That Harry Potter Thread Is Growing Like A Snail's

RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 22 2009, 02:09 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 21 2009, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 21 2009, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 21 2009, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 21 2009, 03:55 PM)
I just want to see fights and bitching and Mods getting cranky and coming down on people and people reacting to the mods, and I like to see one set of people get their way as that means the other side are gonna be bitching which gets the other posters complaining which brings the Mods back acting calm and coming down on the interlopers (and no one wants to see a Mod have an easy life on a forum) which leads to more bitching and fighting and baiting and I just eat my popcorn... You see? And this thread is doing ok in these regards. And so I chuckle to myself and shake my head and all is well with the world.

trink38.gif

I just like run-on sentences and people who like to stir the pot.

Run-on sentences are a nice tool to create a certain mood and flow in a given paragraph (in this case a random post in an A versus B opposing forces thread in a forum). I like the slightly hypnotic back and forth vibe created with the repetive phrases. It's a bit like using a double negative in speech deliberately to create a stronger emphasis. Now and again it beats just putting in a correct sentence with a humdrum blah blah message.

That's true. Personally I find them annoying and tedious, but I'm just so darn enamoured with humdrum blahblahness. wub.gif

*feeds some ice cream to GG to fend her off*

Feed 'er and shut 'er up?

Lovely.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 22 2009, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 22 2009, 02:09 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 21 2009, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 21 2009, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 21 2009, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 21 2009, 03:55 PM)
I just want to see fights and bitching and Mods getting cranky and coming down on people and people reacting to the mods, and I like to see one set of people get their way as that means the other side are gonna be bitching which gets the other posters complaining which brings the Mods back acting calm and coming down on the interlopers (and no one wants to see a Mod have an easy life on a forum) which leads to more bitching and fighting and baiting and I just eat my popcorn... You see? And this thread is doing ok in these regards. And so I chuckle to myself and shake my head and all is well with the world.

trink38.gif

I just like run-on sentences and people who like to stir the pot.

Run-on sentences are a nice tool to create a certain mood and flow in a given paragraph (in this case a random post in an A versus B opposing forces thread in a forum). I like the slightly hypnotic back and forth vibe created with the repetive phrases. It's a bit like using a double negative in speech deliberately to create a stronger emphasis. Now and again it beats just putting in a correct sentence with a humdrum blah blah message.

That's true. Personally I find them annoying and tedious, but I'm just so darn enamoured with humdrum blahblahness. wub.gif

*feeds some ice cream to GG to fend her off*

Feed 'er and shut 'er up?

Lovely.

Duck, should you choose to respond to what she said I'd strongly suggest you be real careful what you say.

You know, after a bit of reflection and a reminder from a friend, I'll just go happily on my way, pleased with myself, and not give a rat's ass what some people choose to BAIT me with...for that's all it is, and treeduck has been doing just that in this thread - why, he used the word "baiting" in his run-on!

So, a little introspection is always good for the soul - and I will just move along, sans the hand-fed ice cream.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 21 2009, 04:55 PM)

trink38.gif

The real problem I have with this post is the fact that just because a poster happens to be a mod it doesn't mean their post is done in "moderating mode". We are members here just like everyone else and are allowed to share our opinions like everyone else.

It should be fairly obvious when we are "posting as mods" or regular members.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 22 2009, 02:26 PM)
You know, after a bit of reflection and a reminder from a friend, I'll just go happily on my way, pleased with myself, and not give a rat's ass what some people choose to BAIT me with...for that's all it is, and treeduck has been doing just that in this thread - why, he used the word "baiting" in his run-on!

So, a little introspection is always good for the soul - and I will just move along, sans the hand-fed ice cream.

Damn! Rumbled!!

I'll have to find something else to do now...

banghead.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jul 22 2009, 03:31 PM)

trink38.gif

The real problem I have with this post is the fact that just because a poster happens to be a mod it doesn't mean their post is done in "moderating mode". We are members here just like everyone else and are allowed to share our opinions like everyone else.

