The strong possibility of no new album

rushgoober

If they come to Summerfest again, I will be ecstatic. They've already released 3 times as many albums as most bands. Cut them a break, man. Seriously. Playing live is also a LOT more fun than recording in a studio from what I've experienced, so maybe they just want to have some fun after a very long career. 2.gif

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am all for the "Whole Package" but it really seems to me that is Not the way they are going . In that interview Neil said what i think we all knew . No one really bought V.T. and S&A and they did not make a dime . It cost a LOT of Money to make an album and the sales now just cover the cost of making the album . Where did the 1 or 2 million "Fans" go that bought all the older albums when they came out ? They know it's never going to happen agian and We know it's never going to happen agian . I am at the point now where i want some Great songs , E.P. or not . If they gave us a truly Great E.P. and a kick ass tour with a much different set-list than they have done and called it a day, trink39.gif too them . I am o.k. with that

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 3 2010, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 3 2010, 08:21 AM)
The infuriating part is the older fans don't seem to realise if we get 8 tracks as downloads, say, one a week, it's exactly the same as having an album except the fans don't have to wait months for the printing, pressing and advertising. We get the same amount music, just even quicker if they record, master, mix and release. If the touring schedule isn't as heavy we could new material in between legs if they did it that way.

I don't want to use the term 'Stuck in their ways', but it's ridiculous to dismiss a model that's advantageous to the band and the fans so quickly without it being tried.

Being one of the "older fans" you're referring to ( wink.gif ), if they did it that way, it would be a LOT better than nothing at all for sure.

I am stuck in the old ways though when an album was an album, meaning it was a statement and a work of art as a whole, as opposed to just a collection of songs. In this world of MP3's, iTunes and shuffle, often the idea of an album as a cohesive work is lost.

For example, I recently lent 4 of my favorite Rush albums to a friend who then ripped them to his computer. I asked him later on what he thought of 2112 and Permanent Waves, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He likes a lot of the songs that he listens to when they came up on shuffle, but he had no context for the songs. If that's the way he chooses to listen, that's fine, but I think something is truly lost that can never be regained.

And in terms of waiting months for them to do "the printing, pressing and advertising," as opposed to getting the songs one at a time via download, I would much rather wait and get the whole package for the reasons I described above.

I've had discussions about this with people my own age and of different ages. I'd have to say, if it isn't a concept album or the music doesn't link together I can go with seperate releases because the album as a format will die if it's just a collection of songs thrown onto a disc. For example, I don't think a Rush records structure has particularly mattered since Hold Your Fire. S&A certainly wasn't conceptual, and that bollocks about it being thematically linked is just that, bollocks. It could have been released as standalone tracks, as could Vapor Trails, Test For Echo, Counterparts and maybe Roll The Bones and Presto. To go back to your use of context, the aforementioned albums have got nothing on Fly By Night through to Hold Your Fire where you really did need to listen to the album as a whole. And this is the problem; bands are no longer seeing the album as a cohesive work of art but still sticking to the old model.

That being said, Rush could still release a song a week, and all those songs would make up an album. It would just be like watching a TV show. And throughout that they could announce tour details, tickets while still building up to the last few songs which would increase exposure, thus making the recording more than pay for itself, giving them mroe money to spend on the boxset with making-of dvd's which would inevitably come. Nevermind the possibilties of the itunes LP, and the other format I can't remember, which has interactive artwork, videos, extras etc etc.

My point is, if they're going to record to something that is a cohesive work, that is conceptually, thematically or musically linked then they should take their time with it. If it isn't, and the idea of giving us tracks every so often excites the band to the point the music is better (which it should be if they're devoting their time to one song as a standalone i.e. it has to carry itself) then give us the tracks as and when! We'll get 13 awesome songs and a great tour.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 3 2010, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 3 2010, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 3 2010, 08:21 AM)
The infuriating part is the older fans don't seem to realise if we get 8 tracks as downloads, say, one a week, it's exactly the same as having an album except the fans don't have to wait months for the printing, pressing and advertising. We get the same amount music, just even quicker if they record, master, mix and release. If the touring schedule isn't as heavy we could new material in between legs if they did it that way.

