intense movies that make you feel

circumstantial tree

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 17 2010, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 17 2010, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 15 2010, 04:49 PM)
I don't want to turn this into a religion thread, but the actual crucifixion of Christ as well as others who were crucified was one of the worst kinds of torture that one can endure. If the movie portrays this violently, then it probably did the actual event justice.

I don't think any one is. By its nature its a religious film. I just happened to find it far more violent than most movies religious types often condemn. Irony.

When you consider what the Crucifixion means and its significance to Christians, there is a difference.

It's based on historical fact (like Saving Private Ryan) and not a fantasy based film that is specifically catered to those who like seeing violence.

The question is, is the violence in films like The Passion of the Christ and Saving Private Ryan gratuitous and exploitative?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 17 2010, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 17 2010, 10:26 AM)
I don't want to turn this into a religion thread, but the actual crucifixion of Christ as well as others who were crucified was one of the worst kinds of torture that one can endure. If the movie portrays this violently, then it probably did the actual event justice.

I don't think any one is. By its nature its a religious film. I just happened to find it far more violent than most movies religious types often condemn. Irony.

When you consider what the Crucifixion means and its significance to Christians, there is a difference.

It's based on historical fact (like Saving Private Ryan) and not a fantasy based film that is specifically catered to those who like seeing violence.

The question is, is the violence in films like The Passion of the Christ and Saving Private Ryan gratuitous and exploitative?

I've not seen either one, nor do I intend to simply because I don't like violent films.

I'm glad though that Mel Gibson put more truth in the crucifixion than what Renaissance paintings depict.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 17 2010, 09:26 AM)

Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer was based on actual events and factual evidence as well...told pretty accurately, from what I understand. I'm guessing this didn't sweeten the deal much with critics who decried it as a disgusting film.

Requiem For a Dream

Inside

Martyrs

The scene in Saving Private Ryan where the dude is having that knife fight with the german, and hes begging for his life as the german slowly plunges it into his chest.....very tough to watch.

QUOTE (Boots @ Apr 16 2010, 03:26 AM)
Basketball Diaries. 
Everything Leo Dicaprio does is intense. 
His acting is amazing in that one. 

Shutter Island is even better.

Going to have to agree and disagree with you there. Basketball Diaries IS excellent and so is he. He was even better in Gilbert Grape.

But his work in Titanic, The Beach, and Romeo & Juliet isn't what I'd call intense. Imho, those 3 are flirting with being total shit flicks and the best I can give Leo is that he didn't suck in them.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 18 2010, 05:11 PM)
Just saw Gran Torino, and that was certainly intense.

Get off my lawn.

I do this impression at home all the time. My wife kindly endured it for a while and now I'm simply annoying her with it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 19 2010, 10:57 PM)

Get off my lawn.

I do this impression at home all the time. My wife kindly endured it for a while and now I'm simply annoying her with it. tongue.gif

I know how she must feel. I mean, you just mentioning it now is kinda annoying tongue.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 19 2010, 11:02 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 19 2010, 10:57 PM)

Get off my lawn.

I know how she must feel. I mean, you just mentioning it now is kinda annoying tongue.gif

LOL! You should hear it..!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 17 2010, 09:57 PM)

Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer was based on actual events and factual evidence as well...told pretty accurately, from what I understand. I'm guessing this didn't sweeten the deal much with critics who decried it as a disgusting film.

Yep, that's the one for me. I was freaked out for days after watching it. No desire to watch it ever again.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 18 2010, 10:11 PM)

I finally got around to watching Gran Torino last night. It definitely packs the biggest emotional wallop of any Eastwood film I've seen to date.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Apr 27 2010, 01:19 PM)

I finally got around to watching Gran Torino last night. It definitely packs the biggest emotional wallop of any Eastwood film I've seen to date.

Gran Torino was great.

Have you seen Million Dollar Baby? It chokes me up every time.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 26 2010, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Apr 24 2010, 10:36 AM)
The one film that I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned yet is Schindler's List.  I'm unashamed to confess that I bawl my eyes out everytime I see it

yes.gif That one gets me every time.

Strangely enough, the ending of "Schindler" isn't what gets me so much as another scene much earlier in the film.

