RUSH Reissues confirmed for 2011!

rtrushfan

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 27 2010, 07:18 PM)
I'd pay a lot of money for vinyl reissues of the whole catalog.

Hey that would mean Test For Echo finally getting pressed on vinyl wink.gif

But yes, out of all, as long as they fix VAPOR TRAILS!!!!! I'll be happy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought of the later albums on vinyl for the first time. I would love to hear T4E and Counterparts on vinyl. I know it was released, but I never heard VT on vinyl. I like most of the songs and I bet it would sound a hell of a lot better in that format. Sign me up!

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 27 2010, 12:40 PM)
The Million dollar question everyone will be asking is...

Will Vapor Trails be included in this????

Not me. But I will get every album from FBN to Grace.

Yeah no shit, VT and RUSH are the only 2 albums I don't own yet!

I've been waiting for a remastered VT before taking the plunge. laugh.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ May 27 2010, 02:25 PM)
What exactly is the point of releasing music albums in 5.1 audio? I know it'd be cool if you're listening to music on your home theater system, but who really does that? I listen to 90% of my music in the car or on my computer.

I kind of agree with you. But that probably also has something to do with me not having a home stereo to appreciate 5.1 surround.

Edited by greg2112

I can't help but agree with most of the comments I've seen here:

1) If this means a Vapor Trails remaster (and I mean a bloody true remaster, not just slight tweaks or making some things quieter) then I will undoubtedly purchase it. I never had too much of a problem with the sound quality of any other albums (no, not even Presto), though I do sometimes think that T4E could use a little less emphasis on the guitar and drums and more on the bass (off-topic slightly, sorry). So CD remasters aren't high on my purchase list unless some major changes are being made in the sound to change the experience.

2) A vinyl reissue would make my year. I own all the albums between MP and Presto on vinyl and I've had quite a difficult time trying to acquire any of the others for a decent price. Roll the Bones would be the album I would most look forward to on record (even though I like Counterparts as an album more, odd I know).

QUOTE (rtrushfan @ May 27 2010, 10:30 AM)
From rushisaband.com:

... Rush's back catalogue will be the subject of a major reissues campaign in 2011 ...

I really hope that these reissues will be like the new Genesis and King Crimson reissues and contain a DVD-A disc with 5.1 surround sound. I know from interviews that Steven Wilson is very interested in remixing the Rush catalogue in 5.1 and he's talked to Alex about it before. Let's hope it happens!

Not again! I have all of the Japan SHM releases!! Endless. Audiophiles Unite!

I am looking forward to these hopefully amazing 2.gif reissues.. cheer.gif

I own everything from FBN to Presto on vinyl but they're all old copies from the 70s and 80s that are beat up and some of them skip. I'd love to replace them with 180-gram remastered pressings.

They could even release limited edition 4xLP box sets for Different Stages, Rio, R30, and S&A Live and I'd buy those too.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 27 2010, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 27 2010, 10:42 AM)

I hope so. It would be VT's best bet to finally go gold! biggrin.gif

Seriously they need to just delete this album and remove it from their catalog - best to pretend it never happened. Remix it, remaster it, do whatever - it will still be their worst album by a very wide margin. Ok, I'll be quiet now. ph34r.gif

Are you sure? You've taken every OTHER opportunity to put down this album... will it ever stop? laugh.gif

Really all we need. I have no plans to buy the catalog again as I almost have everything and don't have a 5.1 setup.

Speaking of the old 97 remasters, I'm not sure if they suffer from the "loudness war" treatment because this only seems to apply to albums put out in the past decade. But next year's remasters hopefully won't undergo the same process.

And I hope they put some of them out on vinyl, as people have said. I'd only pick up a few, if any - maybe Caress and Fly By Night. Really miss the warm, natural sound of analog. Itunes does very little to help this.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 27 2010, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ May 27 2010, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 27 2010, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 27 2010, 10:42 AM)

I hope so. It would be VT's best bet to finally go gold! biggrin.gif

Remix it, remaster it, do whatever - it will still be their BEST album by a very wide margin. Ok, I'll be quiet now. ph34r.gif

FIXED

Best album? You're joking, right? I swear there must be two versions of that album out there as I've never heard the version some people are listening to. facepalm.gif

I can't speak for shaun3701, but I know that I'm not joking when I say that VT is their best album ever. Personally I hope they don't remaster it. I like the album just the way it is.

