The strong possibility of no new album

rushgoober

QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 4 2010, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 4 2010, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 4 2010, 08:51 PM)
I think comparing Rush to Metallica is silly. Death Magnetic is a great album, progressive in many ways, light years beyond S&A or VT in every way, so much energy in it, but I think you have to look at it this way, isnt DM Metallica's 9th album or something? Rush is up over 20.

Metallica hasnt made nearly as much music so I would assume they've got some more in the tank. It sold 500k copies in 4 days in just 1 country, thats more than a Rush album will sell in its lifetime around the world. Total I think it has almost 10 million copies, 1 Metallica album selling a third of Rush's entire catalog.

Whats the reason for this? The music is much more modern and relevant. Well how were they able to do that? They went back to what made them great. Rush is unwilling to do that, so they paid the price for that. I think had they gotten back to heavier music, more adventurous writing, well things may have been much different.

All I know is people are complaining about the album sales, and Neil is himself in a way, and we get songs like this? Noone outside of fans that would love a Rush country album if they ever made one could like this crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QicJ_zQjeWs

Compare that to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XPnKWJNs_g

I like "The Larger Bowl". It's a fun song and certainly not crap. With that said, I would've edited if off of Snakes & Arrows.

And Metallica was always bigger than Rush. They helped spearhead an entire genre of popular music. Rush never did that.

Oh yeah, I like Rush more.

Oh I like Rush more too, but Im not about to sit here and think at this point in their careers they are as good as Metallica is now. That's ridiculous. I listened to DM for like 4 months straight. I listened to S&A for 2 weeks.

It's just a matter of opinion and taste in music. I will take 2.gif over Metallica any day of the week. 1022.gif biggrin.gif

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 4 2010, 07:57 PM)
I think comparing Rush to Metallica is silly. Death Magnetic is a great album, progressive in many ways, light years beyond S&A or VT in every way, so much energy in it, but I think you have to look at it this way, isnt DM Metallica's 9th album or something? Rush is up over 20.

Metallica hasnt made nearly as much music so I would assume they've got some more in the tank. It sold 500k copies in 4 days in just 1 country, thats more than a Rush album will sell in its lifetime around the world. Total I think it has almost 10 million copies, 1 Metallica album selling a third of Rush's entire catalog.

Whats the reason for this? The music is much more modern and relevant. Well how were they able to do that? They went back to what made them great. Rush is unwilling to do that, so they paid the price for that. I think had they gotten back to heavier music, more adventurous writing, well things may have been much different.

All I know is people are complaining about the album sales, and Neil is himself in a way, and we get songs like this? Noone outside of fans that would love a Rush country album if they ever made one could like this crap.

Compare that to this.

I like "The Larger Bowl". It's a fun song and certainly not crap. With that said, I would've edited if off of Snakes & Arrows.

And Metallica was always bigger than Rush. They helped spearhead an entire genre of popular music. Rush never did that.

Oh I like Rush more too, but Im not about to sit here and think at this point in their careers they are as good as Metallica is now. That's ridiculous. I listened to DM for like 4 months straight. I listened to S&A for 2 weeks.

Metallica came back with a vengance and put a solid album on all levels out........those days for Rush are far over.......

All I know is people are complaining about the album sales, and Neil is himself in a way, and we get songs like this?

Noone outside of fans that would love a Rush country album if they ever made one could like this crap. Compare that to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwl8lJJKdUE&feature=related

I much prefer The Larger Bowl....different strokes for different folk i guess confused13.gif ........i too listened to DM for2 weeks and S@A for 4 months.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Feb 4 2010, 09:16 PM)

Compare that to this.

Metallica came back with a vengance and put a solid album on all levels out........those days for Rush are far over.......

I feel Death Magnetic is a band trying way to hard to capture their glory days. Rehashed riffs and solos.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 4 2010, 05:23 PM)
i agree it's all a matter of taste.  i have a buddy that loves that new metallica cd.  i borrowed it from him when it first came out and gave it back the next day and glad i didn't buy it.  to each his own i guess.

goodpost.gif we all have our own ears! tongue.gif

This is sad. Just over analyze EVERYTHING over and over and over. They've been compared to everyone from Donnie and Marie to Yes. WTF? They are chastised for (God forbid) having musical influences! There can't be too many bands out there that aren't influenced by other band(s), yet people can't seem to grasp that Rush do too. Their concerts are dissected and picked apart. Hell, it's no wonder a new LP (or whatever) is so up in the air, they've probably peeked in here and read someof these comments.

wtf.gif

QUOTE (youngoldman @ Feb 4 2010, 09:33 PM)
This is sad. Just over analyze EVERYTHING over and over and over. They've been compared to everyone from Donnie and Marie to Yes. WTF? They are chastised for (God forbid) having musical influences! There can't be too many bands out there that aren't influenced by other band(s), yet people can't seem to grasp that Rush do too. Their concerts are dissected and picked apart. Hell, it's no wonder a new LP (or whatever) is so up in the air, they've probably peeked in here and read someof these comments.

wtf.gif

Welcome aboard! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 4 2010, 09:25 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Feb 4 2010, 09:16 PM)

Compare that to this.

