Rush in their prime

Xanadoood

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 12 2009, 04:49 PM)
Their prime was 80 through 83, or Permanent Waves Album/Tour though the Signals Album/Tour. They were at the very top of their game, total peak of creativity and popularity. Their golden era. - IMO

I'm of the opinion that your opinion is a sound opinion.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 12 2009, 05:22 PM)
Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures is their prime.

I would have to agree with this.Those two albums are so strong from start to finish.The best of the best.

I would add AFTK and Hemispheres as two more albums that are perfect from start to finish.77-thru 81 were amazingly creative and prolific years.A period were they truly defined their sound.

QUOTE (mulletst0rm @ Oct 12 2009, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 12 2009, 04:49 PM)
Their prime was 80 through 83, or Permanent Waves Album/Tour though the Signals Album/Tour.  They were at the very top of their game, total peak of creativity and popularity.  Their golden era. -  IMO

I'm of the opinion that your opinion is a sound opinion.

Opinions vary

But, these opinions, I do concur

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Oct 12 2009, 06:18 PM)
81-86

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Oct 12 2009, 06:20 PM)
Triple post. oops

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Oct 12 2009, 06:20 PM)
Triple post.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/suriyasiero/553px-Lol_que.jpg

76-81.

There are 5 astounding albums in those years.

Don't get me wrong, there were some great albums before and after those years. Those were just the best 5 years in terms of studio production. smilies-8579.png

In terms of live performance, it's hard to say. They were great back then, even astounding. But the amount of polish they bring to a live performance now rivals anything they did in the past. Unfortunately, Geddy's voice is no longer up to the challenge of the old material. But the rest of the elements have only improved over the years.

Specifically, the energy of the VT Tour was probably the peak for me, though that full length 2112 from T4E was a close second.

QUOTE (PhilipYYZ @ Oct 12 2009, 07:51 PM)
I would say 2112 to Hold Your Fire.

+1

An occasional sleeper here and there, but overall these eras definitely showcase their songwriting skills, their musicianship, and their individual musical prowesses that make this the best band overall.

They're a 3-headed chameleon, the Tiamat of rock's heyday. Never again, sadly. The honeymoon is over.

2112-GUP or 1976-1984. I still think they are great but during that time period I liked pretty much every song on an album. From PoW on I like certain songs but not an entire album, the exception being S&A I like every song on that one.

'77-'85. I can't leave out Power Windows.

76 to 81, IMO. It seems to me that the decsent from the peak started with the awfully under-amplified Lifeson guitar rig on the MP tour. By the time that Rush re-discovered that a guitar-led sound was what they did best (around Counterparts or so), they had lost their ability to write mostly good songs. And Geddy's voice was gone by 81 as well.

I'll bet you'd never guess that I think Time Stand Still is one of their best songs ever...seriously.

Archived