Would you let a bunch of teenagers

nobodys hero

My daughter is doing a project on Rush for her History of Rock class. I told her I would come in and show the sticks Neil gave me from the '08 Red Rocks show. Of course she doesn't want me there.

I am reluctant to give her the sticks for fear that someone will break them. I told her she could hold them up for all to see but not pass them around to be touched.

What would you do?

I would not do it. They are a hard thing to come by.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Dec 1 2009, 12:27 PM)

My daughter is doing a project on Rush for her History of Rock class. I told her I would come in and show the sticks Neil gave me from the '08 Red Rocks show. Of course she doesn't want me there.

I am reluctant to give her the sticks for fear that someone will break them. I told her she could hold them up for all to see but not pass them around to be touched.

What would you do?

put them in a shadowbox frame so they can be looked at but not touched

Take a nice photo of the sticks and send that instead.

Just send along some of Neil's signature line sticks from Pro-Mark. Beat 'em up a little. No one will know.

But no way would I let the real things out of my sight. Nuh-uh.

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 1 2009, 01:34 PM)
Just send along some of Neil's signature line sticks from Pro-Mark. Beat 'em up a little. No one will know.

But no way would I let the real things out of my sight. Nuh-uh.

good idea!

It's a tough choice - trusting your daughter and preserving such a great prize.

Personally I would not offer the sticks to her: they could get taken by others and subsequently damaged, stolen and sold on ebay.

Not worth the risk in my book

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Dec 1 2009, 03:49 PM)
It's a tough choice - trusting your daughter and preserving such a great prize.

Personally I would not offer the sticks to her: they could get taken by others and subsequently damaged, stolen and sold on ebay.

Not worth the risk in my book

Her daughter posts on here sometimes and I'm sure could be trusted. But there's only so much she (the daughter) can do to protect the sticks. All it takes is ONE asshole. Statistically speaking, there's probably more than one even in a small high school.

And nobody's hero will likely not have the chance to get another pair.

Madame nobody's hero, do this:

Make a short one minute video where you are handling the real drumsticks as if they are some religious artifact...dress in a 2112 kimono or robe at least, have the introduction to Cygnus X-1 playing in the background, and place the sticks on some shrine. It is a bit goofy but it would clearly be a joke. You should even have a bit in there explaining to your child why you will not let her bring the sticks to school. Besides, video rarely hurts a speech and everyone is always interested when it starts. Your child's teacher will be impressed because video takes more effort than actually bringing in an item. Also, have your child bring in another item of RUSH importance but not of supreme value like Sir Peart's drumsticks.

This will work, there will be absolutely zero chance of the real property being destroyed, and your offspring will not have to lie about bringing in phony ones.

Sincerely,

Lord Ruby

Thanks to all who replied. I am glad to see everyone agrees with me about not handing the sticks over. I wanted opinions because I thought maybe I was being too "anal" to let others touch one of my most prized possessions!

She can always take the pic of me holding them tongue.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Dec 2 2009, 11:56 AM)

Thanks to all who replied. I am glad to see everyone agrees with me about not handing the sticks over. I wanted opinions because I thought maybe I was being too "anal" to let others touch one of my most prized possessions!

No way are you being too anal. I have a pair mounted on the wall in my basement. I don't even like the kids touching them at home with me in the room.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Dec 3 2009, 03:56 AM)

This is just what I was going to suggest or even just take a closeup photo of them C.There is no way I would let my daughter get her hands on them. no.gif no.gif no.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Dec 1 2009, 12:27 PM)

What would you do?

I wouldnt let her have them - not because of her, but because someone else may try to harm the sticks, or they might get lost or damaged. Too valuable...

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 2 2009, 03:01 PM)

Thanks to all who replied. I am glad to see everyone agrees with me about not handing the sticks over.  I wanted opinions because I thought maybe I was being too "anal" to let others touch one of my most prized possessions!

She can always take the pic of me holding them    tongue.gif

No way are you being too anal. I have a pair mounted on the wall in my basement. I don't even like the kids touching them at home with me in the room.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 3 2009, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 2 2009, 03:01 PM)

Thanks to all who replied. I am glad to see everyone agrees with me about not handing the sticks over.  I wanted opinions because I thought maybe I was being too "anal" to let others touch one of my most prized possessions!

She can always take the pic of me holding them    tongue.gif

goodpost.gif

I just imagined the scene in Spinal Tap where Marty Dibergi isn't allowed to even look at one of Nigel's guitars laugh.gif

QUOTE (LORD RUBY @ Dec 1 2009, 11:54 PM)
Madame nobody's hero, do this:

Make a short one minute video where you are handling the real drumsticks as if they are some religious artifact...dress in a 2112 kimono or robe at least, have the introduction to Cygnus X-1 playing in the background, and place the sticks on some shrine. It is a bit goofy but it would clearly be a joke. You should even have a bit in there explaining to your child why you will not let her bring the sticks to school. Besides, video rarely hurts a speech and everyone is always interested when it starts. Your child's teacher will be impressed because video takes more effort than actually bringing in an item. Also, have your child bring in another item of RUSH importance but not of supreme value like Sir Peart's drumsticks.

This will work, there will be absolutely zero chance of the real property being destroyed, and your offspring will not have to lie about bringing in phony ones.

Sincerely,
Lord Ruby

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/ahgg_eek2.gif

LORD RUBY!!!!!??????!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/moving%20pictures%20smilies/holycowsmile.gif

Sorry NH, I was just thoroughly shocked to see Lord Ruby here. smile.gif

definitely go with a photo of them. Altho your daughter appreciates & respects your prized possession, others will not. And kids are kids. shit happens. I wouldn't risk it.

QUOTE (doublereeder @ Dec 3 2009, 12:24 AM)
Take it from a teenager.

no.gif

Ninety percent of high school consists of arrogant a-holes.
I've worn several Rush t-shirts, and they don't respect the band at all.

AGREED. It would only take one kid to comment that Geddy sounds like a girl and that "Rush sucks" for a group of teenagers to run and destroy the evidence. Some people may think it is cool, but if they don't know the band they won't appreciate them as a fan would.

I would say f**k NO. Don't let them out of your sight with stupid teenagers around.

Some kids don't know how to treat other people's belongings and this would be one of those times you wouldn't want to chance it.

Well. I would have no problem bringing that in for my class. I mean, the kids at my school aren't dicks about my love of Rush and stuff like that and don't seem like they would want to destroy sutff if I were to bring it in. Then again I have been told no one wants to f**k with me so laugh.gif

Archived