I feel Death Magnetic is a band trying way to hard to capture their glory days. Rehashed riffs and solos.

If you dont have the artitic balls to move forward then there's only one way to move. trink39.gif

This is sad. Just over analyze EVERYTHING over and over and over. They've been compared to everyone from Donnie and Marie to Yes. WTF? They are chastised for (God forbid) having musical influences!  There can't be too many bands out there that aren't influenced by other band(s), yet people can't seem to grasp that Rush do too. Their concerts are dissected and picked apart. Hell, it's no wonder a new LP (or whatever) is so up in the air, they've probably peeked in here and read someof these comments.

wtf.gif

you aint seen nothin yet. wait until the tour is officially announced and the setlist talk heats up. that's when it really gets goin'. laugh.gif

i can see it now. i can't believe they're playing that again, or why on earth are they playing that song, or i'm glad they are playing that song. it will give me a chance to go to the bathroom.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 4 2010, 09:42 PM)
This is sad. Just over analyze EVERYTHING over and over and over. They've been compared to everyone from Donnie and Marie to Yes. WTF? They are chastised for (God forbid) having musical influences!  There can't be too many bands out there that aren't influenced by other band(s), yet people can't seem to grasp that Rush do too. Their concerts are dissected and picked apart. Hell, it's no wonder a new LP (or whatever) is so up in the air, they've probably peeked in here and read someof these comments.

wtf.gif

you aint seen nothin yet. wait until the the tour is officially announced and the setlist talk heats up. that's when it really gets goin'. laugh.gif

i can see it now. i can't believe they're playing that again, or why on earth are they playing that song, or i'm glad they are playing that song. it will give me a chance to go to the bathroom.

yes.gif This is so true!

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 4 2010, 05:42 PM)

wtf.gif

you aint seen nothin yet. wait until the the tour is officially announced and the setlist talk heats up. that's when it really gets goin'. laugh.gif

This is why it was nice growing up with the band. I could give a rat's ass what they play as long as they tour!! old.gif biggrin.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 4 2010, 08:21 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 4 2010, 03:27 AM)
I think it is Neil who does not want to record and does not want to tour. I have the feeling that Alex and Geddy are always raring to go and have to drag Neil to writing sessions, rehearsals, recording sessions to the tour bus and ultimately to the stage.

If this is all too much of a burden to Neil, he needs to leave and let Alex and Geddy get on with things. Enough is enough. There are other drummers out there who they could play with. It won't be Rush but it will be great. Guaranteed!  common001.gif

What, exactly, has Neil said or done that makes people think this? It gets old, everything being blamed on Neil, from the hiatus between albums to what gets played on tour.

Read any of Neil's books, especially Roadshow.

It is clear that the man cannot stand touring and performing anymore. As far as recording, well I would guess he would rather be out on his motorcycle than writing and recording with Alex & Geddy.

QUOTE (Pagon @ Feb 4 2010, 08:29 PM)
every post is so pathetic. second guessing the what if factor. some of them are good reads though. the WHAT IF'S are fun.... no... lame. you just have to go with the flow. it's the internet. you can say anything and the f$#%ed up part is that people actually respond with feeling. it all means nothing. posts get buried and forgotten forever. it's mindless chatter. but fun non the less. sure i'm guilty. sue me. if someone tried that would make my day.

This from a guy who can't spell Pagan correctly. atickhum.gif

Pagon rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 4 2010, 11:01 PM)
I think it is Neil who does not want to record and does not want to tour. I have the feeling that Alex and Geddy are always raring to go and have to drag Neil to writing sessions, rehearsals, recording sessions to the tour bus and ultimately to the stage.

If this is all too much of a burden to Neil, he needs to leave and let Alex and Geddy get on with things. Enough is enough. There are other drummers out there who they could play with. It won't be Rush but it will be great. Guaranteed!  common001.gif

What, exactly, has Neil said or done that makes people think this? It gets old, everything being blamed on Neil, from the hiatus between albums to what gets played on tour.

It is clear that the man cannot stand touring and performing anymore. As far as recording, well I would guess he would rather be out on his motorcycle than writing and recording with Alex & Geddy.

Actually his most recent blogs tell a different story. He said he feels renewed and refreshed and excited for the future.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 4 2010, 06:01 PM)

I can't even imagine them without Neil. But if that ever happens, I would hope Geddy and Alex would go under a new name. I don't think I could even stomach that! tongue.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 4 2010, 06:13 PM)

Actually his most recent blogs tell a different story. He said he feels renewed and refreshed and excited for the future.

