That Harry Potter Thread Is Growing Like A Snail's

RUSHHEAD666

Now there's an idea. The audiobooks might be the way to go for me.

Too bad my vacation in San Diego is over. We drove down the 5 and back to save money on airfare.

I could have brought the first couple of books on the road cd style.

Heck even the girls would have like listening to it I suppose.

Earl

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has gone on for three pages? Say what you want about the Potter fans (like me!), the haters can get WAY more mileage out of a topic tongue.gif

But SIRIUSly, at least the people here who have beef with HP have actually read them. I know TOO many people who go into tirades against HP without having actually read them. Worse yet, they say STUPID things like "Well I don't need to read them". If you wanna bash some of the stuff in the HP books, I'll JOIN you! That's right, I think there is plenty in the books to criticize. Know how I can criticize the books? That's right, I READ them!

Let's RON with this topic for a bit, shall we? I didn't start criticizing that POS "Heavy Metal" movie until I actually sat through every unbearable minute of it. I was looking forward to it after hearing good things, but when I actually saw it, I wanted to cry blood. It was easily.....EASILY....the worst movie I've ever seen. It's only a step above the few minutes of the Star Wars Holiday special that I saw. Like the SWHS, Harry Potter's reputation seems to precede it, and too many people make up their minds without actually watching or reading.

It really is a SEAMUS, though, when people start bashing the fans of HP. I hear the same thing as a video game player, but really it's everywhere in art. The feeling that some people have of "OMG YOU LIKE THAT??? LOL YOU SUK!!11one! U HAV N0 BRAIN!". I'd hope that people who have two digits in their age would be over this sort of thing, but I hear it all the time.

NEVILLE forget, though, that it's all supposed to be fun! People just like different kinds of fun. What's wrong with that?

As you can tell, I've been having a bit of fun with this post tongue.gif

That Star Wars Holiday Special is a piece of warm steaming shit in the summer suns of no return of the Jedi I mean Red Eye. LOL!

I agree with you SLIME but man, you must be a lot younger than me, I grew up with that "PIECE OF SHIT" HEAVY METAL movie.

I love it!!!!!!! Especially that chick with the blue pu$$y hair. Classic and hot.

I can't wait for "HEAVY METAL" to get released on "Blu-Hair Ray." HAHAHA!

Sammy Hagar would be really upset with you Mr. Chickenfoot.

Quite the "Cheap Trick" dude.

Even if you hate the movie you should own the soundtrack. Great "Shit."

I will admit that I too cried blood through my blue eyes of boredom while trying to watch that piece of shit sequel, "Heavy Metal 2000."

Now that film I actually had to stop and press eject on. Pure garbage.

How could you rip the original classic? Come on man, I thought every human on the earth had to agree with every other human.

I am coming at you dude with "OPEN ARMS." HAHAHA!

Sincerely,

"Veteran Of The Psychic Wars"

Come rub my "Soft White Underbelly" and rock me to sleep.............

YY schla03.gif

The "Pot"ter You Drink, The Player You Get........

I mean Smoker.

Cheers to Joe Walsh!

cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

"Life's Been Good So Far......" laugh.gif

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 21 2009, 02:51 PM)
This has gone on for three pages? Say what you want about the Potter fans (like me!), the haters can get WAY more mileage out of a topic tongue.gif

But SIRIUSly, at least the people here who have beef with HP have actually read them. I know TOO many people who go into tirades against HP without having actually read them. Worse yet, they say STUPID things like "Well I don't need to read them". If you wanna bash some of the stuff in the HP books, I'll JOIN you! That's right, I think there is plenty in the books to criticize. Know how I can criticize the books? That's right, I READ them!

Let's RON with this topic for a bit, shall we? I didn't start criticizing that POS "Heavy Metal" movie until I actually sat through every unbearable minute of it. I was looking forward to it after hearing good things, but when I actually saw it, I wanted to cry blood. It was easily.....EASILY....the worst movie I've ever seen. It's only a step above the few minutes of the Star Wars Holiday special that I saw. Like the SWHS, Harry Potter's reputation seems to precede it, and too many people make up their minds without actually watching or reading.

It really is a SEAMUS, though, when people start bashing the fans of HP. I hear the same thing as a video game player, but really it's everywhere in art. The feeling that some people have of "OMG YOU LIKE THAT??? LOL YOU SUK!!11one! U HAV N0 BRAIN!". I'd hope that people who have two digits in their age would be over this sort of thing, but I hear it all the time.

