Order all Rush Albums In Order of Greatest to Wors

Working Man

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 21 2010, 04:23 PM)
For the life of me, I'll never understand the love for Power Windows among Rush fans.

It almost turned me off of the band for good when I bought it.

Soft, dull and fairly limp-wristed, and also the album where Alex put his balls in a jar for a decade.

That's the beauty of diversity in the catalog, I guess.

For me, it's a few reasons... great songwriting, usage of keyboards, and (believe it or not) Alex's tone and style of playing. IMO there's not a sub-par track on the record. Neil is writing about real-life things (The Big Money, Marathon, Middletown Dreams) and about historical events (Manhattan Project). Keyboards are used for more than just chords and the occasional solo. And Alex's tone... I love hearing him playing these textural lines, and the tone he's getting out of his Hentor Sportscasters is amazing Also, his solo in "Emotion Detector" absolutely blows me away. Also worth noting is Geddy's bass-playing on this record... he may have been using the Steinberger, but his playing is amazing (Middletown Dreams, the bridge of Emotion Detector).

Likewise, I'll never understand the hype-like love for Moving Pictures. It's a great album, I just think there are five better albums.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 21 2010, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 21 2010, 02:23 PM)
For the life of me, I'll never understand the love for Power Windows among Rush fans.

Soft, dull and fairly limp-wristed, and also the album where Alex put his balls in a jar for a decade.

Just because overdriven guitars aren't at the forefront doesn't mean it's soft or limp-wristed by any means. The soundscape is just so BIG on Power Windows; to me, moments like the chorus in Middletown Dreams or the end of Marathon are epic.

Also, I like Alex's guitarwork on this album a lot. No, it doesn't have the big power riffs, but he's very much present, and the sounds he makes are unique and his solos are very creative, and definitely still in his old spirit.

Hold Your Fire, on the other hand, hasn't aged well with me. The soundscape is a lot smaller on that album and Alex's tone is much thinner. I'm sure I'll find someone who disagrees with me, and says Hold Your Fire was a return to form for Rush and Alex. That's what makes it interesting biggrin.gif

Oh... damn. I basically quoted you without even reading your post. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 21 2010, 04:35 PM)
Likewise, I'll never understand the hype-like love for Moving Pictures. It's a great album, I just think there are five better albums.

dazed025.gif

There can be no other Rush album better than Moving Pictures. It goes against the laws of the universe. yes.gif unsure.gif

1. Grace Under Pressure

2. Signals

3. Test for Echo

4. Snakes & Arrows

5. Presto

6. Moving Pictures

7. Power Windows

8. Counterparts

9. Hemispheres

10. Fly By Night

11. Permanent Waves

12. Caress of Steel

13. Hold Your Fire

14. A Farewell to Kings

15. 2112

16. Vapor Trails

17. Roll the Bones

18. Rush

3-16 is unstable

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 21 2010, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 21 2010, 03:23 PM)

See, the good thing for me is that I only got into Rush a few years ago. Rather than being with them from the beginning and (trying to) evolve with them, I could simply go back and listen to all the albums with an open mind. That's mainly the reason I don't like their early stuff. Rather than being there when it was big and the shit, I looked at it in retrospective and decided I didn't care for it.

I started listening in 1981 and I think their first album is wonderful, even though it was several years old at that point. Fly By Night and Caress of Steel both took years to grow on me, and now I think they're both great albums outside of The Necromancer and I Think I'm Going Bald. I was there when Power Windows came out and was knocked out immediately by The Big Money and Territories and Marathon and Manhattan Project, and while it was far from their best, there were no bad songs on the album.

I don't think it matters when you came in or what order you listened to the albums. If you're listening with an open mind, which I think most people do, you're going to judge each album in terms of how much you do or don't like it.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 21 2010, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 21 2010, 04:35 PM)

dazed025.gif

There can be no other Rush album better than Moving Pictures. It goes against the laws of the universe. yes.gif unsure.gif

laugh.gif

You know how you feel about OK Computer? That's pretty much how I feel about Moving Pictures. Great, but definitely not greatest.