Well said.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 22 2009, 04:17 PM)

trink38.gif

Well said.

So you take that post 100% seriously? Hmmm ok...

wacko.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 22 2009, 05:21 PM)

trink38.gif

Well said.

wacko.gif

No, of course you were just making a shit-stirring joke. But Digi still made a good point. Too often people see opinionated posts from us mods and think we're dictating board policy, and all were doing is expressing an opinion.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 22 2009, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 22 2009, 05:21 PM)

trink38.gif

Well said.

wacko.gif

No, of course you were just making a shit-stirring joke. But Digi still made a good point. Too often people see opinionated posts from us mods and think we're dictating board policy, and all were doing is expressing an opinion.

"Don't annoy us further!

We have our work to do.

Just think about the average

What use they have for you?

Another toy will help destroy

The elder race of man.

Forget your silly whim

It doesn't fit the Plan!"

It's nice to know that the Mods here are merely humans who also dig RUSH and are not on some Syrinx Power Trip.

Cool!

You do learn something new everyday.

RUSH ON!

Earl

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 20 2009, 11:51 PM)
This has gone on for three pages? Say what you want about the Potter fans (like me!), the haters can get WAY more mileage out of a topic tongue.gif

But SIRIUSly, at least the people here who have beef with HP have actually read them. I know TOO many people who go into tirades against HP without having actually read them. Worse yet, they say STUPID things like "Well I don't need to read them". If you wanna bash some of the stuff in the HP books, I'll JOIN you! That's right, I think there is plenty in the books to criticize. Know how I can criticize the books? That's right, I READ them!

Let's RON with this topic for a bit, shall we? I didn't start criticizing that POS "Heavy Metal" movie until I actually sat through every unbearable minute of it. I was looking forward to it after hearing good things, but when I actually saw it, I wanted to cry blood. It was easily.....EASILY....the worst movie I've ever seen. It's only a step above the few minutes of the Star Wars Holiday special that I saw. Like the SWHS, Harry Potter's reputation seems to precede it, and too many people make up their minds without actually watching or reading.

It really is a SEAMUS, though, when people start bashing the fans of HP. I hear the same thing as a video game player, but really it's everywhere in art. The feeling that some people have of "OMG YOU LIKE THAT??? LOL YOU SUK!!11one! U HAV N0 BRAIN!". I'd hope that people who have two digits in their age would be over this sort of thing, but I hear it all the time.

NEVILLE forget, though, that it's all supposed to be fun! People just like different kinds of fun. What's wrong with that?

As you can tell, I've been having a bit of fun with this post tongue.gif

Heavy Metal is the worst movie you've ever seen? HAve you watched many movies man?????

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 25 2009, 02:26 PM)
This has gone on for three pages? Say what you want about the Potter fans (like me!), the haters can get WAY more mileage out of a topic tongue.gif

But SIRIUSly, at least the people here who have beef with HP have actually read them. I know TOO many people who go into tirades against HP without having actually read them. Worse yet, they say STUPID things like "Well I don't need to read them". If you wanna bash some of the stuff in the HP books, I'll JOIN you! That's right, I think there is plenty in the books to criticize. Know how I can criticize the books? That's right, I READ them!

Let's RON with this topic for a bit, shall we? I didn't start criticizing that POS "Heavy Metal" movie until I actually sat through every unbearable minute of it. I was looking forward to it after hearing good things, but when I actually saw it, I wanted to cry blood. It was easily.....EASILY....the worst movie I've ever seen. It's only a step above the few minutes of the Star Wars Holiday special that I saw. Like the SWHS, Harry Potter's reputation seems to precede it, and too many people make up their minds without actually watching or reading.

It really is a SEAMUS, though, when people start bashing the fans of HP. I hear the same thing as a video game player, but really it's everywhere in art. The feeling that some people have of "OMG YOU LIKE THAT??? LOL YOU SUK!!11one! U HAV N0 BRAIN!". I'd hope that people who have two digits in their age would be over this sort of thing, but I hear it all the time.

