Does Rush have the greatest career?

Xanadoood

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 22 2010, 07:10 AM)
Well to play Devils advocate on behalf of the Stones I would present this argument...

1. The quality of an album is in the eyes of the fan. Many casual fans would say Rush hasn't made a really good album in over 20 years.

2. The Stones may be am oldies act to some because, THERE OLD!!! laugh.gif but they have been touring consistently, since the 60's.

3. The Rolling Stones have been able to play stadiums and fill them since the start of there career and can still do it in 2010. Rush would not sell out Madison Square Garden.

My point is The Rolling Stones have had a more successful career then Rush and only a diehard Rush fan would think otherwise. atickhum.gif

goodpost.gif

Tick, there are many good points there. I would certainly put the Stones right up there for sure, especially considering their longetivity. I too, am not a fan of theirs, but I give them their due for sure.

They clearly lead in terms of overall studio releases, but also had a 10-year head-start on Rush, and Rush also had that 5-year hiatus as well.

However, I would argue that the Stones also had more lineup changes, not to mention that their last studio album was released in 2005, and before that, 1997. I know Goobs is always on Rush's case for a lack of studio releases recently, but the fact is, the Stones have only released 3 albums since the 90's began, compared to Rush's 5 studio releases (6 with 'Feedback').

The Stones tour alot still...and they sell out arenas for sure. But I would argue that many fans that go to see them, go mainly for the classic material and not their new stuff. Now, I know Rush is essentially the same, but I think there are still many Rush fans who go to see them play new material as well (I know I do). There were still many favourable reviews of S&A, just from people on this board alone.

Again, I'm not disputing what the Stones have done. They may very well be the standard setter for the "greatest career", and I wouldn't go against that. But I would argue that no-one has had the career Rush has had in terms of longetivity, albums released, coupled with the exact SAME lineup through all albums outside of the debut, and their ability to stay away from negative press (outside of Al's little New Year's fiasco).

Obviously, we also cannot take record sales into account, as I absolutely don't believe in that being any sort of valid criteria. Let's face it, some 'bands' like the "Backstreet Boys" and such sold millions of records with one or two albums, but that doesn't account for a great career IMO, especially when that career didn't go past 2-3 albums.

But I want to point out something, and ask especially those who maybe disliked or hated 'Snakes & Arrows'.

Can you think of or name a band that released an album as good as S&A at that point in their career (30+ years after their debut album was released)?

Two points: I'm amazed that the Stones are all even still ALIVE, especially Keith Richards.

As far as Rush "never sparking a movement" - maybe not as a band, but Neil certainly set a benchmark for rock drumming back in the 70's and 80's. The same could plausibly be argued for Geddy on the bass.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2010, 06:52 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 22 2010, 04:43 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 22 2010, 02:06 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2010, 01:52 AM)
Grateful Dead

To many member changes.

And not enough "Hits"

None of that matters, including number of albums as someone else mentioned. They were always more of a live band than a studio band anyway. In terms of overall societal impact over a long period of time, I vote for them.

The fact that you pick these guys shows how out of touch with reality you really are Gary!!

laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 22 2010, 07:10 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 22 2010, 08:00 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 22 2010, 06:39 AM)
I don't think the word "best" works with the subject matter.  Too much in the way of apple & orange comparisons.  Besides, this topic seems like it's really about fan vanity.

It isnt fan vanity. If you were to describe a perfect career, as far as the positives outweighing the negatives, i just find it hard to beat Rush. You could say the Stones, as far as length, but really, when was their last good album?...Rush has never really become a golden oldies act, nor have they been making the same album for 30 years like ac/dc...thats what i mean by greatest.

Well to play Devils advocate on behalf of the Stones I would present this argument...

1. The quality of an album is in the eyes of the fan. Many casual fans would say Rush hasn't made a really good album in over 20 years.

2. The Stones may be am oldies act to some because, THERE OLD!!! laugh.gif but they have been touring consistently, since the 60's.

3. The Rolling Stones have been able to play stadiums and fill them since the start of there career and can still do it in 2010. Rush would not sell out Madison Square Garden.

My point is The Rolling Stones have had a more successful career then Rush and only a diehard Rush fan would think otherwise. atickhum.gif

Good points. I think the Rush fanbase has added to their career greatness. If you go to a Stones show, i gaurentee most of the fans could give two shits about hearing new material. Us Rush fans are hardcore about that shit. Its add to their integrity. They dont just go through the motions.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 04:50 PM)
Would I rather have Rush's career or the Beatles'? Tough choice there. eyesre4.gif

36 years being together and coming up on their 19th studio album?...No one can argue The Beatles greatness, and as far as history is concerned, they will be always be spoken before Rush. But id rather have a long career with some ups and downs than a 5 to 10 year career of brilliance. What has ringo been up to the last 30 years?...