I don't want to use the term 'Stuck in their ways', but it's ridiculous to dismiss a model that's advantageous to the band and the fans so quickly without it being tried.

Being one of the "older fans" you're referring to ( wink.gif ), if they did it that way, it would be a LOT better than nothing at all for sure.

I am stuck in the old ways though when an album was an album, meaning it was a statement and a work of art as a whole, as opposed to just a collection of songs. In this world of MP3's, iTunes and shuffle, often the idea of an album as a cohesive work is lost.

For example, I recently lent 4 of my favorite Rush albums to a friend who then ripped them to his computer. I asked him later on what he thought of 2112 and Permanent Waves, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He likes a lot of the songs that he listens to when they came up on shuffle, but he had no context for the songs. If that's the way he chooses to listen, that's fine, but I think something is truly lost that can never be regained.

And in terms of waiting months for them to do "the printing, pressing and advertising," as opposed to getting the songs one at a time via download, I would much rather wait and get the whole package for the reasons I described above.

I've had discussions about this with people my own age and of different ages. I'd have to say, if it isn't a concept album or the music doesn't link together I can go with seperate releases because the album as a format will die if it's just a collection of songs thrown onto a disc. For example, I don't think a Rush records structure has particularly mattered since Hold Your Fire. S&A certainly wasn't conceptual, and that bollocks about it being thematically linked is just that, bollocks. It could have been released as standalone tracks, as could Vapor Trails, Test For Echo, Counterparts and maybe Roll The Bones and Presto. To go back to your use of context, the aforementioned albums have got nothing on Fly By Night through to Hold Your Fire where you really did need to listen to the album as a whole. And this is the problem; bands are no longer seeing the album as a cohesive work of art but still sticking to the old model.

That being said, Rush could still release a song a week, and all those songs would make up an album. It would just be like watching a TV show. And throughout that they could announce tour details, tickets while still building up to the last few songs which would increase exposure, thus making the recording more than pay for itself, giving them mroe money to spend on the boxset with making-of dvd's which would inevitably come. Nevermind the possibilties of the itunes LP, and the other format I can't remember, which has interactive artwork, videos, extras etc etc.

My point is, if they're going to record to something that is a cohesive work, that is conceptually, thematically or musically linked then they should take their time with it. If it isn't, and the idea of giving us tracks every so often excites the band to the point the music is better (which it should be if they're devoting their time to one song as a standalone i.e. it has to carry itself) then give us the tracks as and when! We'll get 13 awesome songs and a great tour.

Individual albums convey a mood, and even if the songs aren't linked thematically, it's still a statement of what an artist or group was thinking and expressing creatively during a window of time. Also, unless an artist just doesn't care at all, track sequencing is very important (even in a greatest hits collection) for flow and balance. Even the artwork helps convey a mood and context for the overall experience.

I hear what you're saying. S&A might not have the conceptual identity that say Signals or Hemispheres has, but it does have some. This is especially true for a writer like Neil Peart who really expresses his opinions and thoughts on life as they change over time.

S&A has its own identity without a doubt, and those listening to it for the first time in 2010 or 2020 or 2030 will not look at it merely as a collection of songs, but also as a unified whole. It's inevitable when you hold a product in your hands and listen to the songs in order the way the artist chose to release it. If you never hear it that way and only listen to the songs in random order one at a time on shuffle mixed in with other stuff, there is something that just won't be conveyed.

Sorry if this was already mentioned but...

Anyone considered the possibility that the first time we hear any new material will be at the actual concerts? Then maybe have a studio version or even that very live show available for sale after the shows? Could be interesting yes.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 3 2010, 06:24 AM)
Go on tour and break out a bunch of songs they have not done since the 70's. That is all i ask

goodpost.gif

IMHO any tour we get at this point is just gravy.

Play an entirely different set list on a new tour before they retire.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 3 2010, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 2 2010, 06:45 PM)
There are other ways to release music besides on an album.

I download all my music at this point, so I'm completely okay with what it sounds like they're doing.

i haven't bought a cd in years.

Thats all i do, i never download laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 3 2010, 10:04 AM)

I download all my music at this point, so I'm completely okay with what it sounds like they're doing.