NEVILLE forget, though, that it's all supposed to be fun! People just like different kinds of fun. What's wrong with that?

after all the times i've heard you bitch about heavy metal, i dont think u've ever said what you hated about it exactly [other than just saying it was the worst movie ever garbage bla bla horrible terrible yada yada]

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 20 2009, 09:51 PM)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/invisibleairwaves/Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg

I see what you did there.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 21 2009, 02:49 AM)
The Narnia books are still a good read for kids after all of these years.

What, despite the overt Christian proselytising? wink.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 21 2009, 03:34 AM)

Fridge, sir, you know better than to start religious debates outside of SOCN. I shouldn't have to remind you.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 20 2009, 07:57 PM)
Ok--i hesitate to write this because I know I'll hear "See, she is a fraud!" But this Harry Potter phenomenon didnt happen by accident.

JK Rowling touches upon things in her books that have enthralled for the ages...things that are already classic.

If you watch "Discovering the Real World of Harry Potter"...they mention how much the three main characters echo the great story of Camelot. Harry, Ron, and Hermione not very unlike Arthur, Lancelot, and Guenevier.

The Philosophers (Sorcerers) Stone...rumored to be a real thing...

Wiccan is a real religion...and the wizards and witches who practice find much of JK Rowlings story to be accurate.

etc etc...watch the documentary...

so, here's what she did...she had this idea, and she ran with it. And in a world filled with technology she got kids to stop for a minute, for an hour...and READ. She inspired something threatening to be lost. So "BRAVO!" Ms. Rowling.

And she got adults to join in, and kids and parents had something in common..something to TALK about! whoa! cool no?

Whether it floats your broom or not...THIS is the phenomenon of Harry Potter.

The Philosophers (Sorcerers) Stone...rumored to be a real thing...

Rumored, yes, but it's not real.

The philosopher's stone was dreamed up by alchemists during the early Middle Ages in order to get them hired. They would take a wand and mold wax onto one end with a small piece of stone concealed inside the wax then they'd heat up their "mysterious" concotions in front of the nobleman whose patronage they were trying to earn. When the concotion reached boiling point, they would stir it with the wand until the wax melted and the bit of stone would "magically" appear and they would claim it was a piece of the philosopher's stone and "if only your majesty would sponsor me I could produce more as the ingredients are, alas, both rare and expensive" and then the alchemist got a free ride for the rest of his life from the gullible nobility.

How I love the History Channel! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 21 2009, 12:36 PM)

Fridge, sir, you know better than to start religious debates outside of SOCN. I shouldn't have to remind you.

Sorry

I was actually just attempting to stir a little shit to be honest, and the no religion outside SOCN rule slipped my mind.

I'll consider my wrist duly slapped trink39.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 21 2009, 07:12 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 21 2009, 12:36 PM)

Sorry

I was actually just attempting to stir a little shit to be honest, and the no religion outside SOCN rule slipped my mind.

I'll consider my wrist duly slapped trink39.gif

Spoken like a gentleman, sir. As I knew you would. trink39.gif

Earl's posting style has often led me to think he has come from the wizarding world. Him rubbishing the Harry Potter books is a surefire way of him keeping his secret hidden to the rest of us.

He does, infact, look and act like this man. He probably is him.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/DanG3107/mad-eye.jpg

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jul 21 2009, 09:37 AM)
Earl's posting style has often led me to think he has come from the wizarding world. Him rubbishing the Harry Potter books is a surefire way of him keeping his secret hidden to the rest of us.

laugh.gif

Probably true. goodpost.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 20 2009, 10:05 PM)
Now there's an idea.  The audiobooks might be the way to go for me.
Too bad my vacation in San Diego is over.  We drove down the 5 and back to save money on airfare.

Earl

My wife (who wasn't even my wife back then) tried to convince me for a LONG time to get into Harry Potter, but I resisted, thinking they were kids books, etc. I also resisted getting a cell phone for years after they became popular, but she convinced me to get one of those too. Now I wonder what the hell I was thinking. Thank God I have her to show me the error of my ways. tongue.gif

Anyway, finally on a long road trip she popped in the audio tapes for book 1 (read superbly by Jim Dale as was pointed out by PuppetKing). I was hooked and never looked back.