NEVILLE forget, though, that it's all supposed to be fun! People just like different kinds of fun. What's wrong with that?

Heavy Metal is the worst movie you've ever seen? HAve you watched many movies man?????

I hate to derail this thread (because of course this thread is SO productive and full of insight), but yes

Heavy Metal is the worst movie I've EVER seen. I've seen plenty of movies, and know when I've watched a bad one.

True, I haven't seen everything, but of those movies I have seen, it's EASILY the worst.

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 25 2009, 12:06 AM)

I hate to derail this thread (because of course this thread is SO productive and full of insight), but yes

Heavy Metal is the worst movie I've EVER seen. I've seen plenty of movies, and know when I've watched a bad one.

True, I haven't seen everything, but of those movies I have seen, it's EASILY the worst.

Insight and productivity?

What the hell do you bring to this Forum that is so insightful and intellectual?

Absolutely nothing.

You can't handle a little ribbing simply because you're the odd man/boy out here when it comes to a cartoon classic called "Heavy Metal?"

Is your favorite band The Thompson Twins or Culture Club?

"I'll Tumble 4 You" Slime.

You really must have a hard on for Harry Potter in those sexy dark rimmed glasses.

I bet you went to his play, EQUUS and loved it. LOL! Hogwarts? Better check your penis.

Just kidding of course!! It's all in fun right?

Do you want to play hardball dude?

I'm ready to go.

This thread is nothing but people like you make it worth something to type about.

When was the last time you even wrote a thread that was so interesting?

If you want Vanilla White Threads then go somewhere else.

Stirring the "Potter" is good for business.

Take a good hard look in the Wilderness Of Mirrors dude.

Maybe Neil Peart will be there. Waiting for the green SLIME to cover your helpless naked body.

It's all about STARMAN isn't it.

All Hail RUSH. The greatest band in the world.

Everything else is pure entertainment.

Sweet dreams are made of this...............

tongue.gif

1287.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 25 2009, 03:15 AM)

What the hell do you bring to this Forum that is so insightful and intellectual?

Absolutely nothing.

You can't handle a little ribbing simply because you're the odd man/boy out here when it comes to a cartoon classic called "Heavy Metal?"

You really must have a hard on for Harry Potter in those sexy dark rimmed glasses.

I bet you went to his play, EQUUS and loved it. LOL! Hogwarts? Better check your penis.

I'm ready to go.

This thread is nothing but people like you make it worth something to type about.

Maybe Neil Peart will be there. Waiting for the green SLIME to cover your helpless naked body.

tongue.gif

1287.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 25 2009, 01:15 AM)

Absolutely nothing.

The irony in this post is amazing.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 25 2009, 04:15 AM)

Absolutely nothing.

I'm ready to go.

tongue.gif

1287.gif

You can say what you want about us, but I'm with Slime. 'Heavy Metal' sucks!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 25 2009, 11:59 AM)

Absolutely nothing.

I'm ready to go.

tongue.gif

1287.gif

I saw "Heavy Metal" once.

Once.

Absolutely nothing.

I'm ready to go.

tongue.gif

1287.gif

laugh.gif

I think Earl has an inappropriate crush on Harry, he's just saying other people do to try and deny the truth...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 25 2009, 12:28 PM)
I think Earl has an inappropriate crush on Harry, he's just saying other people do to try and deny the truth...

tongue.gif

You could be on to something there! laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 25 2009, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 25 2009, 11:59 AM)

Absolutely nothing.

I'm ready to go.

tongue.gif

1287.gif

I saw "Heavy Metal" once.

Once.

Same here.

I also perused a copy of the magazine once. It's struck me as a skin mag for guys who aren't old enough to buy Playboy with half-assed sci-fi stories to pad out the sections where there's no nudity.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 25 2009, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 25 2009, 12:28 PM)

tongue.gif

You could be on to something there! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

"DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!"

"Heavy Metal" Rules!! To each their own!!!

Signed,

STEEL PANTHER