Same here, but i guess we're the dinasours! biggrin.gif trink39.gif

Listening to compressed files on a computer through computer speakers is a huge sacrifice of convenience over quality that I'm not willing to make. Nothing beats a CD played on audiophile stereo equipment. no.gif

Music snobs unite! 1287.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 3 2010, 12:04 PM)

+1 trink39.gif

A big well done to all. This has been a cracking thread to read through in terms of different opinions and decently constructed arguments.

I do hark back to the days when an 'album' (am I giving my age away) and I don't just mean a rush album contained maybe 8 pieces of work that were pretty much all excellent.

I hanker for another album, CD if you will, as we don't get a lot of concert opportunities over here in the PRS (People's Republic of Scotland) and, like a lot of folks on here, I'm starting to accept the fact that a journey that has lasted for, in my case, just a shake over 30 years, is rapidly nearing an end.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 2 2010, 04:44 PM)

So now making an album is an indulgence? It ONLY pays for itself? Basically, he's outright saying that they're not doing it because it makes no money, and he'd rather do touring which does make money.

I think we all know better that Neil would rather NOT tour.

He's just stating the facts as he perceives them, which I think is entirely accurate. To do better then just trying to break even with new release, Rush has to tour.

Of course it's indulgence to make new music, it's what they enjoy doing.

I don't think Rush has ever thought during the creative process, "Let's make a hit record." And thank God for that, they have never whored there high standards for the pursuit of mass appeal like many others have.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 3 2010, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 3 2010, 10:04 AM)

Same here, but i guess we're the dinasours! biggrin.gif trink39.gif

Listening to compressed files on a computer through computer speakers is a huge sacrifice of convenience over quality that I'm not willing to make. Nothing beats a CD played on audiophile stereo equipment. no.gif

Music snobs unite! 1287.gif tongue.gif

I agree. I have most of my collection loaded onto my ipod, but when I pop in a cd, I notice how much better the cd's sound.

My 2 cents on this whole new idea to not do an album or whatever it is that they do, is I think at the end of the day we get at least an EP. I think the band is smart enough to know thier long term fans expect something like this, and will out of respect bang out at least an EP for the hardcores.

I think Rush should do a full cd, tour, and then officially retire. They can then go do whatever they want to such as release one or two songs here and there and do some whatever shows. I think these guys would have people lining up asking to work with them on projects. Post retirement could be a windfall of extra projects for all members.

I would rather see them go out full swing versus the endless never knowing when to go away tours that some others are doing. I just think it is gross sometimes to watch some of these aging rock stars trying to play a young man's game. It works for some, but personally I think most need to hang it up and let us have our memories and a really good catalogue of music.

I love Rush (they are and always will be my favorite all time band), but they are getting old and don't really need to work anymore. The type of music Rush plays does not lend itself very well visually for 60 or 70 year old dude up there trying to play it. It may work for Willie Nelson, but I don't think it will work well for Rush.

For the right now, I hope for a cd, tour, and maybe one special show on Feb. 1 2012 (2112) Play it in it's entirety for a DVD. And then lets see what happens.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 3 2010, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 3 2010, 11:36 AM)
  Of course it's indulgence to make new music, it's what they enjoy doing.

Haven't they earned the right, and enough money, to "indulge" if that's what they enjoy doing?

Like others have said, believe you misinterpreted Neil's words.

Didn't say there going to stop making music and just tour.

The reality is for a long time now, sales have been down with every new release. Rush is aware of that, touring is needed to do better then break even and try to make a profit. Where as in the past record sales was the main way to make a profit not touring.

Hard for some to realize or except but Rush first and foremost make new music to satisfy there own artistic desires.

With respect and appreciation for the legions of loyal fans who make it all possible. Yeah I think they will continue to" indulge" in some form or another putting out fresh product and hit the road to try to make some money off it.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 3 2010, 10:57 AM)
Where did the 1  or 2 million "Fans" go that bought all the older albums when they came out ?  They know it's never going to happen agian and We know it's never going to happen agian .

Those fans, or at least alot of them, are illegally downloading the albums. Thanks to Napster for starting all of this.

Wow, I think every one of us has been Naive.

Look,

When you have no career and no money and the critics are destroying you, the ONLY thing you have, is too make great music.

Its your only hope.

You have to make great music and have passion to kick the doors in.

