. I'm going to get them tattooed on my penis.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/Jerry-3D1.jpg

Archived