What is your favorite Muse studio Album  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Muse studio Album

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes and Revelations
    • The Resistance

Love them. Love all their records. Love them live most of all.

Brilliant band.

• Like 2

Brilliant band.

Awesome! What's your favorite record by them?

Black Holes And The 2nd Law. Both to me are just brilliant albums that push the envelope for this band.

• Like 1

Brilliant band.

Awesome! What's your favorite record by them?

Black Holes And The 2nd Law. Both to me are just brilliant albums that push the envelope for this band.

Man! You guys at here at TRF love The 2nd Law and The Resistance a lot more than the average Muse fan. Respect! BH&R and T2L are great albums for sure! I especially think Madness is one of the most geniusly written and arranged pop songs of all time.

Considering that I've liked every Muse album more than the previous one, I was actually shocked at how little I cared for Drones.

The 2nd Law was a masterpiece, and rightly so were at least the three albums to precede it, but Drones is just noise to me.

• Like 1

I love The 2nd Law, and especially the dub-step moments, and I often feel like I am in a microscopic minority.

No. You're not.

That is Muse doing the exact thing that I most love them for- pushing me to appreciate musical styles that I normally avoid.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 3

I find many positives with The 2nd Law, but it just doesn't compare to the songwriting and rocking out on DRONES for me. I'll always have a think for loud guitars and thundering drums, especially mixed with Bellamy's classic shriek (a little more subdued here though). YAY DRONES!
  • Like 1

I love The 2nd Law, and especially the dub-step moments, and I often feel like I am in a microscopic minority.

No. You're not.

That is Muse doing the exact thing that I most love them for- pushing me to appreciate musical styles that I normally avoid.

I sadly cannot stand Drones. But The 2nd Law remains a top three album of 2012 for me, and that is one of my favourite years for music!

It sits proudly alongside that years Lacuna Coil and Khoma albums.

Maybe its just me but all their songs sound the f***ing same.

No thanks.

I have that problem with the first three albums. I like them but unless I am paying attention (and sometimes even if I am) it is hard to tell what album or which song is currently playing.

Black Holes fixes most of these issues, but it's definitely a mood album.

No thanks.

Madness sounds nothing at all like Citizen Erased sounds nothing at all like Butterflies & Hurricanes sounds nothing like Uprising sounds nothing like Muscle Museum...should I go on?

• Like 1

No thanks.

Madness sounds nothing at all like Citizen Erased sounds nothing at all like Butterflies & Hurricanes sounds nothing like Uprising sounds nothing like Muscle Museum...should I go on?

Agreed. But I do find I get bored with them after a while.

I do love The 2nd Law though. Madness is one of the greatest songs if the millennium if you ask me, and Black Holes And Revelations is a masterpiece!

Absolution and Origin Of Symettry are great as well. I always enjoyed Showbiz more than most fans and live Muse are a mighty beast! Technical AND awe-inspiring.

I should live Muse, but I merely enjoy them on occasion.

• Like 1

No thanks.

No.

Then why bother coming to this thread if you don't want to know anymore about them?

Edited by Segue Myles

No thanks.

No.

Then why bother coming to this thread if you don't want to know anymore about them?

To make life generally miserable and complicated for you.

Seriously when I want to find out about something I like to get as much info on the subject as possible, so I just want to know what all the fuss is about. Thats how I found out about Mastodon. Baroness. 10cc. Bill Nelson. Hell, even Frank Zappa.

No thanks.

No.

Seriously when I want to find out about something I like to get as much info on the subject as possible, so I just want to know what all the fuss is about. Thats how I found out about Mastodon. Baroness. 10cc. Bill Nelson. Hell, even Frank Zappa.

Not exactly sure what you're saying here, but if you really hate Muse all that much and don't want to learn more about them and their extremely varied music, then we'd appreciate it if you left us be to fan over them in this thread. Sorry if you were jk and I couldn't tell.

