I need to diversify!

sullysue

QUOTE (Disco @ Dec 12 2009, 04:32 PM)
Great idea for a thread, and who here doesn't get a little genre bound from time to time?

My submission for your consideration, is the artist I've enjoyed most over the last couple of years, Trentemoller.

In short, it's melancholy electronica.

The longer version is this. As you know there was a great movement in dance music a few years ago called Trance.

It was the music of euphoria. It wasn't subtle though. Every four measures another uplifting sound would come in as the music romped along from one peak time euphoric moment to another. Don't know what to do next? Throw in a rave horn!!!

As fun as it was, there needed to be a reaction to it, hence the minimal house we have now. It strips the music back down to its core. The trouble is most of it is devoid of emotion and just boring thuds of bass drums.

In my view, the art of minimalism is to create the biggest emotion with the fewest elements. To create expressive music without excess. This is what Trentemoller does.

The sound also moves away from the smooth crisp sounds traditionally associated with dance and brings in a breathy distortion.

Here's a typical track (keep with it, it's a builder)
Yu tube link to Take Me Into Your Skin

My wife and I enjoyed his concerts in our courting days and his tracks were played at our wedding.

If you find yourself enjoying the melancholy electronica vibe, then there is also the awesome Burial. He's a big critical hit in the UK and has helped to redefine electronica with his vapourous depiction of urban melancholy.

I wasn't allowed this track at my wedding, but very much wanted it played over dinner:

Burial - In McDonalds

I'll enjoy other dipping into everyone's suggestions.

Love to all

Disco

You are awash with cool.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Riverside:

Great newer Band from Warsaw Poland very progressive and heavy, stylistically like a combination of Porcupine Tree and Tool... very good.

- Blackfield: "Cloudy Now"

I know you love PT, but I do not know how much of Steven Wilson's side projects you have researched.....Blackfield is a different monster from PT, him and Israeli artist Aviv Geffen make a great combo with the two albums they have.

- Beardfish:

This band needs to get heard as much as possible, they were supposed to be on ProgNation 09 but due to financial reasons had to back out.....I was pissed. Very quirky prog band from Sweden.. they are very much their own band stylistically and range from heavy stuff, to retro prog and heavy classic rock itself... lyrically they have the Frank Zappa feel..lyrics are often humerous and never that serious... one of the few prog bands with light, and funny lyrics.

- Bigelf:

Mentioned already, but great retroprog/heavy rock/ and a bit of glam as well makes this band a treat... thanks to Mike Portnoy for opening the door to this band..

- Dream Theater........you have probably had enough exposure to this band and have made your mind up here.

- The Flower Kings:

Another great unique band...been around since 94.... hard to compare to anyone else...Bassist/Singer Ronie Stolt has been around the prog scene from 30 years......TFK is his greatest project.....just amazing

- Frost* Hyperventilate

A two album old prog Supergroup....... from several groups like Kino, Arena, and IQ taking styles from all those bands great allaround prog group

- Arena The Visitor

A very genesis and tull esk new prog band........very musical.....and ambient at times.....but very much worth a listen

- The Tangent

One of my favorite newer prog bands........very King Crimson (circa Greg Lake and Ian McDonald era) I seriously reccomend this band....just amazing

Ill come back with a few more reccomendations later.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 12 2009, 09:00 AM)
Wilco
The Sword
Witchcraft
The Gathering
Big Elf
Torche
Baroness

The Sword, yes. Although I wonder what you'd think of the vocals. Tons of talent in those fingers, though. ...I'm just catching on to Big Elf. I'm beginning to think I'm gonna be into these guys and more thouroughly studying them.

I know they're old, but check out Focus, maybe Focus 3 or Hamburger Concerto. Moving Waves is fine, but if you want to ignore Hocus Pocus I understand (though I like it.)

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 13 2009, 10:23 PM)
Wow! Thanks for the suggestions, you guys.

I think I'll start with Radiohead. I don't know why I haven't tried them out yet. Also, Transatlantic. I've heard some really great things about their new release.

If your going to try Radiohead then try Muse also - Muse' new album has some very good queen influences -

These aren't particularly recent, but i've been digging them lately:

Pat Metheny Group- The Way Up [2005]

Pat Metheny himself is kind of...well...old, but he's still got it in him. This 68-minute fusion composition is one of the most amazing contemporary compositions ever, blending elements from all sorts of styles from classical to jazz to rock. Definitely worth checking out, and I'd even say it's a good gateway album for a prog fan to get into jazz.

