Sepultura

WCFIELDS

That is an incredible album, definitely a landmark metal album everyone should own. Their run from Schizophrenia - Roots was just brilliant. Then they just devolved into run of the mill downtuned sludge when Max left. But Arise was definitely a major album in my earlier metalhead years (not to mention the absolute sickest album cover EVER!)

I have fond memories of blasting Desperate Cry on the bus on the way home from school... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ May 15 2010, 11:18 AM)
That is an incredible album, definitely a landmark metal album everyone should own.  Their run from Schizophrenia - Roots was just brilliant.  Then they just devolved into run of the mill downtuned sludge when Max left.  But Arise was definitely a major album in my earlier metalhead years (not to mention the absolute sickest album cover EVER!)

I have fond memories of blasting Desperate Cry on the bus on the way home from school... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I actually discovered them from a guy who use to ride on our school bus. He sat at the very back of the bus and always had his walkman CRANKED and he had those old style foam headphones.....the small round ones that almost resembled a little speaker, as opposed to headphones. It was so loud, you could almost hear everything (especially in the morning when the bus was so quiet). And the the bus was small too....so it carried. He almost always listened to Metallica and Megadeth. Then one day he was blasting something totally heavy and thrashy, and I was like WTF is that?? He showed me the cassette cover, and I went and bought it the next day (because he wouldn't lend it to me lol).....and yeah, I listened to it several hundred times after that. Still love it to this day. Remains - Roots was their best stretch for sure.....

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 15 2010, 03:21 PM)
I actually discovered them from a guy who use to ride on our school bus. He sat at the very back of the bus and always had his walkman CRANKED and he had those old style foam headphones.....the small round ones that almost resembled a little speaker, as opposed to headphones. It was so loud, you could almost hear everything (especially in the morning when the bus was so quiet). And the the bus was small too....so it carried. He almost always listened to Metallica and Megadeth. Then one day he was blasting something totally heavy and thrashy, and I was like WTF is that?? He showed me the cassette cover, and I went and bought it the next day (because he wouldn't lend it to me lol).....and yeah, I listened to it several hundred times after that. Still love it to this day. Remains - Roots was their best stretch for sure.....

You didn't go to school in South Jersey did you?? That describes me to a T - just on the bus in the backseat blasting whatever metal I could find (this was even pre-junior high!)

I was so much cooler back then... cool.gif

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ May 15 2010, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 15 2010, 03:21 PM)

You didn't go to school in South Jersey did you?? That describes me to a T - just on the bus in the backseat blasting whatever metal I could find (this was even pre-junior high!)

I was so much cooler back then... cool.gif

Haha.....no man.....I'm Canada in the middle of nowhere!! What was your first Sepultura album?

Yes, Arise is great though the production is a little thin. To me, Chaos AD was their best album. Its a total classic. Roots was cool, but I don't prefer them sounding like Korn, tuned down to B. Any post-Max stuff doesn't exist to me.

My fav album from them. That tour was amazing

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 17 2010, 11:03 PM)
Cavalera Conspiracy are recording their new album.....Inflikted was awesome. Any Sep fans who don't have this, need to get it.

Inflikted is awesome, I agree. I have actually never heard a single Soulfly album, just 7 or 8 songs here or there. Does anyone know how any of their stuff compares to Cavalera Conspiracy? RIP RJD. rose.gif

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ May 18 2010, 01:19 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 17 2010, 11:03 PM)
Cavalera Conspiracy are recording their new album.....Inflikted was awesome. Any Sep fans who don't have this, need to get it.

Inflikted is awesome, I agree. I have actually never heard a single Soulfly album, just 7 or 8 songs here or there. Does anyone know how any of their stuff compares to Cavalera Conspiracy? RIP RJD. rose.gif

Soulfly isn't bad......not as good as Cavalera Conspiracy or Sepultura though......The Max/Igor combo take things to the next level.....

Wow I haven't thought about these guys in FOREVER man!

That's the only cassette I own from them. I remember Dead Embryonic Cells of course and who could forget the video for War for Territories?

I wasn't too fond of the Cav Con album, I was hoping for some classic Sepultura stuff, but Max seemed to come up with his same old tired cliches. I think he perhaps works too hard, and some of is music suffers for it.

That said, I'm looking forward to the next one as I am with any Cavalera-relates release, and try and catch them live if you can; they were fantastic when I saw them, and they play a great setlist with a lot of the classics thrown in.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 23 2010, 11:16 PM)
Soulfly isn't bad......not as good as Cavalera Conspiracy or Sepultura though......The Max/Igor combo take things to the next level.....

yes.gif

I just read an interview with Max in which he states the newly recorded Cav Cons album makes the first one sound like pop music. A lot of short fast songs, like "Reign In Blood or Minor Threat". Not sure what to make of this. As long as they don't bring hip hop into it like SF does.

As some of you may know I´m Brazilian, so it´s great to see a band from my country mentioned here. I saw them twice - once with Max at the Rock in Rio II (1991), when Arise was coming out, and then on Rock in Rio III with Derrick, in 2001. I can´t even remember which album they were promoting back then. Over the years I tried to listen to their recent releases, and although they had some great concepts, album covers etc., the music is just not there...and recently even Max´ brother left, leaving Paulo Jr. as the only original member. It´s getting harder to relate to them at each release.