Ernyway, I just listened to T2L for the first time in a while, it's really a personal favorite of mine. I'll probably never rank it above anything other than Showbiz and maybe Hullaballoo just because of my preconceptions about how a Muse album OUGHT to sound (which are totally just IMO), but man do I get a kick out of most of it. The first four (five technically) tracks are easily among Muse's most classic output, Madness being one of the greatest pop songs of the decade, of the century, and perhaps even of this era of music (since the sixties essentially). Supremacy is what made me go for the album originally (that falsetto shriek just beckons to me) and it's as epic as ever (should've been an actual Bond theme). I still remember my local new rock station playing Panic Station every single time I tuned in for a whole summer, not that most anyone I talk to remembers it now, but what a funky, sick groove with a perfect amount of Musieness thrown in (also, the music video is possibly the most nonsensical hilarious thing I've ever seen, go check it out now if you haven't yet). And then we have Survival and it's Prelude. They are exactly everything they were meant to be, exactly everything you would want and expect from Muse for an Olympic theme song, exactly the kind of Queeny reckless campy abandon and Musey metallic insanity that originally turned me on to the band. I love it.

The rest of the album is where things start getting patchy, but when I remember not to worry so much about how it compares to a monster album like OoS or DRONES, or the sheer proggy and poppy bliss that is TR, and that T2L is essentially a crash course in the any different sides and directions of Muse's sound, it does its job pretty perfectly, with only minor complaints to be had. I was never much of a fan of Follow Me (too poppy) until I heard just the instrumental playing at the end of World War Z (yeah that kinda dumb zombie movie) and realized it really kicks but when you listen to the right parts. Animals didn't convince me of it's wonderousness until I saw the music video, which is super scary as far as I'm concerned and really helped me find the dark and greedy character of the song which is so awesome. Explorers initially struck me as a rip off of a rip off of a rip off (same progression from Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know" and Muse's "Invicible" and Muse's "Guiding Light" here), but it's actually very beautifully arranged, has very memorable if unimpressive piano arpeggios, and contains some of Muse's most beautiful vocals. Big Freeze I initially saw as the hidden gem or sleeper on the album, but later I realized that was Animals and that this was just a really good U2 rip off. Nevertheless, Big Freeze, IMO, does U2 better than U2 have done since the year 2000 at the latest, and since '87 if I'm really picky. Save Me is similarly beautiful to Explorers, but has a somewhat naive sense of song structure (it basically runs a bit too long without getting more interesting enough at the end), though Chris nailed the vocal, and I'm a sucker for whatever you call this style/sound (which is kind of used extensively throughout the album). Conversely, Chris' other song on here, Liquid State, runs too short. A great Muse rock out without the zaniness of a higher quality Muse rocker, zaniness which could've been achieved with a simple extended Matt Bellamy guitar solo, which also would've brought it to a satisfying length (the outro's also pretty weak). Unsustainable is never to be taken too seriously. Just imagine the giant toy robot on stage from their tour of this album and it all makes perfect (nonsensical) sense. Isolated System on the other hand is an entirely different beast. Words cannot describe the intense, electro-post-rock type beauty to be found in this track. Definitely fitting as the theme to WWZ (that movie I mentioned earlier) with its haunting electric piano intervals. My favorite part has to be the intense drum build up right at the end that almost doesn't make itself known until right when it feels like it should break into a dramatic groove, but instead just gives up along with the rest of the instrumentation, leaving the listener dazed and confused out in the dead silence and cold of outer space, looking at our destroyed planet below and wondering how everything went wrong. A great album, yes. A great Muse album? I might be inclined to debate you on that one, but certainly a great album.

• Like 1

I didn't say I hated them, I just think there is very little variety I have heard in them from song to song. They all seem to follow the same format, crunchy riff, pounding tribal drums, falsetto vocal tics, rumbling bass lines, etc.

Small sample size to be sure, but sometimes if a bands sound doesn't immediately grab you, or give you something indelible to latch on to its not going to connect. Obviously they are good musicians, but you could say that about a lot of bands.

No thanks.

No.

All those artists are better than Muse. Even Zappa, as I am sure I will click with him one day.

Muse are just a fun pop band that everyone in the UK treats as if they invented music!

No thanks.

No.

All those artists are better than Muse. Even Zappa, as I am sure I will click with him one day.

Muse are just a fun pop band that everyone in the UK treats as if they invented music!

There's about an 80% chance in America that the person I'm talking to won't recognize Muse by name and only knows Madness or Uprising...sometimes not even those.

I think The 2nd Law is my favourite Muse album.

I disliked them strongly until the moment I heard Madness. That song sold me to their sound, and I quite enjoy them now.

• Like 2

Muse Fell off for me after Black Holes and have been in the realm of suck ever since.

just getting worse too.

the first 4......awesome.

Mick

I agree. There are cool songs here and there since Black Holes, but the first four albums are stellar!

• Like 1