Excellent posts, everyone.

I think the G-K and those Superstrats with active pick-ups were the worst things that ever happened to Alex. I never cared for that tone (which admittedly got worse on HYF).

And I think PeW and MP are two of the 10 best hard rock albums of all time.

Power Windows just isn't my favorite type of music, but it's cool that people get off on it.

1. Hemispheres

2. A Farewell to Kings

3. Moving Pictures

4. Fly By Night

5. 2112

6. Permanent Waves

7. Vapor Trails

8. Snakes & Arrows

9. Rush

10. Caress of Steel

11. Counterparts

12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Test for Echo

14. Signals

15. Presto

16. Hold Your Fire

17. Power Windows / Roll the Bones (tied for worst, can't decide)

My #7-#11 can do some shuffling around, but that's how I feel right now.

1) Permanent Waves

2) Hemispheres

3) Moving Pictures

4) Signals

5) Power Windows

6) A Farewell to Kings

7) Grace Under Pressure

8) 2112

9) Hold Your Fire

10) Snakes and Arrows

11) Counterparts

12) Roll the Bones

13) Test For Echo

14) Vapor Trails

15) Presto

16) Fly By Night

17) Caress of Steel

18) Rush

19) Feedback (can this even count?)

Live albums

1) Exit Stage Left

2) Different Stages

3) Snakes and Arrows Live

4) A Show of Hands

5) All The Worlds A Stage

6) R-30

7) Grace Under Pressure Tour

8) Rush in Rio

1) Permanent Waves

2) Hemispheres

3) Moving Pictures

4) Signals

5) Power Windows

6) A Farewell to Kings

7) Grace Under Pressure

8) 2112

9) Hold Your Fire

10) Snakes and Arrows

11) Counterparts

12) Roll the Bones

13) Test For Echo

14) Vapor Trails

15) Presto

16) Fly By Night

17) Caress of Steel

18) Rush

Live albums

1) Exit Stage Left

2) Different Stages

3) Snakes and Arrows Live

4) A Show of Hands

5) All The Worlds A Stage

6) R-30

7) Grace Under Pressure Tour

8) Rush in Rio

1. Permanent Waves

2. Grace Under Pressure

(after here it completely unstable, RTB has been #3 before)

3. Power Windows

4. Hemispheres

5. Moving Pictures

6. Counterparts

7. A Farewell to Kings

8. Snakes and Arrows

9. Signals

10. 2112

11. Hold Your Fire

12. Presto

13. Fly By Night

14. Caress of Steel

15. Vapor Trails

16. Roll The Bones

17. Rush

18. Test For Echo

honorable mention: Clockwork Angels so far

Ok, so maybe it is impossible to say what is the "best" but here is a list in order of my favorite. If I call it may favorites to my least favorites, it cannot be contested...right?

Hemispheres

Signals

Caress of Steel

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Grace Under Pressure

Counterparts

Hold Your Fire

A Farewell to Kings

Power Windows

Rush

Presto

Vapor Trails

Fly By Night

Snakes and Arrows

Test For Echo

Roll the Bones

For me, I separate the career of RUSH into three parts: pre-CD era, post-CD era, and the iTunes era. And you can arguably separate the pre-CD era into pre-synth and post-synth sounds based on the liner notes of when Geddy begins listing synths as an instrument. The post-CD era is based upon Neil's own writing stating that HYF was the first album written for the longer CD format in mind. With S&A and releasing 'Far Cry' as a single on iTunes before the album, we begin the iTunes era and they are of course continuing it with the 'Caravan/BU2B' singles.

Pre-CD era: RUSH to PW (pre-synth: RUSH to 2112, post-synth: AFTK to PW)

Post-CD era: HYF to Feedback

iTunes era: S&A to CA

What are your favorites from each era? I'm still thinking about mine...