Monsters of Folk- Monsters of Folk [2009]

Not really all that folky...but nonetheless these guys are monsters. One of my favorite releases of the year, great alternative/indie stuff.

Ben Folds Five- Whatever and Ever Amen [1998]

Ben Folds has a unique style, fusing piano-driven rock/pop with jazz and punk stylings. This is by far the group's most enjoyable album. Definitely worth checking out.

Switchfoot- Nothing Is Sound [2005]

In my opinion, Switchfoot's best album. These guys have great musicality and great lyrics. One of the better "newer" bands out there. They released a new album this year as well, "Hello Hurricane".

The National Lights- The Dead Will Walk, Dear [2007]

a short but sweet acoustic-based, folk-y album with a bit of a more modern touch to the sound. I enjoy the album, it's a good album to relax to, and I bet it will go amazing with warm weather whenever that finally comes around again.

Artur Rubinstein- The Chopin Collection [1991]

Okay, maybe getting the whole box would be a bit excessive, but Chopin is one of the most amazing classical piano composers, and if you can find a recording of Rubinstein playing any collection of his work, you will be blown away by how lyrically and smoothly he handles the music. Not sure how much of a classical enthusiast you are, but if you're not this wouldn't be a terrible place to start.

Shpongle- Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost [2005]

Really trippy instrumental music. Lots of synthy, arpeggiated, drugged-out stuff going on here. Sounds great sober, probably sounds even better stoned. I don't personally know unsure.gif

Metric- Grow Up and Blow Away [2007]

I think enough has been said about Metric in this thread so far.

Pat Metheny Group- Pat Metheny Group [1978]

I hesitate to recommend two albums from the same artist, but the stylings have distinct differences, PMG being a more track-oriented album with some classic compositions on it. This album is definitely worth hearing, I have always said that Pat and Lyle Mays, his keyboardist, are like the Lennon and McCartney of the jazz/fusion world. Brilliant, beautiful harmonies, melodies, everything.

I think I'll start with Radiohead. I don't know why I haven't tried them out yet. Also, Transatlantic. I've heard some really great things about their new release.

didn't care for Fair to Midland?

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Dec 12 2009, 06:11 PM)
I say start all over and go way back to the Cure - The Disintegration Album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXUl6QU07VM&feature=related
http://www.amazon.com/Disintegration-Cure/...60656034&sr=8-1 biggrin.gif

If he's good enough to play with Bowie - really good at 5:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krhzq6C1EBw&feature=related

Disintegration? I would think Faith would be a much better choice, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXwjr3e3Yao

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 14 2009, 05:06 PM)
Ill come back with a few more reccomendations later.

Excellent, I could use some fresh sounds as well. Will be giving all these a sample. Look forward to more down the line. Thanks!! How I love TRF for this kinda thing!! smile.gif trink38.gif Now it's just finding the time biggrin.gif

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Dec 14 2009, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Dec 12 2009, 06:11 PM)
I say start all over and go way back to the Cure - The Disintegration Album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXUl6QU07VM&feature=related
http://www.amazon.com/Disintegration-Cure/...60656034&sr=8-1 biggrin.gif

If he's good enough to play with Bowie -  really good at 5:50  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krhzq6C1EBw&feature=related

Disintegration? I would think Faith would be a much better choice, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXwjr3e3Yao

Well, having read Alphaseeker's post i thought 'Yea, let's all become Cure fans!!!' and downloaded 'Disintegration' which I listened to cycling to work.

A bit of background. when I was about 18 I went out with a super cool Dutch girl. While I was rocking out with Rush and Iron Maiden, she was listening to bands like Joy Division, Nick Cave, early Sinead O'Connor and The Cure. I dismissed it all as piffle compared to the great rock I was listening to. Oh, how wrong I was.

I remember listening to the opening track of the Kiss Me album. It blew me away. I was used to the precise guitar lines of of the mighty Maiden. Here was wet fat loose vibe-orientated guitar. A hint of a sleazier more intoxicated life. I promptly ignored it.

So, today I had a chance to make up for the errors of my youth by listening to Disintegration.

Can't say I enjoyed it too much. A problem might be that the whole sound world is something I associate with my late teenage years, and now part of me thinks you need to be a late teenager to enjoy it. Emotionally is it just a little too self absorbed like a teenager?