I'm a big fan of sci-fi, always have been, but was never too into "fantasy" per se. Anyway, seriously Earl, these books are out of this world, whether reading them or listening to them being read. You might be surprised how amazingly amazing they are if you ever want to give them a shot...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jul 21 2009, 09:37 AM)

Didn't see that one coming laugh.gif

Seeing that we're on the 4th page now, and easily heading for a 5th, I just think it's a shame that the "Harry Potter Hater" thread is getting more attention than the reviews and commentary of the actual movie.

You know....the "other" Harry Potter thread started before this one? eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 21 2009, 09:25 AM)
Seeing that we're on the 4th page now, and easily heading for a 5th, I just think it's a shame that the "Harry Potter Hater" thread is getting more attention than the reviews and commentary of the actual movie.

You know....the "other" Harry Potter thread started before this one? eyesre4.gif

More controversy here. pokey.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 21 2009, 12:55 AM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 20 2009, 07:39 PM)
Hey RUSHHEAD666

just a question....have YOU read any Harry Potter books?

i bet you'd be surprised at how good for your mind they are.

No!

I honestly have never even opened up a Harry Potter book.

That makes your opinions of the Harry Potter series completely invalid and moot. I've never read any of the books either, and because of that would never say others' appreciation of them is "silly." That would make me look childish, I would think.

You're entitled to your opinion, but in this case, your opinion is meaningless and lame. smile.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 21 2009, 01:53 PM)
Hey RUSHHEAD666

No!

That makes your opinions of the Harry Potter series completely invalid and moot. I've never read any of the books either, and because of that would never say others' appreciation of them is "silly." That would make me look childish, I would think.

You're entitled to your opinion, but in this case, your opinion is meaningless and lame. smile.gif

goodpost.gif

And for the record, in my first post in this thread I mentioned this notion:

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 18 2009, 09:13 AM)

The "Harry Potter is kid stuff" argument isn't really too original, you know.  Have you actually READ any of the books?  Somehow I doubt it.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jul 21 2009, 06:37 AM)

"Eye" Love You Too!

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 21 2009, 01:34 AM)

So true.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 21 2009, 11:53 AM)
Hey RUSHHEAD666

No!

Um, sure they are. So watching the movies doesn't count?

I think they do.

What a bunch of doggie doo doo.

I was born to be lame.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 21 2009, 03:07 PM)
Hey RUSHHEAD666

No!

I think they do.

I was born to be lame.

So, you've watched the movies? How many of them, and did you watch any one movie all the way through?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 21 2009, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 21 2009, 03:07 PM)
Hey RUSHHEAD666

No!

I think they do.

I was born to be lame.

So, you've watched the movies? How many of them, and did you watch any one movie all the way through?

Not only have I seen every Harry Potter movie I actually gave the Franchise some of my cash.

I never went to the big screen to see one however when that big red blu-ray box set came out containing I think the first five films I bought it along with the last movie that came on blu-ray that same week.

We watched one film a week and not once did I ever hit the eject button.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and some stink more than others.

Again, my oldest daughter has all the hardback Potter books. They look like a very easy read but I have no interest even if the books are better than the films.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 21 2009, 07:20 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 20 2009, 10:05 PM)
Now there's an idea.  The audiobooks might be the way to go for me.
Too bad my vacation in San Diego is over.  We drove down the 5 and back to save money on airfare.

Earl

My wife (who wasn't even my wife back then) tried to convince me for a LONG time to get into Harry Potter, but I resisted, thinking they were kids books, etc. I also resisted getting a cell phone for years after they became popular, but she convinced me to get one of those too. Now I wonder what the hell I was thinking. Thank God I have her to show me the error of my ways. tongue.gif

Anyway, finally on a long road trip she popped in the audio tapes for book 1 (read superbly by Jim Dale as was pointed out by PuppetKing). I was hooked and never looked back.

I'm a big fan of sci-fi, always have been, but was never too into "fantasy" per se. Anyway, seriously Earl, these books are out of this world, whether reading them or listening to them being read. You might be surprised how amazingly amazing they are if you ever want to give them a shot...

Hey Gary!

I trust your opinion and you have great taste in music.

I don't know if I could sit down and read those books.

I think Sean's idea would work for me but I doubt I will go for it.

Cheers!!

Earl

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 21 2009, 07:25 AM)

Who cares if this thread goes to 2112 pages.

It's fun to debate and argue about shit. As long as no one slings personal attacks and insults. I know the drill.

Go have fun on the so-called "Official Harry Potter Thread!"

I am sure the conversation there is stimulating and totally insightful and intellectual.

Sincerely,

A Poser Poster

(that's me)

Edited by RUSHHEAD666