1. Hemispheres

2. Moving Pictures

3. Permanent Waves

4. A Farewell To Kings

5. 2112

6. Signals

7. Rush

8. Vapor Trails

9. Grace Under Pressure

10. Caress Of Steel

11. Counterparts

12. Fly By Night

13. Snakes & Arrows

14. Roll The Bones

15. Hold Your Fire

16. Presto

17. Power Windows

18. Test For Echo

Hemispheres.... masterpiece as well as the rest of the top 6.

7-12 Very consistent minus bloops like "I Think I'm Going Bald" and "Red Lenses"

Snakes & Arrows - also very consistent, but the songs played on the S&A tour are the ones that truly enjoy, but sometimes "Faithless", "Bravest Face", "Good News First" and "We Hold On" kinda kill it

14-15 - A bit inconsistent. Some really awesome spots like the first 3 tracks of RTB, "Ghost Of A Chance", "Mission", "Second Nature" and "Time Stand Still" but bloops like "Face Up" and "Tai Shan". Not for me wink.gif

16-18 Really inconsistent. Great moments like "Presto", Available Light", "Marathon", "Mystic Rhythms" and "Resist" get overshadowed by songs like "Red Tide", "Stupidconductor", "Manhattan Project", and "Dog Years"

But even then, I have a favorite from every album, it's all good! 2.gif

QUOTE (Jake2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 09:31 PM)
7-12 Very consistent minus bloops like "I Think I'm Going Bald" and "Red Lenses"

16-18 Really inconsistent. Great moments like "Presto", Available Light", "Marathon", "Mystic Rhythms" and "Resist" get overshadowed by songs like "Red Tide", "Stupidconductor", "Manhattan Project", and "Dog Years"

Whoa, whoa, whoa, you just dissed "Red Lenses", "Red Tide", and "The Manhatten Project"??? To each his own, I guess. tongue.gif

QUOTE (tk4207 @ Jul 21 2010, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (Jake2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 09:31 PM)

Whoa, whoa, whoa, you just dissed "Red Lenses", "Red Tide", and "The Manhatten Project"??? To each his own, I guess. tongue.gif

Heh, It's kind of weird for me, cause, if I were to "spin" the album right now I could listen to it, no prob. But if it comes up on my iPod in shuffle mode, I pass, idk. Oh well biggrin.gif

1) Permanent Waves

2) Hemispheres

3) Moving Pictures

4) Signals

5) Power Windows

6) A Farewell to Kings

7) Grace Under Pressure

8) 2112

9) Hold Your Fire

10) Snakes and Arrows

11) Counterparts

12) Roll the Bones

13) Test For Echo

14) Vapor Trails

15) Presto

16) Fly By Night

17) Caress of Steel

18) Rush

For me the top 5 albums in my list are the absolute very best Rush has ever produced in terms of songs, sonics and overall brilliance.

6 and 7 - are so close. a few things keep them from being masterpieces for me,

With AFTK - First off they have one of the biggest mistakes they ever made with Madrigal. Also sonically this has not aged as well. Also Geddy has come cringe inducing moments for me on the vocals of Cygnus X-1. I love this album and it has one of my top 10 Rush songs of all time in Xanadu

With Grace Under Pressure - Another great album. But like AFTK it has not aged perfectly for me. Tunes like The Body Electric and The Enemy Within use what I call (and I say this with affection) the Chessemaster 2000 synth. (Geddy's old PPG Wave). I really felt some of the synth sounds on this one did not age well in comparison to the Power Windows and HYF stuff. I attribute that to Rush essentially self producing the album and getting no real significant sonic and songwriting input from Peter Henderson. He really served as more of an engineer then producer on this record. I also did not feel the way the Simmons drums were recorded did not age well either.

2112 - Love the album. But other than Something for Nothing and Tears, side 2 has not aged well at all. I much prefer the Exit Stage Left version of A Passage to Bangkok. I do like The Twilght Zone but again not a great song. Lessons is ok but nothing classic in any sense.

Hold Your Fire - I love Hold Your Fire and there are days I think it is one of their very best albums. But the 8 in front of it have more classic material and Hold Your Fire really could flip flop with 2112 and Grace Under Pressure depending on my mood.

