I need to diversify!

sullysue

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 16 2010, 10:50 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 16 2010, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 16 2010, 10:09 AM)
I'm doing a really good job of giving new music a try.

The Transatlantic didn't turn out so good for me.  sad.gif  I'm LOVING Radiohead and just ordered The Bends. I also ordered Anno Domini High Definition by Riverside.

Does anyone have suggestions of where to start with The Pinapple Thief?

my guess is it takes a lot of listens for transatlantic to click given the long nature of their songs.

sullysue, give muse a try if you have not done so yet. I bought these discs under the pretense of getting them for my son but i really like it too.

How many listens do you suppose it will take? I've tried about a dozen times. The first couple of tracks seriously turn me off big time. I don't mind the rest, so much. It's just not all it's been built up to be, imo.

Honestly, and no one throw things at me please, I'm not all that eager to try Muse. The few songs I know by them don't pique my interest too much. That could change at any time, though. There are so many other bands I'm more curious about.

its hard to say but at least for me the longer and the more complex the song the longer it takes to fully digest it entirely. i bet it took more than 2 dozen listens to fully absorb the last BTBAM disc. talk about long complex and intense songs. yikes. than again if its not for you, its never gonna click. its hard to know when to write a band off.

i was surprised how much i ended up liking muse though.

what about fellow texan Eric Johnson? speaking of texas i also really like Lyle Lovett.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 16 2010, 11:10 AM)

The Transatlantic didn't turn out so good for me.  sad.gif  I'm LOVING Radiohead and just ordered The Bends. I also ordered Anno Domini High Definition by Riverside.

my guess is it takes a lot of listens for transatlantic to click given the long nature of their songs.

sullysue, give muse a try if you have not done so yet. I bought these discs under the pretense of getting them for my son but i really like it too.

How many listens do you suppose it will take? I've tried about a dozen times. The first couple of tracks seriously turn me off big time. I don't mind the rest, so much. It's just not all it's been built up to be, imo.

Honestly, and no one throw things at me please, I'm not all that eager to try Muse. The few songs I know by them don't pique my interest too much. That could change at any time, though. There are so many other bands I'm more curious about.

its hard to say but at least for me the longer and the more complex the song the longer it takes to fully digest it entirely. i bet it took more than 2 dozen listens to fully absorb the last BTBAM disc. talk about long complex and intense songs. yikes. than again if its not for you, its never gonna click. its hard to know when to write a band off.

what about fellow texan Eric Johnson? speaking of texas i also really like Lyle Lovett.

Of course I'm a fan of Eric Johnson. smile.gif It's unpatriotic for a Texan to not love Eric, Stevie Ray and Pantera. wink.gif

Lyle is cool. yes.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 16 2010, 11:42 AM)

Of course I'm a fan of Eric Johnson. smile.gif It's unpatriotic for a Texan to not love Eric, Stevie Ray and Pantera. wink.gif

Lyle is cool. yes.gif

yes.gif Lyle is cool! He really pulls in some killer studio musicians for his discs too.

while on the topic of texas bands, what about the mars volta?

I thought the Animals As Leaders disc was the best instrumental disc i heard all last year. talk about a diverse disc!

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 16 2010, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 16 2010, 11:42 AM)

Lyle is cool. yes.gif

yes.gif Lyle is cool! He really pulls in some killer studio musicians for his discs too.

while on the topic of texas bands, what about the mars volta?

I thought the Animals As Leaders disc was the best instrumental disc i heard all last year. talk about a diverse disc!

I have Mars Volta on my list of bands to check out. I'm a bad Texan, huh? sad.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 16 2010, 12:15 PM)
Try a band called Doves. I don't want to give any kind of genre-attaching incase I put you off them, but they do have a few spaced-out moments in the PT vein. Try Kingdom of Rust and Some Cities, or even better, they have a new compilation out called Places In Between which is spectacular.

Never hear of Doves. I'll check 'em out. Thanks, MH.

i didn't see anyone mention mastodon's last album, crack the skye.

their earlier stuff has the crappy nu-metal screamed vocals and thrash riffs, but CTS is more like a 70's prog album with singing. very good arrangements and riffs, i think rush fans would dig it.

big +1 to kings x, amazing band, my fave discs are dogman, & gretchen goes to nebraska.

i checked out animals as leaders last night, kinda busy for my tastes but amazing.

wayne krantz can be busy too, but i love the interplay between instruments, esp keith carlock (coolest drummer since neil IMFO). faves are the new album krantz carlock lebeferbv, and 2 drink minimum.

john scofield is my fave guitarist (i named my dog scofield). faves are a go go, & uberjam.

black sabbaths latter ozzy albums are kinda proggy metal (best from this period are sabbath bloody sabbath, & sabotage). earlier albums are more classic doom metal (master of reality, volume 4).

self-serving edit - if you like instrumental jazz, funk, & ska, check out my band generic hustle (itunes & myspace links in my sig).

