I need to diversify!

sullysue

I have a tendency to obsess on certain bands, a genre, what have you. I would very like my fellow TRFers to suggest new bands and musical directions so my brain doesn't turn into a vaccum of nothing but Porcupine Tree and Marillion. Seriously, guys. Those two bands plus Rush are the only music my ears can tolerate. Give me stuff that you are PASSIONATE about. Not old stuff. I know about Genesis and Yes and all that. I'm looking for newer bands with newer sounds that will blow me away.

Give it to me. smile.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (mankad89 @ Dec 11 2009, 08:41 PM)
Circa Survive. Their singer has a high-pitched voice, but as a Rush fan, you should be OK with that.

Musically, they are top-notch.

I'll check them out. Thanks. smile.gif

I should add that stuff like Coheed and Cambria makes me want to claw my face off. I do not like C & C. Blech.

I owe you a great selection. I wish I had the means to burn it and send it. Sad thing is my computer has a burner and I have no clue how to use it. If I figure it out I will send you this...

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMAxx11WSss

Most of the other songs are right there as well.

I thank you so much for the PT !!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 11 2009, 09:00 PM)
I owe you a great selection. I wish I had the means to burn it and send it. Sad thing is my computer has a burner and I have no clue how to use it. If I figure it out I will send you this...

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMAxx11WSss

Most of the other songs are right there as well.

I thank you so much for the PT !!! 1022.gif

smile.gif You owe me nothing. Knowing you are a new PT fan is all I need, honey! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've heard a lot about the new Transatlanic. I think it was even one of the 10 best albums of 2009 by Time.com. I gotta check it out, my froind. yes.gif

Do pick up some "old" music.

Here are some suggestions off the top of my head:

Dixie Dregs:

What If

Unsung Heroes

Gong Expresso II

Refugee Refugee

Mainhorse Mainhorse

Steve Hackett Spectral Mornings

Chris Squire Fish Out Of Water

Steve Howe Beginnings

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 11 2009, 10:12 PM)
Do pick up some "old" music.

Here are some suggestions off the top of my head:

Dixie Dregs:
What If
Unsung Heroes

Gong Expresso II

Refugee Refugee

Mainhorse Mainhorse

Steve Hackett Spectral Mornings
Chris Squire Fish Out Of Water
Steve Howe Beginnings

Ok. I'll try. But, seriously, I know all of that. smile.gif

I'm looking for bands that perhaps are flying under the radar that I've missed and should be listening to. 653.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 12 2009, 02:05 AM)
Kings X - They'yve got it all - great singing, great playing, fantastic melodic sensibility. They should have been huge yes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycyI_HWrZQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z5IVW0QbGQ...rom=PL&index=11

Tabor has the sickest tone. Brutal. Ive never seen that performance on Jon Stewart.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 12 2009, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 12 2009, 02:05 AM)
Kings X - They'yve got it all - great singing, great playing, fantastic melodic sensibility. They should have been huge yes.gif 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycyI_HWrZQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z5IVW0QbGQ...rom=PL&index=11

Tabor has the sickest tone. Brutal. Ive never seen that performance on Jon Stewart.

with all the knigs X love here i am surprised that there has been no mention of ANM!

Derek Trucks Band -Already Free

Gov't Mule -By a Thread

Great idea for a thread, and who here doesn't get a little genre bound from time to time?

My submission for your consideration, is the artist I've enjoyed most over the last couple of years, Trentemoller.

In short, it's melancholy electronica.

The longer version is this. As you know there was a great movement in dance music a few years ago called Trance.

It was the music of euphoria. It wasn't subtle though. Every four measures another uplifting sound would come in as the music romped along from one peak time euphoric moment to another. Don't know what to do next? Throw in a rave horn!!!

As fun as it was, there needed to be a reaction to it, hence the minimal house we have now. It strips the music back down to its core. The trouble is most of it is devoid of emotion and just boring thuds of bass drums.

In my view, the art of minimalism is to create the biggest emotion with the fewest elements. To create expressive music without excess. This is what Trentemoller does.

The sound also moves away from the smooth crisp sounds traditionally associated with dance and brings in a breathy distortion.

Here's a typical track (keep with it, it's a builder)

My wife and I enjoyed his concerts in our courting days and his tracks were played at our wedding.

If you find yourself enjoying the melancholy electronica vibe, then there is also the awesome Burial. He's a big critical hit in the UK and has helped to redefine electronica with his vapourous depiction of urban melancholy.

I wasn't allowed this track at my wedding, but very much wanted it played over dinner:

I'll enjoy other dipping into everyone's suggestions.

Love to all

Disco

Not exactly new bands:

Broken Social Scene

Metric

Sloan

Roxanne Potvin

The Weakerthans

Feist

Tokyo Police Club

All imports from Kanada.

Archived