QUOTE (AVman9 @ Apr 22 2010, 12:56 PM)
Other than the Stones, I would have to say they have.

Other bands that come close:

AC/DC
ZZ Top
Tom Petty

................Tom Petty ?

Not Van Halen ?

Not Kiss ?

...... Tom Petty ? confused13.gif

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 22 2010, 08:28 PM)

AC/DC
ZZ Top
Tom Petty

Not Van Halen ?

Not Kiss ?

laugh.gif

Man, i wish i could go along with Halen MD, but Eddie has seriously shit on his legacy. Hes made it real difficult to be a fan the last 15 years sad.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 22 2010, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 22 2010, 08:28 PM)

AC/DC
ZZ Top
Tom Petty

Not Van Halen ?

Not Kiss ?

laugh.gif

Man, i wish i could go along with Halen MD, but Eddie has seriously shit on his legacy. Hes made it real difficult to be a fan the last 15 years sad.gif

Yeah but you have to look at the whole picture . Ya know ? Almost every band has a fu*k up laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 22 2010, 02:48 AM)
Considering how long they've been around, and how many good/great albums they've released, would it be a stretch to say that 2.gif has had the greatest career in the history of popular music?....I mean, who even comes close?..

Rolling Stones and Aerosmith do.

In fact, I think the Stones pass them in terms of longevity.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 22 2010, 08:14 PM)
Bands with perfect careers:                                                                         

The Doors

Not quite:

*cough* http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fi/thumb/c/ce/The_Doors_-_The_Soft_Parade.jpg/252px-The_Doors_-_The_Soft_Parade.jpg *cough*

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 27 2010, 01:14 PM)

The Doors

Not quite:

*cough* http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fi/thumb/c/ce/The_Doors_-_The_Soft_Parade.jpg/252px-The_Doors_-_The_Soft_Parade.jpg *cough*

Yeah, it's a bit of a lemon.

Waiting For The Sun is a bit padded out too.

I'd probably say U2 has the greatest career. I'd imagine they could sell out the same arena for 365 days straight, they have the same 4 members they started with, the ability/clout to play literally anywhere on Earth, and most importantly, they play a TON of new material live on tour and frequently play rare songs.

They're forward thinking and even thought their last studio album was somewhat of a letdown, they're still representing it live heavily and I respect that. Plus they do a pretty good selection of material from all their albums alongside their hits. I hate bands that release new music and only do 2 new songs and then the usual tired hits.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 27 2010, 09:12 AM)
I'd probably say U2 has the greatest career. I'd imagine they could sell out the same arena for 365 days straight, they have the same 4 members they started with, the ability/clout to play literally anywhere on Earth, and most importantly, they play a TON of new material live on tour and frequently play rare songs.

They're forward thinking and even thought their last studio album was somewhat of a letdown, they're still representing it live heavily and I respect that. Plus they do a pretty good selection of material from all their albums alongside their hits. I hate bands that release new music and only do 2 new songs and then the usual tired hits.

Yeah I wouldnt argue that at all. I dont love U2, but they sure have had a hell of a career. They're up there with all the greats I think, Van Halen, the Beatles, LedZep, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Grateful Dead, Kiss, Metallica.... and if you want to get outside of modern rock, then of course Elvis, Michael Jackson, Mariah Carrey, people like that.

And Rush is in that group as well, but I would definitely put them behind some of those bands.

Its kind of silly to even discuss this though. Rush has been around forever, put out many albums, so its safe to say they've had one of the greatest careers ever in rock, but as far as who is the best, many things come into play there. Album sales being one, and I think Rush is behind every band I mentioned up there in terms of sales.

Not sure about Kiss though, I only put them on there because they are pretty legendary. They werent nearly as productive as Rush, but they still had a pretty damn big career going on.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 27 2010, 08:14 AM)

The Doors

Not quite:

It's good, not great. My least fav but still a 3/5.

If you look at longevity combined with fewest personel changes and that the only time you've read in the tabloids, anything negative about Rush was Alex's brush with the Florida SS, then I'd say Rush have had one of the longest, consistent, cleanest and best musicianship type of career in the history of rock and roll.

(FWIW, Michael Jackson, Madonna... are not Rock... they're pop - big diff).

That said, without question, Rush have certainly had the BEST rock career among Canadian rock bands and are fantastic ambassadors for Canada.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 27 2010, 08:14 AM)

The Doors

Not quite:

Hehe, i knew it tongue.gif

Archived