Another part of me just thinks it all sounds the same. The guitar sound, the picked multi-measure riffs, the long drony synths. All great, but just used too much.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement to try something new...

Love to all

Disco

S

Sallysue

Link to The Times Top 100 albums of 00s

Here's a link to The UK Times list of the top 100 albums of the decade. Radiohead have two of the top three. For my money, The Times have an exceptionally talented set of music reviewers.

They have chosen the best two of Radiohead's more electronic orientated work.

I listened to a 2 hours playlist of Radiohead at work today. Based on my predilictions, it very much favours the electronic stuff, with a few of the big hitting rock songs at the end.

Oh. My. God. Those rock tracks!! I find most rock music a little ridiculous to be honest (in a fun and enjoyable way), but this stuff rises so far above that. It's genre defining genius. Don't forget to dip into OK Computer and The Bends. Paranoid Android might be a track that curries favour with you...

Disco

DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE

I know this band gets a bad rap in some music circles, but their music is absolutely beautiful, thoughtful, and melancholy. Sort of like Porcupine Tree in the aspect that they don't really do "happy" songs, which is fine with me. I highly recommend their album Transatlanticism. It's easily one of my top albums of all time and the title track is more epic and powerful than nearly any song I've ever heard. Their later albums delve more into a more pop/mainstream realm, but their earlier ones are unique masterpieces.

My favorite DCFC songs are:

Transatlanticism

Company Calls Epilogue

The New Year

Lightness

Tiny Vessels

Expo '86

A Lack Of Color

Summer Skin

Coney Island

QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 14 2009, 10:23 AM)

It's not that. I'm just starting with Radiohead and maybe Transatlantic. I've heard of Fair to Midland. I thought for a really long time they were a country band. laugh.gif

I downloaded the live recording from NYC by Blackfield, but my Mac's monitor died (again, damn it), so I can't get to it yet. I'm supremely pissed about it, too. angry.gif

BTW to the person who mentioned DT... yes, of course I'm aware of freakin' Dream Theater, and no thank you very much. IMO they seem to be trying way too hard. I do like their drummer dude whatshisface, though.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 15 2009, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 14 2009, 10:23 AM)

It's not that. I'm just starting with Radiohead and maybe Transatlantic. I've heard of Fair to Midland. I thought for a really long time they were a country band. laugh.gif

I downloaded the live recording from NYC by Blackfield, but my Mac's monitor died (again, damn it), so I can't get to it yet. I'm supremely pissed about it, too. angry.gif

BTW to the person who mentioned DT... yes, of course I'm aware of freakin' Dream Theater, and no thank you very much. IMO they seem to be trying way too hard. I do like their drummer dude whatshisface, though.

the drummer from DT, Mike Portnoy is in Transatlantic. So is Neal Morse, aren't you an Spocks Beard fan?

I ended up listening to all the tracks on the fair to midland site. I think they sound good.

I'm doing a really good job of giving new music a try.

The Transatlantic didn't turn out so good for me. sad.gif I'm LOVING Radiohead and just ordered The Bends. I also ordered Anno Domini High Definition by Riverside.

Does anyone have suggestions of where to start with The Pinapple Thief?

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 16 2010, 10:09 AM)

The Transatlantic didn't turn out so good for me. sad.gif I'm LOVING Radiohead and just ordered The Bends. I also ordered Anno Domini High Definition by Riverside.

my guess is it takes a lot of listens for transatlantic to click given the long nature of their songs.

sullysue, give muse a try if you have not done so yet. I bought these discs under the pretense of getting them for my son but i really like it too.

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 16 2010, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 16 2010, 10:09 AM)

The Transatlantic didn't turn out so good for me.  sad.gif  I'm LOVING Radiohead and just ordered The Bends. I also ordered Anno Domini High Definition by Riverside.

my guess is it takes a lot of listens for transatlantic to click given the long nature of their songs.

sullysue, give muse a try if you have not done so yet. I bought these discs under the pretense of getting them for my son but i really like it too.

How many listens do you suppose it will take? I've tried about a dozen times. The first couple of tracks seriously turn me off big time. I don't mind the rest, so much. It's just not all it's been built up to be, imo.

Honestly, and no one throw things at me please, I'm not all that eager to try Muse. The few songs I know by them don't pique my interest too much. That could change at any time, though. There are so many other bands I'm more curious about.

Archived