CP, RTB, T4E - Ok here is a 3 album run that get's a lot of heat. I happen to think Roll the Bones and Counterparts have some of Rush's best work. It is just the entire body that does not make the cut. But Dreamline, Bravado, RTB, Heresy, Wheres my Thing and Ghost of a Chance are all steller tunes. CP has some really killer stuff in Animate, CTTC, Between Sun and Moon, Alien Shore, Double Agent, Everday Glory, Cold Fire. As far as the 90's Counterparts is king. Snakes and Arrows though edges it out by a hair because it has some what I consider classic Rush songs in Far Cry, Armor and Sword, TMMB, and TWTWB. Those are all time favorites of mine. T4E has some great tunes and some of Neils best drum work ever, but the album sometimes sounds like they were going through some musical motions. But I do really enjoy it and played it to death for 2 years. Totem, Driven and the title track really stand out along with Time and Motion (which would be a welcomed suprise in the future as a live choice).

Presto - Just a good album for me. Nothing more, nothing less. 1 truly great groundbreaking tune for me in Available Light. That tune is unlike anything they ever wrote post Hold Your Fire.

The first 3 albums - scattered with some amazing classics but a lot of dated filler in my ears.

Reasons:

1. Signals - this is the only Rush album for me that's completely effortless with as high a standard as it has all the way through. It has complete consistency, which is very important to me.

2. Moving Pictures - What keeps MP from number 1 is TCE - it's a GREAT song, but it goes on a little too long - was never crazy about the focus is sharp in the city line/theme - great, but not as perfect as the rest. Side 1 is beyond perfect.

3. Permanent Waves - Side 1 here again is perfect. Different Strings, again while great, isn't quite as good as the rest of it, and Entre Nous I have to be in the mood for.

4. Hemispheres - Hemi has the consistency, but the title track, again while brilliant, is quite a mouthful to digest - I'm not always in the mood for it. Side 2 is perfect.

5. A Farewell To Kings - AFTK has 3 genius brilliant songs, followed by the very good Madrigal and Cygnus is where the album loses a little ground for me - great song, but the narrated part is kind of a turn off and it's the one place where Geddy gets a tad high pitched for me at times.

6. Rush - Yes it's not as sophisticated as later work, but it rocks damn hard, and it's their most fun album. Alex is on fire and there isn't a weak track there.

7. Hold Your Fire - Easily the 2nd best of the keyboard era. If it wasn't for the two lemons on the end, this album would be rated even higher. The rest of it is brilliant.

8. Grace Under Pressure - Again, no weak songs and a fantastic solid album. It's only because there are albums with even stronger material that this is rated at number 8, but that's no disrespect for the album. Maybe on a different day I'd put it above HYF.

9. 2112 - Another great work. I don't rate it higher because again the title track is a bit of a mouthful I'm not always up to digesting, and side 2, while containing no weak songs, is a little haphazard. Still a truly great album.

10. Fly By Night - This one took many, many years to grow on me, and while solid throughout, it's perhaps the least mature Neil album. Again, definitely a great album, it's just others are stronger.

11. Power Windows - No weak tracks - the great songs are truly great, and the lesser songs are very good. It lacks the cohesiveness for me of the other 82-87 albums, but still a great album.

12. Counterparts - Their comeback album after two weak efforts - it rocks hard while having a clean sound, and the first four songs are truly awesome. Some great message songs. The album suffers a tad from having no keyboards, but it's still a great album I've listened to many, many times.

13. Caress of Steel - When it's great (Bastille Day, Lakeside Park, TFOL), it's truly great, and when it's bad (I Think I'm Going Bald, THe Necromancer), it tanks. ITIGB is just a bad idea - I appreciate their sense of humor in general, but here it fails. The Necromancer is destroyed by the unlistenable narration. 3/5ths of a great album.

14. Snakes & Arrows - Who would have thought they could be this good this late on? Again a comeback album after two weak efforts. Yeah there's some filler and some average songs, but the first there songs and the three instrumentals are outstanding. Almost half of a great album.

