The strong possibility of no new album

rushgoober

QUOTE (Lady April @ Feb 2 2010, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 2 2010, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 2 2010, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 2 2010, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Feb 2 2010, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 2 2010, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Feb 2 2010, 05:49 PM)
My whole perception of Rush has been crushed...  unsure.gif

Mine too unsure.gif ....what will we do confused13.gif

Not listen to the critical losers on this board and just love Rush cause they are Rush tongue.gif

That would be too easy....besides every good forum needs pessimists, fretters and buzzkillers to offset the thruths trink39.gif

the truth is, if there isn't a major shakeup, i will be taking many pee breaks.

yours truly, the pessimist tongue.gif

I'll save your seat trink39.gif

what about mine unsure.gif

you wont need a seat sister wink.gif trink39.gif

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 2 2010, 11:05 PM)

Not listen to the critical losers on this board and just love Rush cause they are Rush tongue.gif

That would be too easy....besides every good forum needs pessimists, fretters and buzzkillers to offset the thruths trink39.gif

shoulders? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Feb 2 2010, 11:06 PM)

shoulders? unsure.gif

yes.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 2 2010, 11:08 PM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Feb 2 2010, 11:06 PM)

shoulders? unsure.gif

yes.gif 1287.gif

WOOHOO!!!!! 1022.gif 653.gif common001.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 2 2010, 06:54 PM)
How the Rush guys envision us

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/spacegoon/FatNerd.jpg

bottom right corner.... the only pussy in this guy's life!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 2 2010, 03:44 PM)
In a band like Rush, no one's going to pay us to make a record.

well guys... looks like it's up to us.. I'm sure I could scrape together a few bucks to start the pot..... lol

You know whats funny?...I bet you dont have these heated debates on the REO Speedwagon forum. laugh.gif It just goes to show how awesome Rush is, that they bring out this type of passion. Thats why i love them ! 1022.gif 2.gif

I think Rush should be applauded for trying to keep up with the times. Working to write and release a song on its own could be far more invigorating for the band and we could possibly end up with more songs than if they released one more album. If the process of making music that way is better (as other bands have said), Neil's going to want to keep writing/working. More songs, and all we have to do is burn to a disc at the end.

Plus, if they have no more obligation to the record label then they could be quids in. They could take the Radiohead model; sign a one album deal for a physical release, a download for however much the fan wants and a nice big boxset for the hardcore fan. Then go for another big tour to rake even more cash in. If Radiohead and NIN can survive doing it that way, I'm pretty sure Rush can.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 3 2010, 07:18 PM)
I think Rush should be applauded for trying to keep up with the times. Working to write and release a song on its own could be far more invigorating for the band and we could possibly end up with more songs than if they released one more album. If the process of making music that way is better (as other bands have said), Neil's going to want to keep writing/working. More songs, and all we have to do is burn to a disc at the end.

Plus, if they have no more obligation to the record label then they could be quids in. They could take the Radiohead model; sign a one album deal for a physical release, a download for however much the fan wants and a nice big boxset for the hardcore fan. Then go for another big tour to rake even more cash in. If Radiohead and NIN can survive doing it that way, I'm pretty sure Rush can.

I don't think heaps of people will disagree with your 2nd paragraph. It's just that many of the fans who've been around since before downloads and cd's (and it IS an extremely large percentage of their fan base) generally want a new album straight off the bat.

So yeah, I'm not denying any of your points whatsoever. I'm just saying what I think is happening in the minds of the most common Rush fan

Go on tour and break out a bunch of songs they have not done since the 70's. That is all i ask

Oh no...the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!!

Goobs you haven't even liked much of anything they have recorded since 1987, so why do you even care of they put out a new album? It must be that you don't like to go to shows because of all the pot smoking so a new album is the only way you get to hear some more Rush. (which you will complain about being no good and not living up to their old stuff)

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 2 2010, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 2 2010, 09:10 PM)
I find it hard to care anymore.  I would gladly just take a new tour with a very revamped set list.  If they don't record and keep sending out the same 27 song combo then they should just retire before they become an embarrassment in the vein of Def Leppard, Foreigner, Styx, etc etc.....

i totally agree, but would also like to hear a few new tunes released.

if i don't see a major overhaul in the setlist this time around, and only see 3-4 changes, than there's nothing to look forward to.

I am all for new tunes but I hope they are better the what the band has been writing recently. I haven't been impressed for the last 15 years so I find it hard to get excited over new music now. Maybe if they only record 3 or 4 songs they can come up with something quality.

All bands that don't break up eventually lose steam and fizzle out creatively. They had an excellent run!!

