When did you get turned onto Rush?

ILSnwdog

When did you get turned onto Rush?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. When did you get turned onto Rush?

• Before Moving Pictures was released.
    • I was turned onto Rush when Moving Pictures was released.
    • I was turned onto Rush after Moving Pictures was released.

QUOTE (ManicHeadRush @ Oct 25 2009, 01:27 AM)
A month or two ago! I'm now HOOKED to the point of obsession!! It was Counterparts that got me though...

1022.gif 2.gif

I quote myself. And repeat. WELL AM I GLAD I DID OR WHAT?!!?!?!? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

smile.gif Limelight will always have a place in my Tin heart ...

... 2112 opened my eyes, living in a basically communist environment and being raised catholic.

AFTK eased my fears and gave me a better opinion of mankind.

When I was in school, cheer.gif I was bullied a lot and "subdivisions" became my anthem. Signals was my first album. I think this is true for a lot of fans. They connect with the lyrics first and then comes the incredible music. 653.gif Great topic.

Rush would have been a bit sophisticated for my 11 year old ears back when MP was released.

I first got into Rush around the time of Hold Your Fire, and that was it, hooked!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 28 2009, 01:30 PM)
After...seeing as I was born in 1983.

ohmy.gif I was graduating from high school in 1983!

Permanent Waves did it for me...The Spirit of Radio

2.gif In the fall of 1978 while in my senior yr in HS. Some friends were playing ATWAS on a boombox that was as big as a suitcase. Remember those? I think it was 2112 that was blasting on the boombox that was as big as a suitcase. "And the meek shall inherit the earth!" Been my musical benchmark for all bands ever since. WOW!

QUOTE (troutman @ Oct 24 2009, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Oct 23 2009, 06:12 PM)
About 3 years after Vapor Trails was released. tongue.gif

laugh.gif Hey, better late than never. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Mid 80s but friend only had MP (and FBN) so was introduced via that slice of perfection. I didn't realise until after quite a while they had a few other albums out...not bad ones as well wink.gif Hey, I was just a kid where it was all AC/DC and Maiden, forgive me 1022.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (quickfree @ Nov 9 2009, 08:09 PM)
Interesting poll and results. Two polarizing sides of the fan base. Almost like Democrats and Republicans. j/k... biggrin.gif

Great. Now this thread is going to SOCN!

First awareness, early 1979 when a girl in my 5th grade class wore a Hemispheres Tour shirt ("What the Hell is Rush?"...we all asked her. "You never heard of Rush?"...was her reply)

First hearing, mid 1980, when my brother brought home Permanent Waves. I was an instant rabid fan.

I got MP the day of release in 1981.

First concert, ESL Tour 12/21/81 in NJ.

When I was 8 years old I got my hands on two albums:

KISS Destroyer and 2.gif

Suddenly my hair started to grow more rapidly than any scissor could keep cut, I had a pension for cigarettes and eye makeup, bought my first guitar, and nothing has changed much since (other than a business and several children...who oddly enough have a pension for eye makeup and loud guitars).

I like Moving Pictures no doubt. But I think if that was my first taste of RUSH things might have turned out a bit differently.

Eh Sonny? Whatch say? rofl3.gif

I have been a Rush fan since right after Hemispheres came out...

I was early in high school, either freshamn or sophomore year.

I'm old...

2.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 23 2009, 12:17 PM)
It seems that there were many Rush fans who were turned onto 2.gif when Moving Pictures was released.

I kind of hate to admit it, but I am one of them... the first time I heard Tom Sawyer, I didn't even know who the band was, but it grabbed me!

I was born way after MP came out, and I didn't even know they existed until I was seven or eight years old.

But MP was the first album that I ever listened to by them...

That was the only one I listened to for a few years, found a couple other albums, and then I discovered this message board and began listening to their complete discography.

Saw a video of Neil Peart playing YYZ on DrummerWorld.com and was amazed, both by the drumming performance and the song itself.

So I checked out the entire Moving Pictures record and loved it. Listened to it exclusively for a few months, then branched out into all the other stuff.

It's really AMAZING

Just how far Rush reaches across the generations. There are people here who are old enough to be the others parent or even Grandparent (oh boy here it comes). It's all been said before of coarse but I'm 39 and by average, I'm probably in the middle of the road. I found out about them in '85 and to some that is late. Then i see people stating that they were born when presto came out....and later.

It's great to see all of the ages as I stare out across the crowd before the lights go down, father and son, hell maybe even father son and grandfather. Few bands in history can say that, and in this day and age of here today gone tomorrow, we probably never will again.......that is their hall of fame, if there is one. Some bands have come and gone and then came back again but Rush has never really left(save for Neil's tragedy). Some of us have played in front of big crowds and it's a great feeling but it must be very humbling to to look out after 30+ years and see the legacy and the inspiration that they will leave behind when they do finally hang up their instruments.

And when they do, there will be a huge vacuum in the world of music.

This is a really great topic and it's really great to see all the stories...keep em coming.

Archived