15. Presto - This album was a huge disappointment to me when it came out - it wasn't bad, but none of it was great. Their first mediocre effort. I've come to love The Pass, and to a lesser degree Chain Lightning, but most of the rest of it is a skip for me, and some of the lyrics do get a bit cringeworthy at times. Not an outright embarrassment, but not an album of theirs I'm proud of. The main problem here was an undeniable drop in lyrical quality.

16. Roll the Bones - After the last two tracks of HYF and the mediocre Presto, once I heard the song RTB with the rap, it turned me off of Rush for a couple of years as I thought they had truly lost it. I didn't buy the album for many years, which is a shame because I missed out for awhile on the brilliant Dreamline. Bravado is good, but most of the rest goes from ok to truly awful. Around half the songs are just really pretty lame. I skip the entire thing except for Dreamline.

17. Test For Echo - This album does very little for me - it's too heavy without the stripped down sound of CP - a bit too hard rock for me in places, and none of the songs move me. Driven is the best thing on it, but I almost never want to listen to it. Some of the songs have really bad lyrics; Dog Years, Virtuality and the title track being the worst offenders. Not horrible, but a really weak effort.

18. Vapor Trails - The only album of theirs I truly hate. Not one redeeming quality on this album outside of I occasionally think OLV isn't horrible, but mostly I just like the first 20-30 seconds before I lose interest. It's not just the horrible sound quality, it's the songs - weak depressing formulaic lyrics, uninspired repetitive arrangements with no guitar solos (WTF?) and just a phone in wreck of an album. I'm actually embarrassed for them. I was seriously disappointed on the first listen, and by the 4th or 5th I was heartbroken that my favorite band could put out something so bad. Thank God for S&A.

I was pretty hopeful for Clockwork Angels, but if the first two songs are any indication, I'm far less hopeful - great instrumental breakdown in Caravan, but the rest of the song is kind of blah, and BU2B I don't like much at all.

So for me there's 14 great almost flawless albums, and 4 weak ones. That to me is pretty incredible. I can't think of any other group that's made that many albums where most of them are so enjoyable.

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Grace Under Pressure

4. Signals

5. 2112

6. Power Windows

7. Counterparts

8. Rush

9. Hemispheres

10. A Farewell To Kings

11. Snakes and Arrows

12. Roll The Bones

13. Hold Your Fire

14. Presto

15. Fly By Night

16. Caress of Steel

17. Test for Echo

18. Vapor Trails

19. Feedback

A Farewell to Kings

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Moving Pictures

Caress of Steel

Fly by Night

Grace Under Pressure

Signals

Rush

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Vapor Trails

Counterparts

Snakes & Arrows

Presto

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

Fly by Night

Caress of Steel

Signals

Roll the Bones

Power Windows

Rush

Test for Echo

Counterparts

Snakes & Arrows

Presto

Hold your Fire

Vapor Trails

Part of the reason I don't like most of the 80's stuff is that it has aged so poorly. I feel like that sound is just so ingrained in what was the norm in the 80's, that now it just sounds ridiculous. To me, from Signals to Presto, those albums have aged about as well as a jar of mayo left out in the sun for the same amount of time.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 22 2010, 11:19 AM)
Part of the reason I don't like most of the 80's stuff is that it has aged so poorly in my humble, and most likely wrong, opinion. I feel like that sound is just so ingrained in what was the norm in the 80's, that now it just sounds ridiculous to me, but I know most sane people disagree. To me, from Signals to Presto, those albums have aged about as well as a jar of mayo left out in the sun for the same amount of time, but don't listen to me because I'm probably wrong.

Fixed. tongue.gif

unsure.gif

bolt.gif

I wanna do this reasons thing! (Oh, and I switched a couple.)

1. Vapor Trails - After reading Ghost Rider, I really started to appreciate the lyrical work on the album. I also like the boundless energy in tracks like Secret Touch and Out of the Cradle. I'm sure this album will have a limited tenure at the #1 slot, but for now it's there.