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 3 2010, 06:37 AM)
Goobs you haven't even liked much of anything they have recorded since 1987, so why do you even care of they put out a new album?  It must be that you don't like to go to shows because of all the pot smoking so a new album is the only way you get to hear some more Rush. (which you will complain about being no good and not living up to their old stuff)

Counterparts was a great album, and S&A was at least half of a great album. Armor and Sword was one of the best 10-15 songs they've ever done, and Far Cry and Workin' Them Angels were among the best 25-30 songs they've ever done IMHO.

Believe me, if S&A was anywhere close to the disastrous VT or the merely uninspiring T4E, I wouldn't care at all because I would have thought they lost it entirely. S&A shows they are still capable of doing great work, which makes it all the more tragic that they've recorded so little in recent years - three albums in 16 years. Had they been making an album every couple of years since the early 90's, surely some of it would have been great, and this wouldn't even be an issue. Now we might not be getting one at all.

What's so bad about wanting a new album from my favorite band? Some people are happy with whatever they decide to throw our way, and that's completely fine, but I'm not one of them. It would almost be easier if they just retired, otherwise it's just the constant tease of new material. This is the ONLY current group where I look forward to new material, so feelings run high here. Even still, it's not something I think about a lot in my day to day life as there hundreds of groups I listen to regularly, but it's a Rush board and this is how I'm feeling about Rush at the moment.

And yeah, excessive pot smoke ruins concerts for me, but even if I did travel around and see them every show within a 500 mile radius of me, I still would want a new album of original material. And I did see them on the S&A tour.

Rush Goober: "I guess I was naive then, but with the quality of their material from 1974-1987, they must have also cared about their art as well. Or were they only trying hard to make great material because that would make them the most money? "

Just what I was thinking! I have to believe with that attitude a little more effort was put into Moving Pictures or Signals than Test For Echo or S&A. Don't get me wrong, I like S&A but knowing an album is going to make you alot of money gives you more incentive to make it great than if you know no matter how good it is it's not going make you any more money. Throw something pretty good out there, pack up and go on the road and make a couple of million.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 2 2010, 04:44 PM)
Ok, instead of me bringing this up in several threads, I thought I'd put it here.

This is from Neil's recent interview:

... "I know that the mechanism that brought us up doesn't exist anymore," he says. "For instance, a perfect example of how reversed it is, in those days we made no money touring for a long time, even into the successful years. You counted on record sales and songwriting to make your living. And touring was a way to publicize that. Suddenly, in the last 10, 15 years all that turned around and our income is entirely from touring, and recording is an indulgence. In a band like Rush, no one's going to pay us to make a record. It's going to be an indulgence. Even Snakes & Arrows basically paid for itself and that's it, and if we want to make a living beyond that we have to go on the road and tour."...

So now making an album is an indulgence? It ONLY pays for itself? Basically, he's outright saying that they're not doing it because it makes no money, and he'd rather do touring which does make money.

Whatever happened to making new music because you're passionate about music, about being creative, about making something new, trying out new things, stretching your boundaries, etc.?

It's not like they're losing money from a new album, and they still have the tour to add to their already great wealth.

Am I the only one who thinks there's something seriously wrong with this picture? confused13.gif

I hope that it's not true about Rush not recording a new album but I do understand completetly where Neil's head is at.

There certainly has been a big change in the music industry if for nothing else

the simply advent of illegal music download sites and pirating videos and the like.

20 years ago if you wanted to hear or see a band on a dvd or cd you had to shell out the greenbacks and now as long as you have an internet connection ..well bobs your uncle.This does hurt record sales and to offset this bands like Rush NEED to tour to sell their product,thats their bread and butter.It's a complete 180 as to how it use to be...how unfortunate it is.So next time you are at a concert and bitch that the t shirts are 40 bucks think of it as buying 3 or 4 cd's instead.

QUOTE (MainMonkey @ Feb 3 2010, 07:49 AM)
Rush Goober: "I guess I was naive then, but with the quality of their material from 1974-1987, they must have also cared about their art as well. Or were they only trying hard to make great material because that would make them the most money? "

Just what I was thinking! I have to believe with that attitude a little more effort was put into Moving Pictures or Signals than Test For Echo or S&A. Don't get me wrong, I like S&A but knowing an album is going to make you alot of money gives you more incentive to make it great than if you know no matter how good it is it's not going make you any more money. Throw something pretty good out there, pack up and go on the road and make a couple of million.

Honestly, I do believe they give it their all for the most part when making an album, but sometimes I do wonder. Even Alex said about VT that "A lot of that stuff on there is first takes and demos." I think that's got to be the exception though, and can be attributed perhaps to them recording after so long and after such tragedy. Usually though, I like to think (or hope) that they give it their all. IMHO, you don't get a song like Armor & Sword from half-assing it. I think they really worked hard on S&A. Still, I have to wonder what on earth they were smoking while recording Face Up or Dog Years, and I have to think that giving the lyrics on Good News First another couple of editing passes wouldn't have been such a bad idea.

