What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 26 2007, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Dec 26 2007, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 26 2007, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Dec 26 2007, 04:25 PM)
Hollywood Station - Joseph Wambaugh

I love "true crime," so I've read some Wambaugh. His writing is a bit dry for what should be exciting police stories.

Do you think so? I loved The Onion Field. This is only the second Wambaugh book I've read. My Dad borrowed me T.O.F. and I found it to be one of my favourite books I'd ever read in terms a great story (Even though he obviously didn't write that) and keeping the reader interested through technique etc. My Dad bought me Hollywood Station for Christmas and I've just read the first chapter. Not sure I'll enjoy it as much as The Onion Field as I really do enjoy true stories but we'll see. Already it seems quite exciting.

The Choirboys was a favorite novel of mine as a kid. Funny movie, too.

Heard of that one, will probably by my next one if I enjoy Hollywood Station as much as I am so far. I'm gonna hop into bed and read a little of it soon actually.

QUOTE (New World Man @ Dec 28 2007, 11:07 PM)
Reading "How to survive anything, anywhere. A handbook of survival skills for every scenario and environment."

Sounds like something that would turn Jack on. laugh.gif

But he probably already owns a copy. yes.gif

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Dec 30 2007, 02:44 PM)
Chemistry - Jon Collins

Not bad. A few verifiable factual errors, but good overall.

Geddy is made out to be an assertive dictator in the studio (and, by his own admission, he is), while it takes the timid and insecure Alex several albums before finally speaking up and saying, "Ummm, can we leave out the keyboards this time?"

(Songs for Lovers): Give Me - Irina Denezhkina

Picked it up for $2 at work, figured I'd give it a shot. Full chapter in (only has 12) and I'm enjoying it so far.

I finally finished "For One More Day." Yes, I'm a sreader (slow reader). Very awesome, personal book. My Mom died without any opportunity for closure and it really hit home. Great read and he uses a very interesting device to tell the story.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Dec 31 2007, 07:19 AM)
http://www.lawreports.co.uk/Newsletter/OnlineArticles/spycatcher.jpg

Cool! I'll read that one day. yes.gif

I finally finished Jane Eyre and LOVED it. Yesterday I started Atonement by Ian McEwan.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 1 2008, 04:18 PM)
I finally finished Jane Eyre and LOVED it. Yesterday I started Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Atonement is excellent. I haven't seen the movie yet - not sure whether I want to although I do slightly have the hots for James McAvoy.

I've just started Roadshow. In fact (sorry GG wink.gif ) I'm taking Neil in the bath with me in a few mins (it is gone 8pm here and it's work tomorrow) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

QUOTE (skyswing @ Dec 31 2007, 03:20 PM)
I finally finished "For One More Day." Yes, I'm a sreader (slow reader). Very awesome, personal book. My Mom died without any opportunity for closure and it really hit home. Great read and he uses a very interesting device to tell the story.

Have you read "The Five People you meet in Heaven" by the same author? If not, you must.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 1 2008, 09:18 AM)

Jane Eyre is just one of those that needs to be read every decade or so.

I'm reading The Varieties of Religious Experience again - a meaty book that takes time to digest but is so worth the effort.

It's interesting to see how the author contrasts atheism and transcendentalism with more traditional religions in his examination of the value of individual religious & spiritual experience. Even though it was originally published 105 years ago it's still so relevant and stimulating.

The author, William James, was writing at a time when religious tolerance appears to have been far more widespread in America than it is now, though we seem to consider ourselves so much more "enlightened" now than back then...

Good book!

L

QUOTE (edie @ Jan 1 2008, 02:14 PM)
I finally finished Jane Eyre and LOVED it.  Yesterday I started Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Atonement is excellent. I haven't seen the movie yet - not sure whether I want to although I do slightly have the hots for James McAvoy.

I've just started Roadshow. In fact (sorry GG wink.gif ) I'm taking Neil in the bath with me in a few mins (it is gone 8pm here and it's work tomorrow) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

laugh.gif

I've taken him in the bath with me, and I bring him to bed with me all the time...so I understand. wink.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 1 2008, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (edie @ Jan 1 2008, 02:14 PM)
I finally finished Jane Eyre and LOVED it.  Yesterday I started Atonement by Ian McEwan.

laugh.gif

I've taken him in the bath with me, and I bring him to bed with me all the time...so I understand. wink.gif

Hey, you all watch it in here... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Roadshow is a great book. Ive like all his books, and even when he stops playing music (hopefully never wink.gif) --- I hope he keeps writing books!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 1 2008, 10:18 AM)
Yesterday I started Atonement by Ian McEwan.

That's what I'm reading. It was a gift from my in-laws, who live in Scotland, for Christmas 2002. With the movie getting good reviews, and my increasing willingness to read "literary" novels, I'm giving it a go at last. It's slow-moving, but I recognize the writing as brilliant. After reading the third chapter, I was shaking my head in amazement at the writing.

Chemistry - Jon Collins

I bought that a lil while ago, I havent read it yet... I just finished Roadshow by Neil Peart and now I am reading Let's Spend the Night Together by Pamela Des Barres... wub.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jan 3 2008, 09:29 AM)
Chemistry - Jon Collins

I bought that a lil while ago, I havent read it yet... I just finished Roadshow by Neil Peart and now I am reading Let's Spend the Night Together by Pamela Des Barres... wub.gif

Let me know what you think of Pammy's book Ya Ya smile.gif bekloppt.gif