2. Signals - This album covers such a wide range of emotions. An album that can have tracks with as much excitement as The Analog Kid (a live staple of my band) and as beautiful and effective as Losing It will always be ranked in my top albums of all time. Unlike Vapor Trails, this will be in my top 3 for a long time to come.

3. Power Windows - As I said in another post, I love the big soundscapes and I love what Alex does on this album. Power chords get old after a while; he really gets into some unique stuff on this album. I've never really heard anything quite like it.

4. Moving Pictures - Just a monster of an album. If I'm ever in doubt, I put on Moving Pictures. Just a very easy album to get lost in and listen to all the way through.

5. Hemispheres - Another incredibly strong album. The title track was amazing. If it had maybe one more song, I would put it in the 4 slot and relegate Moving Pictures to 5. This album's just a bit short.

6. Grace Under Pressure - Much like Signals, there is a lot of emotion on this album. I love Between the Wheels; it's probably my favorite Rush song, another live staple of my band. This album is just very strong and emotional all the way through.

7. Counterparts - High-energy stuff here. It has the god-awful Speed of Love, though. Blech. But otherwise, I really love this album.

8. A Farewell To Kings - The only weak moment here is Madrigal, and I still like it. Another monster of an album!

9. Permanent Waves - Has some of their best material (The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, and Natural Science) and a couple tracks that don't do much for me most of the time (Entre Nous, Different Strings). Jacob's Ladder is alright, not one of my favorites.

10. 2112 - Of course, the title track is phenomenal, but I don't much care for Lessons, Tears, or Twilight Zone. That's a lot of filler for me. But I love Something for Nothing.

11. Snakes and Arrows - This was my favorite when it came out, but I guess I've gotten burnt out on it. The standouts for me on this one are Armor and Sword, Hope, Bravest Face, and We Hold On.

12. Hold Your Fire - This used to be an old favorite as well, but now it just sounds much weaker to me. I still love Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Mission, and Turn the Page.

13. Presto - Same thing here; the stand-outs are absolutely amazing (Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass, Presto, Available Light), but some of the tracks are really bad. (War Paint, Superconductor, Anagram (For Mongo), Red Tide) I actually like Red Tide, but it's not an amazing song to me.

14. Caress of Steel - I don't really like Lakeside Park, and The Necromancer/TFOL can both be great or over-done. Bastille Day is great and I like I Think I'm Going Bald once in a while for a good laugh.

15. Roll The Bones - I love Dreamline, Bravado, and Heresy. The rest is solid, but nothing amazing.

16. Test For Echo - I really like the title track, Driven, Color of Right, and Time and Motion. Most of the tracks here are pretty solid, but unlike all the albums before this, there aren't any "I LOVE THIS" moments.

17. Fly By Night - Anthem is awesome. The rest is still just solid.

18. Rush - Not really a Rush album to me. But I do really like Finding My Way. Working Man is overrated; it's a lot longer than it should be... eh.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 18 2009, 11:17 AM)
sd's tiered rating style was interesting (although I added another 'tier) - and of course,  I didn't agree with the rankings wink.gif - therefore:

Perfect
Signals
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves

Almost Perfect
Caress of Steel
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Vapor Trails

Pretty Damn Good
Rush
Fly By Night
AFTK
Hemispheres
Hold Your Fire
Presto
Counterparts

Not Quite Their Best
Test For Echo
Snakes And Arrows

Almost Garbage
2112 (excepting Something For Nothing and Lessons, which are basically two FBN-like 'leftovers', this is the most bloated and over-rated album of their career - taking the blues and the soul out of Caress Of Steel was a silly move, and they knew it - as proof, they changed directions immediately [see AFTK, Hemispheres, etc] 
Roll The Bones (Dreamline and Ghost Of A Chance save this one from the 'toss' pile... just)
Feedback (rip Crossroads to a pc and get rid of it)

let's see... what has seven months done to my list?

in order:

Perfect

Signals

Almost Perfect

Grace Under Pressure

Vapor Trails

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Power Windows

Pretty Damn Good

Caress of Steel

Hemispheres