I think when they actually do decide to record, they try their best. Maybe they're just not as motivated as they were in the 70's and 80's? Obviously they have nothing left to prove, other than having integrity and pride and a legacy to try and live up to. Maybe trying to come up with 60 minutes instead of 40 is just too hard and so some of the quality inevitably suffers.

It's more their decision to not release an album, or release them very rarely, and instead opting to do tons of touring that shows me they seem more interested in money then putting out new material. If so, that's fine, it's their choice - it's just that this fan misses when they were a band that made new albums more than once every 5 years or so...

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 3 2010, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 3 2010, 07:18 PM)

I don't think heaps of people will disagree with your 2nd paragraph. It's just that many of the fans who've been around since before downloads and cd's (and it IS an extremely large percentage of their fan base) generally want a new album straight off the bat.

So yeah, I'm not denying any of your points whatsoever. I'm just saying what I think is happening in the minds of the most common Rush fan

I agree with you entirely. The infuriating part is the older fans don't seem to realise if we get 8 tracks as downloads, say, one a week, it's exactly the same as having an album except the fans don't have to wait months for the printing, pressing and advertising. We get the same amount music, just even quicker if they record, master, mix and release. If the touring schedule isn't as heavy we could new material in between legs if they did it that way.

I don't want to use the term 'Stuck in their ways', but it's ridiculous to dismiss a model that's advantageous to the band and the fans so quickly without it being tried.

I want a new Rush album in the way they've been doing it. And then take it on the road.

Does a band have to "stay with the times" if it's the worst of times?

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 3 2010, 08:21 AM)
The infuriating part is the older fans don't seem to realise if we get 8 tracks as downloads, say, one a week, it's exactly the same as having an album except the fans don't have to wait months for the printing, pressing and advertising. We get the same amount music, just even quicker if they record, master, mix and release. If the touring schedule isn't as heavy we could new material in between legs if they did it that way.

I don't want to use the term 'Stuck in their ways', but it's ridiculous to dismiss a model that's advantageous to the band and the fans so quickly without it being tried.

Being one of the "older fans" you're referring to ( wink.gif ), if they did it that way, it would be a LOT better than nothing at all for sure.

I am stuck in the old ways though when an album was an album, meaning it was a statement and a work of art as a whole, as opposed to just a collection of songs. In this world of MP3's, iTunes and shuffle, often the idea of an album as a cohesive work is lost.

For example, I recently lent 4 of my favorite Rush albums to a friend who then ripped them to his computer. I asked him later on what he thought of 2112 and Permanent Waves, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He likes a lot of the songs that he listens to when they came up on shuffle, but he had no context for the songs. If that's the way he chooses to listen, that's fine, but I think something is truly lost that can never be regained.

And in terms of waiting months for them to do "the printing, pressing and advertising," as opposed to getting the songs one at a time via download, I would much rather wait and get the whole package for the reasons I described above.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 3 2010, 10:02 AM)
QUOTE (MainMonkey @ Feb 3 2010, 07:49 AM)

Honestly, I do believe they give it their all for the most part when making an album, but sometimes I do wonder. Even Alex said about VT that "A lot of that stuff on there is first takes and demos." I think that's got to be the exception though, and can be attributed perhaps to them recording after so long and after such tragedy. Usually though, I like to think (or hope) that they give it their all. IMHO, you don't get a song like Armor & Sword from half-assing it. I think they really worked hard on S&A. Still, I have to wonder what on earth they were smoking while recording Face Up or Dog Years, and I have to think that giving the lyrics on Good News First another couple of editing passes wouldn't have been such a bad idea.

I think when they actually do decide to record, they try their best. Maybe they're just not as motivated as they were in the 70's and 80's? Obviously they have nothing left to prove, other than having integrity and pride and a legacy to try and live up to. Maybe trying to come up with 60 minutes instead of 40 is just too hard and so some of the quality inevitably suffers.

It's more their decision to not release an album, or release them very rarely, and instead opting to do tons of touring that shows me they seem more interested in money then putting out new material. If so, that's fine, it's their choice - it's just that this fan misses when they were a band that made new albums more than once every 5 years or so...

I agree about Armor and Sword. One of their best! I'm sounding a little harsh about them not giving 100% on an album. I just believe back in the days of Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, MP, etc they didn't live nearly as comfortably as they do now. Back then I believe they (not that they neglected their families) were wholy focused on the music they were producing and now there are alot more distractions with the money they have. I'm certainly not trying to say they don't deserve time off and vacations. It's just natural to not be totally focused when your thinking about golf, visiting wineries, and long bike trips. In a nut shell it's trying to reach the brass ring and once attaining it you let up a bit. Just my opinion.

Archived