North Atlantic Oscillation

Anathema (songs like Are You There and Flying, maybe not other stuff)

No-Man

Ayreon

the Gathering

Lunatic Soul

Riverside

Pineapple Thief

yeah. Just check out all of those. Some you will probably like more than others. Also, if you don't have a last.fm acount, GET ONE. It's great for reccommendations and stuff.

The Transatlantic didn't turn out so good for me. sad.gif I'm LOVING Radiohead and just ordered The Bends. I also ordered Anno Domini High Definition by Riverside.

Tightly Wound is a great CD by them. Also, I can't wait for the new release "Someone Here Is Missing" which is due out in May.

QUOTE (Rhosyn Helena @ Apr 18 2010, 09:36 AM)
North Atlantic Oscillation
Anathema (songs like Are You There and Flying, maybe not other stuff)
No-Man
Ayreon
the Gathering
Lunatic Soul
Riverside
Pineapple Thief

yeah. Just check out all of those. Some you will probably like more than others. Also, if you don't have a last.fm acount, GET ONE. It's great for reccommendations and stuff.

I just realised that like half of these have already been mentioned. So yeah, seconded.

Try these proverbial seminal bands: Wire and Pere Ubu.

Wire: Pink Flag, Chairs Missing and 154. These three albums show a true progression. Amazing stuff once you "get it".

Pere Ubu: The Modern Dance, Dub Housing and Terminal Tower. Incredibly influential. I hear a lot of Radiohead in some of their songs. Again, amazing stuff once you "get it".

Oh yeah, and go get some Big Star albums.

Sue,

Don't know if you are still looking to diversify, but based on what you've said about Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Johnson, I thought I'd mention this person to you since no one else seems to have so.

Joe Bonamassa

India/Mountain Time - Huge fan favorite.

- Another fan favorite, you can hear some SRV influence in his fills and solos, but he takes it way beyond. The lick that he plays at 6:11 on the song is just sick!

- Just an amazing performance.

Stop! - From his Royal Albert Hall DVD.

- Also from the Royal Albert Hall DVD. This is a ZZ Top song, and he does some Eric Johnson like shredding in the solo. Notice that for the ZZ Top song, he opted to remove his sunglasses...

Woke Up Dreaming - In case you were wondering if he could play acoustic guitar.

Get the new Sevendust - Cold Day Memory . Heavy but with a Great groove and someone that can really sing

My son, Patrick, asked me to download some Bigelf for him. I just got Cheat the Gallows from eMusic.

Next, I'm going to check out Trentemoller, which Disco suggested a while back.

Still waiting on the Riverside from Amazon.

Joe Bonamassa is next on the list. smile.gif

QUOTE (Brooks @ Apr 18 2010, 08:36 AM)
i didn't see anyone mention mastodon's last album, crack the skye.
their earlier stuff has the crappy nu-metal screamed vocals and thrash riffs, but CTS is more like a 70's prog album with singing. very good arrangements and riffs, i think rush fans would dig it.

big +1 to kings x, amazing band, my fave discs are dogman, & gretchen goes to nebraska.

i checked out animals as leaders last night, kinda busy for my tastes but amazing.

wayne krantz can be busy too, but i love the interplay between instruments, esp keith carlock (coolest drummer since neil IMFO). faves are the new album krantz carlock lebeferbv, and 2 drink minimum.

john scofield is my fave guitarist (i named my dog scofield). faves are a go go, & uberjam.

black sabbaths latter ozzy albums are kinda proggy metal (best from this period are sabbath bloody sabbath, & sabotage). earlier albums are more classic doom metal (master of reality, volume 4).

self-serving edit - if you like instrumental jazz, funk, & ska, check out my band generic hustle (itunes & myspace links in my sig).

thanks for checking out Animals As Leaders! For their first disc I thought it was a great. If AAL is too busy, you might want to try another new instrumental group- scale the summit. I give the slight edge to AAL but STS is also amazing.

http://www.myspace.com/scalethesummit

Definitely agree about Mastodon too.

I've seen Carlock with Steely Dan twice. KC plays on Walter Beckers latest disc too- Circus Money.

Archived