QUOTE (quickfree @ May 28 2010, 11:15 AM)
Speaking of the old 97 remasters, I'm not sure if they suffer from the "loudness war" treatment because this only seems to apply to albums put out in the past decade. But next year's remasters hopefully won't undergo the same process.

And I hope they put some of them out on vinyl, as people have said. I'd only pick up a few, if any - maybe Caress and Fly By Night. Really miss the warm, natural sound of analog. Itunes does very little to help this.

I put the original Tom Sawyer and the 97 re-master up against each other in Audition, and the 97 re-master is brickwalled.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ May 28 2010, 11:59 AM)

I put the original Tom Sawyer and the 97 re-master up against each other in Audition, and the 97 re-master is brickwalled.

There's something about the MP remaster I don't like... if you have a good subwoofer, the bass drum is like WAY louder than everything else. It almost overpowers every other instrument to the point that's all you can hear. Adjusting setting only helps a little. The "Gold" version seems a little better for some reason.

If they don't come with extra's like unreleased live songs or vid's they can scratch it

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ May 28 2010, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ May 28 2010, 11:59 AM)

There's something about the MP remaster I don't like... if you have a good subwoofer, the bass drum is like WAY louder than everything else. It almost overpowers every other instrument to the point that's all you can hear. Adjusting setting only helps a little. The "Gold" version seems a little better for some reason.

I don't have the gold version, but for me the MP remaster is a VAST improvement over the original CD, and I do have a good subwoofer.

My only experience with the MFSL gold version is Signals. I've compared the original cd with the gold MFSL cd with the remastered version of the cd. For me the original and the gold MFSL cd's sound EXACTLY the same, and both are easily bested by the remastered version. Maybe that's not the same with the gold MP or 2112...

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ May 28 2010, 12:59 PM)

It's louder but not really brickwalled. I just checked TS in Audition and only the drums in a few places pushed it up to 0. The 97 remasters sound great to me.

I'll be game if there's 5.1 mixes and/or a second disc of live tracks. We know there won't be b-sides and rarities but there's no reason why they can't put a second disc of a concert from said tour on. Or maybe there's some footage lying around in the vault for a DVD?

Sounds intriguing though.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 28 2010, 12:26 PM)

It's louder but not really brickwalled. I just checked TS in Audition and only the drums in a few places pushed it up to 0. The 97 remasters sound great to me.

Maybe not brickwalled, but much louder. Much louder.

I think the original pressings have the warmest sound. The 97 remasters don't sound bad, and the difference is undetectable.

Edited by moedrabowsky

QUOTE (rtrushfan @ May 27 2010, 12:30 PM)
From rushisaband.com:

... Rush's back catalogue will be the subject of a major reissues campaign in 2011 ...

I really hope that these reissues will be like the new Genesis and King Crimson reissues and contain a DVD-A disc with 5.1 surround sound. I know from interviews that Steven Wilson is very interested in remixing the Rush catalogue in 5.1 and he's talked to Alex about it before. Let's hope it happens!

There better be remixed versions and studio outtakes or alternate versions of songs on there or I am not buying them. I could care less about DVD-A or 5.1 discs. The audiophiles are in the extreme minority, give me more on the discs besides 5.1 and updated artwork.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ May 28 2010, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 28 2010, 12:26 PM)

Maybe not brickwalled, but much louder. Much louder.

I think the original pressings have the warmest sound.

goodpost.gif

To give a comparison, here's what the waveform for Tom Sawyer from the original CD pressing (France) looks like:

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/926/tomsawyerorigfrawavefor.gif

And then the 1997 remaster:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2831/tomsawyerrmwaveform.gif

And now to compare, I've normalized the remastered audio to the same average RMS power as the original pressing, and put 'em on top of each other. The red wave is the remaster, and the green areas are the original.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5372/samerms.gif

I believe Broon had things right the first time, and that he left those green areas in there for a reason. wink.gif

I'm always skeptical about remasters, and try to avoid them. Most of them are compressed / hard-limited and have way too much high-end. I guess it's because hardly anyone plays their music on a stereo system these days, and instead uses iPods and such. Unless the remasters are really true to their form, I likely won't be purchasing.