Overlooked Iron Maiden song....

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 18 2012, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Apr 18 2012, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 18 2012, 07:12 PM)
I know it's on an album most Maiden fans don't care for but i've always liked Run Silent Run Deep a lot. I have no f*ckin clue what they're talking about in the verses but i've always loved the chorus and felt that was one of the few times on NPFTD where Bruce sang like the Bruce we've all come to love.

Run Silent Run Deep is one of the songs from NPFTD which should have been played live...I think they did everything off that album live, except this one, Mother Russia and Assassin.

It's sad that a pretty good song like Run Silent Run Deep was never played live yet the horrible Hooks In You was. Mother Russia is my other favorite on that album because that song is classic Maiden.

I will also agree with the discussion about Sea Of Madness being a great tune. They didn't play that one live too often before they dropped it which is a shame. I used to have a bootleg from the SIT tour and it was one of the few shows where they played SOM. I'm not sure what happened to that bootleg though. I'm gonna have to try and see if it's lying around in a box in the attic or something now that I mentioned it.

Hey, I had a bootleg too, from a show in sweden. The setlist was one of the craziest, most adventurous Maiden ever managed to put together: Phantom of the Opera, 22 Acacia Avenue, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Sea of Madness, Caught Somewhere in TIme, Stranger in a Strange LAnd...quite unusual. And at some point Dave and Adrian also did a guitar duel - check this out!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this tour on my 14th birthday, and I remember Dave and Adrian doing a solo--but I don't recall it being this atmospheric, or nearly this long. Great show, great bithday, and great memories. It was the first time I saw Maiden and it was utterly riveting from start to finish. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner was incredible.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 19 2012, 12:12 AM)
I know it's on an album most Maiden fans don't care for but i've always liked Run Silent Run Deep a lot. I have no f*ckin clue what they're talking about in the verses but i've always loved the chorus and felt that was one of the few times on NPFTD where Bruce sang like the Bruce we've all come to love.

Was listening to this today. It's a great song.

They had some great b-sides too, some of the covers are superb, All In Your Mind, Cross Eyed Mary, King of Twilight, I Can't See My Feelings are all great.

Steve's first ever self penned tune, Burning Ambition is great, b-side to Running Free.

And I have a soft spot for Reach Out, with Adrian on vocals. It's so far removed from the Maiden sound it's virtually unrecognisable. But I like it.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 19 2012, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 19 2012, 12:12 AM)

Was listening to this today. It's a great song.

They had some great b-sides too, some of the covers are superb, All In Your Mind, Cross Eyed Mary, King of Twilight, I Can't See My Feelings are all great.

Steve's first ever self penned tune, Burning Ambition is great, b-side to Running Free.

And I have a soft spot for Reach Out, with Adrian on vocals. It's so far removed from the Maiden sound it's virtually unrecognisable. But I like it.

Talking of b-sides, I've always loved The Sheriff of Huddersfield

But that's mainly because I live in Huddersfield biggrin.gif

The B-sides off the Somewhere in Time and 07th Son singles are unbeatable! Massacre, Black Bart Blues, Juanita, That Girl, Reach Out, and the new recordings of Charlotte the Harlot and Prowler. Maiden has always done a great job in their B-sides. It's a shame that in most recent singles all we get is either The Trooper, Iron Maiden or Hallowed be Thy Name live...

I remember having a re-issue of Piece Of Mind with a bonus disc that had the single b-sides. It had a cover of Jethro Tull's "Crossed Eyed Mary" on it and it was a really good version. Bruce's vocals on it were great.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 28 2009, 08:18 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 28 2009, 08:17 AM)
"The Lonliness of the Long-Distance Runner," from Somewhere in Time.

I love the opening guitar part, played again at twice the speed later in the song.  And the lyrics, thanks to the book-loving Harris, are a great synopsis of the novella of the same name.

Alexander The Great too, from the same album. It's a bit of a lyrical mouthful, but very good just the same...

atg is a great tune.

You guys are speaking my language. So many great Maiden songs listed. I think the ultimate overlooked Maiden song might be my fav by them period. Afraid To Shoot Strangers. 1022.gif Also love Infinite Dreams from Seventh Son but really there are too many to mention. As many of you said love Mother Russia as well and To Tame A Land is epic!

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 20 2012, 02:14 AM)
I still remember getting that Seventh Son CD home and sitting in the car in the driveway with a few beers and popping it in and being blown away. It remains one of my fav Maiden records to this day.

I had the opposite experience. I bought the tape the day it came out and couldn't believe what I heard- an acoustic intro? Then the synths? I know the synths were on SIT, but they really worked on that album- I hated Seventh Son for a long time. Of course as time went on I began to realize it's a fukking masterpiece and I consider it the last great Maiden album. Not that I haven't liked all the ones since Bruce and Adrian came back, I just see SSOASS as the end of the classic era. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Apr 20 2012, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 20 2012, 02:14 AM)
I still remember getting that Seventh Son CD home and sitting in the car in the driveway with a few beers and popping it in and being blown away. It remains one of my fav Maiden records to this day.

I had the opposite experience. I bought the tape the day it came out and couldn't believe what I heard- an acoustic intro? Then the synths? I know the synths were on SIT, but they really worked on that album- I hated Seventh Son for a long time. Of course as time went on I began to realize it's a fukking masterpiece and I consider it the last great Maiden album. Not that I haven't liked all the ones since Bruce and Adrian came back, I just see SSOASS as the end of the classic era. trink39.gif

Probably I got into it faster because my fav Rush era is the keyboard era. I love keys mixed with heavy guitars. Plus the fact that it was a Maiden concept record made it even more appealing. But the way Maiden uses guitar synths is just awesome and sets an atmosphere. I think it was Adrian who first wanted to introduce guitar synths but I could be wrong about that.

I can honestly say that, from the first seven albums, there's not a single track that I don't love.

You guys know your Maiden. Sun & Steel is indeed a hidden gem. Infinite Dreams is just plain one of their best songs ever. I liked Seventh Son right off the bat, but didn't love it until a dozen or so listens. Now its my second fave behind TNOTB, and followed closely by POM. And yes, the first seven Maiden albums are all god-like classics.

Mother Russia from an absolute shit album