Who wouldn't, after months of changing diapers! laugh.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 4 2010, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (Pagon @ Feb 4 2010, 08:29 PM)
every post is so pathetic. second guessing the what if factor. some of them are good reads though. the WHAT IF'S are fun.... no... lame. you just have to go with the flow. it's the internet. you can say anything and the f$#%ed up part is that people actually respond with feeling. it all means nothing. posts get buried and forgotten forever. it's mindless chatter. but fun non the less. sure i'm guilty. sue me. if someone tried that would make my day.

This from a guy who can't spell Pagan correctly. atickhum.gif

Pagon rofl3.gif

Apparently his post isn't getting buried and forgotten rofl3.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 4 2010, 10:13 PM)

He always feels that way until about after the 7th show. rofl3.gif

Then he is ready to go home.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 4 2010, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 4 2010, 10:13 PM)

He always feels that way until about after the 7th show. rofl3.gif

Then he is ready to go home.

Did you even read the rest of my post, or just quote the part that suited your needs?

And I have read his books. No, the man does not like touring for the most part. (And sometimes I get the feeling that Alex is the only one who DOES enjoy it). Never once has anyone affiliated with the band given the impression that everything Rush does or does not do is decided by Neil's whims.

Were that the case, they'd probably have started arguing and fighting and getting resentful as hell and broken up some time ago.

Well, I just feel that Neil's relationship with Alex and Geddy is still kind of fragile after all he went through and now considering his new child. I think know they have to handle him with kid gloves indeed.

Fragile not in terms of friendship, but in terms of them knowing how close he was to quitting and how much it took for him to come back and rebuild his life and return to music. I am certain that they do not want to put any pressure on him to do anything he may not want to do such as record an album and tour. I know it is a 3 way democracy and always has been. But I do think that Alex and Geddy must feel they have to give Neil some leeway.

QUOTE (High Water @ Feb 4 2010, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 4 2010, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Feb 4 2010, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 2 2010, 04:44 PM)
It ONLY pays for itself?

I don't buy it. Plenty of bands make money making records. Perhaps if they made a good one that sold to more than just the diehards. Also get in the studio and get out. None of this year and a half in the studio absurdity. Can you imagine the cost of that? Their best songs are almost routinely the "afterthoughts". They wrote 2 good songs on their last album, both afterthoughts. That's why they don't make money making albums. There aren't any good songs on them.

I love Rush btw. Still, always will.

Sure, plenty of bands make money on albums, like Eminem, Metallica, maybe an older band like the Rolling Stones or U2, artists quite a bit more popular than Rush is.

These guys have their own way of writing songs, and it was hot in the 70s and 80s, and that was a long time ago. They are a band now that's fading away. Its so silly to me to suggest that they just find some way to write a better album, they're trying, they just dont have it in them to put out something that sounds very fresh.

S&A, although many existing fans may like it, from an outside perspective its very safe, boring and tired, but guess what, Rush likes it, they enjoyed making it, sold out many shows, so I think thats good enough for them. They accomplished more than they ever thought they could, they're just passing the time now until its over.

At least they know they cant sell many albums, so they're adjusting to that by maybe just putting out an EP, then tour on that. Its better than nothing.

Rush in my humble opinion has never (on a mass scale) garnered any new fans producing the "new" stuff.

I have yet to meet any fan of Rush at a concert that was hooked by Presto, CP, VT, S&A..etc...

Nope. Not one.

Why do they come to a concert? Because they know Rush will play Moving Pics Stuff, 2112, PW, HYF, PW.....

Rush's success on tour is because of one thing, and one thing only.

The chance to hear the masters play those masterful songs of old.

Don't believe it? Check out the concession stands and washrooms when there playing the "new stuff".

No One, I mean No One dares to move while Natural Science has begun....

For me its simple numbers.

Make your Fan base happy and you'll make a killing cause we will buy everything. We're older now, we have money.

Give us what we want, we WILL respond with the dollars.

Give us another S&A and your shit outta luck.

HW

Don't use "us." Each of us speaks for ourselves.

I saw 4 shows on the last tour specifically to see the Snakes and Arrows music live. Have been a fan since Farewall and have seen the band several dozen times. I don't need to hear the hold stuff live ... I've already heard the old stuff live.

Give "me" another S & A and I will by the CD, Live Album and Video AND pay to see the supporting concert 4 or 5 times.

All I know is people are complaining about the album sales, and Neil is himself in a way, and we get songs like this?

Noone outside of fans that would love a Rush country album if they ever made one could like this crap. Compare that to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwl8lJJKdUE&feature=related

Defintely not a fan of atonal staccato crap like this Metallica rubbish. Know what you get when you play a Metallica song backwards ... another Metallica song. Just garbage. I like a little more depth, thank you.

Archived