Favorite underrated U2 songs!

GrandDesigner

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not that big of a U2 fan (yet, at least - I'm slowly building a U2 library) but I'd like to give a nod to "A Sort of Homecoming" and "Wire" from The Unforgettable Fire as well as "Bullet the Blue Sky" from The Joshua Tree. These may be well-loved in the U2 community, so I don't know. All I know is I've never heard any of them on the rock stations here, which is (IMO) a shame.

Wire and Like A Song are two of my favorites from those two albums. They were only played briefly in the 80's by the band and then forgotten. Two classics definitely. Bullet The Blue Sky is a pretty big song for the band, I'd say that's among their more well known songs - still great though.

I'm not too sure what "Leave out your Ones, Streets, Bads, etc" means.

My favourite U2 songs would be Gloria and I Will Follow - not too sure if they are underrated or not. Certainly dont hear them on the radio much.

QUOTE (Xanadu Princess @ Feb 20 2010, 06:42 PM)
My favourite U2 songs would be Gloria and I Will Follow - not too sure if they are underrated or not.  Certainly dont hear them on the radio much.

I take that back, Gloria has just come on the radio right now biggrin.gif

For me it has to come from the WAR album and by far it has to be THIS song.....

. That's one awesome video and I was able to see the first show of the War Tour US.

Peace

QUOTE (Xanadu Princess @ Feb 20 2010, 12:42 PM)
I'm not too sure what "Leave out your Ones, Streets, Bads, etc" means.

My favourite U2 songs would be Gloria and I Will Follow - not too sure if they are underrated or not. Certainly dont hear them on the radio much.

It means don't say your favorite underrated U2 song is One, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, etc because they are so well known there's no way they can be underrated.

Good mention of Drowning Man. They were rehearsing that for the 360* tour, not sure if they're ever going to play it though.

One I forgot...Indian Summer Sky! This one and Wire are probably the most frantic songs they've ever done besides Like A Song and Electric Co.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 20 2010, 03:12 PM)
"Red Hill Mining Town" off Joshua Tree. Maybe Bono's best vocals ever.

His vocals are SO good on this one. Too good actually, that they had trouble getting it to sound right when rehearsing for the JT tour and it wound up never getting played live.

Let me just rant for a second since this is the most recent U2 thread: F*CK YOUR COUCH BONO. Really? Interpol opening a bunch of shows on your upcoming tour but The Fray doing Seattle? What kind of bullshit is that? Bono must really like Grey's Anatomy. I'm really unhappy right now. Interpol would be awesome to see.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 20 2010, 01:13 PM)
Let me just rant for a second since this is the most recent U2 thread: F*CK YOUR COUCH BONO. Really? Interpol opening a bunch of shows on your upcoming tour but The Fray doing Seattle? What kind of bullshit is that? Bono must really like Grey's Anatomy. I'm really unhappy right now. Interpol would be awesome to see.

And on the '09 tour, the rest of the world got Muse, Snow Patrol, Kaiser Chiefs...we got the Black Eyed Peas. They put on a great show, but still...we could have had frikkin' MUSE?

As for underrated U2 songs: In God's Country, the lesser-known songs from Achtung Baby, and the first halves of oft-maligned HTDAAB and ATYCLB.

Seconds,Like A Song from War.

A Sort Of Homecoming Wide Awake In America, like studio version also from Unforgettable Fire, but for me it really has more substance and emotional power on this live recording not as muddled and murky sounding as original Fire recording. Which I know this was deliberate like most of this album "atmospheric 'like portrayed by UF cover artwork.

Like studio cut also from Wide Awake, Love Comes Tumbling- Unforgettable Fire session?

Running To Stand Still, Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill- Joshua Tree

I really liked The Edge on Van Diemen's Land and also All I want is you from Rattle and Hum.

I get in the mood to listen to Zooropa once in awhile some good stuff on there, Stay(Faraway, So Close!) not really underrated use to be played rather frequent but not as much as Numb for some reason fing.gif

but I do have a guilty pleasure, Johnny Cash on The Wanderer. cool.gif

There probably others going back to Boy but it's been so long since I played any of that vintage U2 can't remember! old.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Feb 21 2010, 02:43 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 20 2010, 01:13 PM)

And on the '09 tour, the rest of the world got Muse, Snow Patrol, Kaiser Chiefs...we got the Black Eyed Peas. They put on a great show, but still...we could have had frikkin' MUSE?

As for underrated U2 songs: In God's Country, the lesser-known songs from Achtung Baby, and the first halves of oft-maligned HTDAAB and ATYCLB.

Wow! I feel like a sexually confused midget tonight!

I have great seats for MUSE in April and I have GA for U2 in June and I the moment I don't want to go to either show.

wacko.gif

Nothing touches "Party Girl" except my common001.gif .

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 21 2010, 01:40 AM)
The most underrated U2 song EVER is "PARTY GIRL" on "Under A Blood Red Sky."

I truly love that song, although when I heard the studio version I thought it totally SUCKED.

Signed,

"A boy called Trampoline"

Do you know what I mean?

1022.gif

Oh dude I agree 100%. I heard it for the first time on Under a Blood Red Sky and was blown away. Then about 5 years after that I heard it again on that "Best of" CD they put out and almost puked. The studio version is downright TERRIBLE. How could they be so different??

Archived