A young woman has gone to plead with Schindler to take her parents in; he basically tells her 'not a chance', as he's worried about things getting out of hand and endangering himself and others. He's pretty harsh with her, no sympathizing, just, "no, now leave!" She departs in tears, probably thinking this Oskar guy is as cold-hearted as the Gestapo.

Next scene. . .her parents are on their way into the enamelworks camp. Schindler has put them on his List and saved them.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 27 2010, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 26 2010, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Apr 24 2010, 10:36 AM)
The one film that I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned yet is Schindler's List.  I'm unashamed to confess that I bawl my eyes out everytime I see it

yes.gif That one gets me every time.

Strangely enough, the ending of "Schindler" isn't what gets me so much as another scene much earlier in the film.

A young woman has gone to plead with Schindler to take her parents in; he basically tells her 'not a chance', as he's worried about things getting out of hand and endangering himself and others. He's pretty harsh with her, no sympathizing, just, "no, now leave!" She departs in tears, probably thinking this Oskar guy is as cold-hearted as the Gestapo.

Next scene. . .her parents are on their way into the enamelworks camp. Schindler has put them on his List and saved them.

With me its the bit where it cuts to the present day and the survivors are placing the stones on Schindler's memorial along with the cast.

By the way, can I just mention that my 7 year old daughter bawls her eyes out when Han Solo gets frozen in Empire Strikes Back? wub.gif

Edited by Slaine mac Roth

We Were Soldiers. Especially this scene, which is made all the more poignant by the hauntingly beautiful lament Sgt. MacKenzie.

Scottish-
Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun

When they come a wull staun ma groon
Staun ma groon al nae be afraid

Thoughts awe hame tak awa ma fear
Sweat an bluid hide ma veil awe tears

Ains a year say a prayer faur me
Close yir een an remember me

Nair mair shall a see the sun
For a fell tae a Germans gun

English-
Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone

When they come I will stand my ground
Stand my ground I'll not be afraid

Thoughts of home take away my fear
Sweat and blood hide my veil of tears

Once a year say a prayer for me
Close your eyes and remember me

Never more shall I see the sun
For I fell to a German's gun

My Father in law, who was an artilleryman at the Ia Drang Valley during his first tour in Viet Nam, knew Colonel Hal Moore and told me that he was exactly as Gibson portrayed him.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

Just off the top of my head, that scene from Braveheart where the English Lord slits William Wallace's wife's throat at the post. I remember I was so pissed. You just knew some major shit was about to go down.

The scene from AVATAR when the Queen Tsahik screamed when she saw Hometree in flames lying on the ground. That was one of those scenes where you are furious and sad at the same time. Very intense for me.

Aliens. When the door opens upward and you see Ripley in the powerloader. I just want to stand up and scream, "YEAHHHH!" And when the Aliens are closing in on the Marines in the nest. Right before all hell breaks loose, Vasquez yells' "Let's Roooock!" and opens fire with that bad-ass smartgun.

The Abyss. When Ed Harris' character is trying to revive his wife. He slaps her in the face screaming, "You bitch! You never backed down from anything in your life! Now Fight!" The theater was dead silent.

Very intense scenes for me. I've got more. Stay tuned. I like this thread.

I don't like James Cameron very much. wink.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 8 2010, 08:24 AM)
Saving Private Ryan. The first 10 minutes of that movie was the most intense cinema experience I have ever had. And that movie stuck with me for a while. That last scene at the cemetery...damn.

Oh god, I will never see that film again.

It was a greatly made film but I saw it in the theaters and the entire way home, I felt like my legs were on fire. ugh

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Apr 27 2010, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Apr 27 2010, 01:19 PM)

Gran Torino was great.

Have you seen Million Dollar Baby? It chokes me up every time.

Million Dollar Baby was a tough ending.

Has anyone seen One Hour Photo? It's one of Robin Williams' darker/serious films and he plays this guy who works the one hour photo at a Walmart-like store. He ends up stalking this family who takes their photos there all the time. It's downright creepy -- but the film is great. The way color is used in the film and Williams' acting is superb. I do recommend it but thank god for digital cameras!!

Edited by iluvgeddy05