Does Rush have the greatest career?

Xanadoood

Considering how long they've been around, and how many good/great albums they've released, would it be a stretch to say that 2.gif has had the greatest career in the history of popular music?....I mean, who even comes close?..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Rush Fan I would be inclined to agree - however, you would have to establish a points system based on many variables. I think we all feel like they have had the greatest, and maybe they do too, but once you start thinking about it, you have to wonder -

You have to consider (in no order) -

- Total Worldwide Album Sales

- Total Number of Studio and Live Albums

- Number of Personnel Changes

- Total Number of People Attending Gigs

- Number of Gigs

- Number of Awards

And I dare say you will have many more criteria to add. But suddenly you have to consider AC/DC, Madonna, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Michael Jackson, Metallica, Guns'n'Roses, Van Halen, Motorhead, The Beatles, The Kinks, Pink Floyd to name but a few.

It is a very subjective notion "greatest"

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Apr 22 2010, 03:47 AM)
As a Rush Fan I would be inclined to agree - however, you would have to establish a points system based on many variables. I think we all feel like they have had the greatest, and maybe they do too, but once you start thinking about it, you have to wonder -

You have to consider (in no order) -

- Total Worldwide Album Sales
- Total Number of Studio and Live Albums
- Number of Personnel Changes
- Total Number of People Attending Gigs
- Number of Gigs
- Number of Awards

And I dare say you will have many more criteria to add. But suddenly you have to consider AC/DC, Madonna, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Michael Jackson, Metallica, Guns'n'Roses, Van Halen, Motorhead, The Beatles, The Kinks, Pink Floyd to name but a few.

It is a very subjective notion "greatest"

Album sales, awards, concert attendance, fanbase, respect among other musicians etc...

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 22 2010, 04:17 AM)
Is this thread serious?

Explain?

I don't think the word "best" works with the subject matter. Too much in the way of apple & orange comparisons. Besides, this topic seems like it's really about fan vanity.

I love Rush and for me personally I would say yes, but I would say The Rolling Stones may get this title.

For the record, I do NOT like The Rolling Stones, but I think they may be the winner.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 22 2010, 02:06 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2010, 01:52 AM)
Grateful Dead

To many member changes.

And not enough "Hits"

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 22 2010, 07:43 AM)
Grateful Dead

To many member changes.

And not enough "Hits"

I'd like to hit them all! with a baseball bat! laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 22 2010, 04:43 AM)
Grateful Dead

To many member changes.

And not enough "Hits"

None of that matters, including number of albums as someone else mentioned. They were always more of a live band than a studio band anyway. In terms of overall societal impact over a long period of time, I vote for them.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 22 2010, 06:39 AM)
I don't think the word "best" works with the subject matter. Too much in the way of apple & orange comparisons. Besides, this topic seems like it's really about fan vanity.

It isnt fan vanity. If you were to describe a perfect career, as far as the positives outweighing the negatives, i just find it hard to beat Rush. You could say the Stones, as far as length, but really, when was their last good album?...Rush has never really become a golden oldies act, nor have they been making the same album for 30 years like ac/dc...thats what i mean by greatest.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2010, 06:52 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 22 2010, 04:43 AM)
Grateful Dead

To many member changes.

And not enough "Hits"

None of that matters, including number of albums as someone else mentioned. They were always more of a live band than a studio band anyway. In terms of overall societal impact over a long period of time, I vote for them.

I agree as far as a "Studio Band" goes, they were not. They did have the Live thing down . Crazy fans with no jobs that did not shower , went Everwhere to see them laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 22 2010, 08:00 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 22 2010, 06:39 AM)
I don't think the word "best" works with the subject matter.  Too much in the way of apple & orange comparisons.  Besides, this topic seems like it's really about fan vanity.

It isnt fan vanity. If you were to describe a perfect career, as far as the positives outweighing the negatives, i just find it hard to beat Rush. You could say the Stones, as far as length, but really, when was their last good album?...Rush has never really become a golden oldies act, nor have they been making the same album for 30 years like ac/dc...thats what i mean by greatest.

Well to play Devils advocate on behalf of the Stones I would present this argument...

1. The quality of an album is in the eyes of the fan. Many casual fans would say Rush hasn't made a really good album in over 20 years.

2. The Stones may be am oldies act to some because, THERE OLD!!! laugh.gif but they have been touring consistently, since the 60's.

3. The Rolling Stones have been able to play stadiums and fill them since the start of there career and can still do it in 2010. Rush would not sell out Madison Square Garden.

My point is The Rolling Stones have had a more successful career then Rush and only a diehard Rush fan would think otherwise. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 22 2010, 07:10 AM)
1. The quality of an album is in the eyes of the fan. Many casual fans would say Rush hasn't made a really good album in over 20 years.

2. The Stones may be am oldies act to some because, THERE OLD!!! laugh.gif but they have been touring consistently, since the 60's.

3. The Rolling Stones have been able to play stadiums and fill them since the start of there career and can still do it in 2010. Rush would not sell out Madison Square Garden.

My point is The Rolling Stones have had a more successful career then Rush and only a diehard Rush fan would think otherwise. atickhum.gif

goodpost.gif

Defnitely not. There's a handful of bands I would put over them, such as The Rolling Stones, U2, Beatles, Metallica. All bands that really helped change music, U2 to a much lesser extent than the rest though.

Bringing up hits is silly with a band like grateful dead. First of all rush doesnt have more hits than them, secondly the dead were far more popular than rush ever was. They really had an amazing career, id probably put them over Rush. They started that whole jam band thing thats still going on today.

Rush never sparked any sort of movement in music. They were great at what they did, but not original in such a way to change music itself like many of those bands I mentioned.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 22 2010, 07:10 AM)

I agree 100%

Archived