Humanure

librarian

I'll forego the puns for now and just say that I am starting a list:

People At Whose Homes I Will Not Eat Should I Visit Their Respective Cities

1. - Joseph Jenkins (rural PA)

2. - Eric Knutzen - LA

. . .etc.

Let me know if any of you sign on to this crazy idea so I can add you. laugh.gif

Having had the recent experience of a sewer backing up into my yard, I can tell you that the smell of untreated human waste is utterly, completely unlike any nasty odor you've ever encountered. Worse than necrotic pus-filled tissue (yeah, I've had a whiff of that a time or two as well).

If you've ever been downwind of a waste-treatment facility, multiply that odor x 100, and you'll get an idea. It might be perfectly safe, but who in their right minds would want to spend weeks smelling that nastiness and then EAT food that had grown beneath it???? In the summer there'd have to be maggots, for crying out loud.

If any of my neighbors suddenly decide this is a good idea, they may just get a visit from Mara The Hindu Goddess of Death. wink.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 8 2009, 12:04 AM)
Having had the recent experience of a sewer backing up into my yard, I can tell you that the smell of untreated human waste is utterly, completely unlike any nasty odor you've ever encountered. Worse than necrotic pus-filled tissue (yeah, I've had a whiff of that a time or two as well).

If you've ever been downwind of a waste-treatment facility, multiply that odor x 100, and you'll get an idea. It might be perfectly safe, but who in their right minds would want to spend weeks smelling that nastiness and then EAT food that had grown beneath it???? In the summer there'd have to be maggots, for crying out loud.

If any of my neighbors suddenly decide this is a good idea, they may just get a visit from Mara The Hindu Goddess of Death. wink.gif

Yes, it's one thing to use cow or horse manure, which, assuming the animals are fed their natural diet of grass/hay/oats, makes a fine compost. But most humans eat a lot of shit (pun intended). Fast food, junk food, and animal flesh in general makes for solid waste not appropriate for use as garden compost, IMO...especially a vegetable garden. Ewww.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 8 2009, 02:33 AM)
Fast food, junk food, and animal flesh in general makes for solid waste not appropriate for use as garden compost, IMO...especially a vegetable garden. Ewww.

True. So in terms of real quality humanure, the vegetarians and vegans have the edge there it seems.

And ya know, reading this thread and looking at your avatar #73, those faces are starting to take on a whole new meaning to me. A few of them look like they might be trying to manufacture some compost themselves, and straining to do it. laugh.gif

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 8 2009, 04:37 PM)
Fast food, junk food, and animal flesh in general makes for solid waste not appropriate for use as garden compost, IMO...especially a vegetable garden. Ewww.

True. So in terms of real quality humanure, the vegetarians and vegans have the edge there it seems.

And ya know, reading this thread and looking at your avatar #73, those faces are starting to take on a whole new meaning to me. A few of them look like they might be trying to manufacture some compost themselves, and straining to do it. laugh.gif

Speaking of, can anyone tell me the point of eating corn? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 8 2009, 05:15 PM)
Hindu Goddess of Death

Somebody has a new "avatar name"? ohmy.gif

I like it. smile.gif

laugh.gif I do too! It has an exotic and intimidating air about it (not that I'm either of those things, but wouldn't mind being so on occasion)!

Having had the recent experience of a sewer backing up into my yard, I can tell you that the smell of untreated human waste is utterly, completely unlike any nasty odor you've ever encountered.  Worse than necrotic pus-filled tissue (yeah, I've had a whiff of that a time or two as well). 

If you've ever been downwind of a waste-treatment facility, multiply that odor x 100, and you'll get an idea.  It might be perfectly safe, but who in their right minds would want to spend weeks smelling that nastiness and then EAT food that had grown beneath it????  In the summer there'd have to be maggots, for crying out loud. 

If any of my neighbors suddenly decide this is a good idea, they may just get a visit from Mara The Hindu Goddess of Death.  wink.gif

Yes, it's one thing to use cow or horse manure, which, assuming the animals are fed their natural diet of grass/hay/oats, makes a fine compost. But most humans eat a lot of shit (pun intended). Fast food, junk food, and animal flesh in general makes for solid waste not appropriate for use as garden compost, IMO...especially a vegetable garden. Ewww.

I was going to stay out of this topic, but given my work history, I have some knowledge in this area.

The spreading of animal waste is regulated by the most states. This was a former job of mine. Animal waste is good because it is low in bacteria (the smell ceases after a short time after it is ashed into the soil) and it is high in nutrients that plants (read crops) need in order to thrive.

The EXACT opposite is true of human waste. It is high in bacteria and low in nutrients and makes a horrible soil amendment. The spreading of human waste is illegal in South Carolina, and yes it does reek of death. There is a reason that our wastewater treatment plant is far, far away from any homes, schools, churches, etc.

This guy is just another nutjob with some rather dangerous beliefs. And I am glad that he lives far, far away from me. trink38.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 8 2009, 03:51 PM)

For the answer to this question and all things Fecal... try this site:

http://www.poopreport.com/

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 8 2009, 04:20 PM)
Having had the recent experience of a sewer backing up into my yard, I can tell you that the smell of untreated human waste is utterly, completely unlike any nasty odor you've ever encountered.  Worse than necrotic pus-filled tissue (yeah, I've had a whiff of that a time or two as well). 

If you've ever been downwind of a waste-treatment facility, multiply that odor x 100, and you'll get an idea.  It might be perfectly safe, but who in their right minds would want to spend weeks smelling that nastiness and then EAT food that had grown beneath it????  In the summer there'd have to be maggots, for crying out loud. 

If any of my neighbors suddenly decide this is a good idea, they may just get a visit from Mara The Hindu Goddess of Death.  wink.gif

I was going to stay out of this topic, but given my work history, I have some knowledge in this area.

The spreading of animal waste is regulated by the most states. This was a former job of mine. Animal waste is good because it is low in bacteria (the smell ceases after a short time after it is ashed into the soil) and it is high in nutrients that plants (read crops) need in order to thrive.

The EXACT opposite is true of human waste. It is high in bacteria and low in nutrients and makes a horrible soil amendment. The spreading of human waste is illegal in South Carolina, and yes it does reek of death. There is a reason that our wastewater treatment plant is far, far away from any homes, schools, churches, etc.

This guy is just another nutjob with some rather dangerous beliefs. And I am glad that he lives far, far away from me. trink38.gif

He's Californian. It's not like they're known for their common sense. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 8 2009, 04:19 PM)
Hindu Goddess of Death

I like it. smile.gif

laugh.gif I do too! It has an exotic and intimidating air about it (not that I'm either of those things, but wouldn't mind being so on occasion)!

Done. laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 8 2009, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 8 2009, 04:19 PM)
Hindu Goddess of Death

I like it. smile.gif

Done. laugh.gif

laugh.gif Thanks! I never would have known that except for the Troutman thread!

lol Mara, you and your beloved eggs and corn. laugh.gif Anyway, I typed your question into the Ask site and the following link came up. Nice little discussion that they had there. 'Poop filled corn sacks' tongue.gif http://www.ask.com/bar?q=what+is+the+point...p=1260330280315

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 8 2009, 11:52 PM)

lol Mara, you and your beloved eggs and corn. laugh.gif Anyway, I typed your question into the Ask site and the following link came up. Nice little discussion that they had there. 'Poop filled corn sacks' tongue.gif http://www.ask.com/bar?q=what+is+the+point...p=1260330280315

Ewww. I really do like corn, especially on the cob, grilled, but I will NEVER look at a niblet the same way again!

Archived