Which ever door to success you kick in, passion for your art has to be there.

Otherwise NO ONE will believe you or in you.

You cannot create a "CULT" like persona without being believable.

Once you get to that point where your comfortable and DON'T have to work as hard, you won't.

Money is everything folks. The boys have not since the mid 80's and will not be playing for the passion of it.

Why do you think they release re-hash after re-hash of songs already popular?

Who needs a "Best of" album if your a Rush fan?

No one.

Its a tried and true way of getting more cash with minimal effort.

Neil Peart is more and more reminding me of John Mayer.

I'm serious.

Both Gods on their respective instruments, but both also so full of it.

The guys some of us fell in love with back in the day are gone, and there not coming back....ever.

They are not going to DO a damn thing, if the money isn't there.

Not for passion, not for US, or for them.

Rush is a business now. Its been that way for a long long time.

We just haven't wanted to believe it.

Not me anyway. But, reality sets in and I get older and more wise.

I see it now.

I'm a little peeved off at MYSELF, that I didn't see it alot sooner.

Rush is no longer the secret we all held dear, because there were "different".

We are walking dollars, they are the carrot.

Simple as that.

HW

QUOTE (MainMonkey @ Feb 3 2010, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 3 2010, 10:57 AM)
Where did the 1  or 2 million "Fans" go that bought all the older albums when they came out ?  They know it's never going to happen agian and We know it's never going to happen agian .

Those fans, or at least alot of them, are illegally downloading the albums. Thanks to Napster for starting all of this.

True . Also, You would be surprised by how many people i know that stopped getting Rush albums years ago because they don't the music . 3 of my very best friends that i have known for about 30 years each stopped after Power Windows and stopped going to the shows altogether confused13.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Feb 3 2010, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 3 2010, 06:24 AM)
Go on tour and break out a bunch of songs they have not done since the 70's. That is all i ask

goodpost.gif

IMHO any tour we get at this point is just gravy.

Play an entirely different set list on a new tour before they retire.

+1

Hi Cindy! bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (High Water @ Feb 3 2010, 03:03 PM)

Look,

When you have no career and no money and the critics are destroying you, the ONLY thing you have, is too make great music.
Its your only hope.

Once you get to that point where your comfortable and DON'T have to work as hard, you won't.

Money is everything folks. The boys have not since the mid 80's and will not be playing for the passion of it.

No one.

I'm serious.

The guys some of us fell in love with back in the day are gone, and there not coming back....ever.

I see it now.

Simple as that.

HW

confused13.gif

Sorry man...can't say I agree with you really.

Your whole argument about the "passion not being there" really doesn't fly with me. I think the boys have always been passionate when writing their albums.

I know people always jump on the boys for RTB, Dog Years, and such, but I believe that, at the time anyways, the boys seriously believed in what they were writing and releasing.

Like S&A...I know there are people here who hate it, and people like me who love it, but the fact is, the boys kept stating how much they loved the album and how much they believed in it. I believe them too. You don't just play 9 songs from one album on a tour without being passionate about them. Hell, they only played 4 songs from VT.

Obviously, money is part of what they're in for. No-one will dispute that, but you making Rush out to be a band that doesn't believe in what they're doing, that's wrong. If they wanted to write nothing but s**t just to make money, then they wouldn't need 2 years to do it.

Again, will we always love everything they write, no. But can we appreciate that they put their hearts into what they do...damn right. trink38.gif

QUOTE (High Water @ Feb 3 2010, 01:03 PM)

Look,

Its your only hope.

No one.

I'm serious.

I see it now.

Simple as that.

HW

While I don't agree with you entirely for sure, I think you have some valid and interesting points.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 3 2010, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (High Water @ Feb 3 2010, 01:03 PM)

Look,

When you have no career and no money and the critics are destroying you, the ONLY thing you have,  is too make great music.
Its your only hope.

No one.

I'm serious.

I see it now.

Simple as that.

HW

While I don't agree with you entirely for sure, I think you have some valid and interesting points.

+1

you could have said the same thing even as early as the 70's.....in fact read some old interviews and you will hear Rush talking about Capitalism.

Not that they did not belive in the stuff...or love the stuff....but honestly anyone who thinks they did not want to be successful is kidding themselves a bit.

Archived