Overlooked Iron Maiden song....

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 28 2009, 08:17 AM)
"The Lonliness of the Long-Distance Runner," from Somewhere in Time.

I love the opening guitar part, played again at twice the speed later in the song. And the lyrics, thanks to the book-loving Harris, are a great synopsis of the novella of the same name.

Amazing song, I love it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed the boat when it comes to this band ... I did hear their song "Paschendale" and I can't really say if it is underated, but I like it.

The name of the town, infamous for that bloody battle has since had it's name changed to Passendale. It was originally spelled Passchendaele.

I agree Fear Of The Dark is a weaker Maiden album, IMO their weakest with Bruce. There are some cool songs on it besides the title track for sure. From Here To Eternity is energetic and upbeat song for a somewhat melancholy album. I agree with Prestodigitation that you could fit a piece of paper between the margins of greatness between NOTB and SSOASS to paraphrase. Really you could do this with the first seven albums IMO. Here's how I would rank Maidens studio albums:

1. Number Of The Beast

2. Piece Of Mind

3. Seventh Son (a mesmerizing epic with a cohesive song cycle)

4. Powerslave (middle songs not as strong as NOTB and POM's)

5. Killers (Maiden's heaviest, such a dark vibe)

6. Iron Maiden (weak production and no Adrian but classic songs)

7. Somewhere In Time (how great is Maiden's catalog that this is 7th?)

8. Brave New World (closest to their classic era)

9. Dance Of Death

10. A Matter Of Life And Death

11. No Prayer For The Dying (more energy than FOTD)

12. Fear Of The Dark

13. The X Factor

14. Virtual XI

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Aug 2 2009, 10:26 PM)
I agree Fear Of The Dark is a weaker Maiden album, IMO their weakest with Bruce. There are some cool songs on it besides the title track for sure. From Here To Eternity is energetic and upbeat song for a somewhat melancholy album. I agree with Prestodigitation that you could fit a piece of paper between the margins of greatness between NOTB and SSOASS to paraphrase. Really you could do this with the first seven albums IMO. Here's how I would rank Maidens studio albums:

1. Number Of The Beast
2. Piece Of Mind
3. Seventh Son (a mesmerizing epic with a cohesive song cycle)
4. Powerslave (middle songs not as strong as NOTB and POM's)
5. Killers (Maiden's heaviest, such a dark vibe)
6. Iron Maiden (weak production and no Adrian but classic songs)
7. Somewhere In Time (how great is Maiden's catalog that this is 7th?)
8. Brave New World (closest to their classic era)
9. Dance Of Death
10. A Matter Of Life And Death
11. No Prayer For The Dying (more energy than FOTD)
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. The X Factor
14. Virtual XI

Yes, it's certainly fair to include the debut and Killers as well. Those are both great albums.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Aug 2 2009, 10:26 PM)

9. Dance Of Death
11. No Prayer For The Dying

13. The X Factor
14. Virtual XI

i think these albums suck ass . never, ever will i listen to them agian and Maiden is one of my fav bands ever. just pure shit................imo

Hell, I'm bored, I'll do the ranking too.....

Piece of Mind

Powerslave

Killers

The Number of the Beast

Iron Maiden

Seventh Son

Somewhere in Time

A Matter of Life and Death

Brave New World

Dance of Death

Fear of the Dark

No Prayer for the Dying

X Factor

Virtual XI

I probably listen to the two Di'Anno albums more now, but that's because I kind of ignored them for a long time.

"To Tame a Land"

"Still Life"

- both from Piece of Mind. Saw both of them performed live on the World Piece Tour in 1983. Simply awesome show.

I've been a die-hard Maiden fan since I saw Killers on the shelf right after it was released and bought it just for the artwork.

Here's one I wish they would release on CD:

http://geordierussell.instone.net/Jukebox/Img/Iron%20Maiden/maidenjapan.jpg

Edited by Barchetta82

QUOTE (Barchetta82 @ Aug 3 2009, 02:43 PM)
"To Tame a Land"
"Still Life"

- both from Piece of Mind. Saw both of them performed live on the World Piece Tour in 1983. Simply awesome show.

I've been a die-hard Maiden fan since I saw Killers on the shelf right after it was released and bought it just for the artwork.

That was my first Maiden album. smile.gif

I think they put that on the first re-release of the Killers album as the second CD, and I think that, again, its on the Eddie's Archive set.

My rankings:

1. Powerslave

2. Piece of Mind

3. The Number of the Beast

4. Somewhere in Time

5. A Matter of Life and Death

6. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

7. Killers

8. Brave New World

9. Iron Maiden

10. Fear of the Dark

11. No Prayer for the Dying

12. Dance of Death

13. The X Factor

14. Virtual XI

Yes, they did put Maiden Japan on the second CD of the Killers remaster, when they re-released their first 9 studio albums and LAD back in '95 each with a bonus CD of the respective album singes' b-sides. The Killers' second CD also includes a live version of Phantom Of The Opera and the b-sides Women In Uniform and Invasion. Frickin' KILLER!

QUOTE (Barchetta82 @ Aug 3 2009, 02:43 PM)

whatcha mean, I have the CD release.

I love Sea of Madness... it remind me of riding my bike downhill, playing air guitar and singing at the top of my lungs back when I was 17.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Aug 8 2009, 02:14 PM)
I love Sea of Madness... it remind me of riding my bike downhill, playing air guitar and singing at the top of my lungs back when I was 17.

trink39.gif

That was my favorite off the album when it first came out.

I love the way Harris' bass just clanks away on 'Sea Of Madness'. Since this thread was originally about overlooked tracks, I've always thought 'Caught Somewhere In Time' was one of Maiden's very best songs. My favorite from that album--always has been.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Aug 8 2009, 11:58 PM)
Since this thread was originally about overlooked tracks, I've always thought 'Caught Somewhere In Time' was one of Maiden's very best songs.

Another good choice from my favorite IM album.

I know it's on an album most Maiden fans don't care for but i've always liked Run Silent Run Deep a lot. I have no f*ckin clue what they're talking about in the verses but i've always loved the chorus and felt that was one of the few times on NPFTD where Bruce sang like the Bruce we've all come to love.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 18 2012, 07:12 PM)
I know it's on an album most Maiden fans don't care for but i've always liked Run Silent Run Deep a lot. I have no f*ckin clue what they're talking about in the verses but i've always loved the chorus and felt that was one of the few times on NPFTD where Bruce sang like the Bruce we've all come to love.

Run Silent Run Deep is one of the songs from NPFTD which should have been played live...I think they did everything off that album live, except this one, Mother Russia and Assassin.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Apr 18 2012, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 18 2012, 07:12 PM)

Run Silent Run Deep is one of the songs from NPFTD which should have been played live...I think they did everything off that album live, except this one, Mother Russia and Assassin.

It's sad that a pretty good song like Run Silent Run Deep was never played live yet the horrible Hooks In You was. Mother Russia is my other favorite on that album because that song is classic Maiden.

I will also agree with the discussion about Sea Of Madness being a great tune. They didn't play that one live too often before they dropped it which is a shame. I used to have a bootleg from the SIT tour and it was one of the few shows where they played SOM. I'm not sure what happened to that bootleg though. I'm gonna have to try and see if it's lying around in a box in the attic or something now that I mentioned it.