The thread where I look at each KISS album

My reviews are all based relative to other albums IN THAT BAND'S catalogue. I think that's the only fair way to do it. Not sure how you can compare Kiss to Rush or Rush to Floyd or Floyd to The Beatles....or The Beatles to Metallica.

How do you say what's better....A Hard Day's Night or Master Of Puppets? Who's Next or Van Halen I...? After a point it becomes apples and oranges right quick.

Edited by Presto-digitation

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll make it short and sweet.

Best 5 Kiss albums of all time (excluding live albums)

1. Destroyer

2. Rock And Roll Over

3. Hotter Then Hell

4. Love Gun

5. Dressed To Kill.

No need to argue, I'm right ! 1022.gif cool10.gif atickhum.gif music.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 30 2009, 11:24 AM)

1. Destroyer
2. Rock And Roll Over
3. Hotter Then Hell
4. Love Gun
5. Dressed To Kill.

No need to argue, I'm right ! 1022.gif  cool10.gif  atickhum.gif  music.gif

Uh, didn't you forget their DEBUT ALBUM?? You know, the one with Deuce, Strutter, Firehouse, Black Diamond, 100,000 Years, Cold Gin, Nothin To Lose--you know, THAT ONE? dazed025.gif

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Dec 30 2009, 11:20 PM)

1. Destroyer
2. Rock And Roll Over
3. Hotter Then Hell
4. Love Gun
5. Dressed To Kill.

Uh, didn't you forget their DEBUT ALBUM?? You know, the one with Deuce, Strutter, Firehouse, Black Diamond, 100,000 Years, Cold Gin, Nothin To Lose--you know, THAT ONE? dazed025.gif

Their debut is easily their most consistent and filled with the most killer hits. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 31 2009, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Dec 30 2009, 11:20 PM)

1. Destroyer
2. Rock And Roll Over
3. Hotter Then Hell
4. Love Gun
5. Dressed To Kill.

Their debut is easily their most consistent and filled with the most killer hits. yes.gif

The album is so over produced in my opinion and while its true, some of there best songs are on it, it falls below the 5 I mentioned for me personally.

It is obviously very solid but it has three of the crappiest Kiss songs of there early career on it.

Love Theme From Kiss

Kissin Time

Let Me know

Because of these shitty songs, it would be number 6 on my list.

I swear to God, i am wearing this very shirt right now yes.gif It was always my fav of the first 3 albums. Heavy as hell and if the production would have amounted to Anything, it would sound unreal.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 30 2011, 04:21 PM)
What do we think the new MONSTER album will be like?

unsure.gif

I'm guessing a bit heavier version (their words) of the last record, but essentially Sonic Boom part 2 in terms of style/feel.

They're finishing the album by Christmas, they hope. Paul just had vocal surgery and is NOT done recording vocals yet, so not sure how that will impact things. Can't see vox being done til after the new year.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 30 2011, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 30 2011, 04:21 PM)
What do we think the new MONSTER album will be like?

unsure.gif

I'm guessing a bit heavier version (their words) of the last record, but essentially Sonic Boom part 2 in terms of style/feel.

They're finishing the album by Christmas, they hope. Paul just had vocal surgery and is NOT done recording vocals yet, so not sure how that will impact things. Can't see vox being done til after the new year.

Hopefully it doesn't affect his voice adversely...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 30 2011, 05:42 PM)
What are your guesses about Monster TD?

I think agree with you, it'll be somewhat similar to Sonic Boom, though maybe a bit heavier. I think I read that quote somewhere, not sure if it was Gene or Paul...

I read they're also going to attempt to emulate the more organic production values and raw atmosphere of their early albums.

And the artwork is going to be like Destroyer! That makes sense as Sonic Boom's artwork reminds me the artwork on Rock n Roll Over...

trink38.gif

Late to the thread but great reading presto trink39.gif it brings back many memories as I too was into the whole kiss saga growing up. But as many forgot them in the early 80s.

Almost human from love gun was always one of my favorite kiss songs, such a different vibe that it was weird and ingrained in the memory)).

Also on Gene's solo record, mr. Make believe, doesn't that sound like something you would hear on Saturday morning cartoon shows in the 70's? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 10 2012, 02:42 PM)
It's a pretty underrated power pop album.  Some nice writing on that album, even if it's not conventional Kiss.

yes.gif

I think it may even tie with Dynasty for me, but I would have to compare again, it's been a while. Next Kiss assignment I guess trink38.gif

Dude,

I am really enjoying rading all these capsules.

Great stuff Presto.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 24 2009, 10:46 PM)
your i-pod picked a real winner here laugh.gif PETER CRISS made me want to play drums back in 1977/78 . KISS did no wrong for me back then but, this album blow's . really. same shit with GENE'S album, but i will wait till you get to that one. this was the start of the end for old PETER.
1022.gif

Thanks for supporting Detroit's uncle alice, metaldad! 1022.gif

I was in bands that covered billion dollar babies and ballad of dwight frye, among others.

ok, back to kiss... peter's album wasn't too bad. better than gene's. And i do wanna say, Prestodigi, that i do respect your love for kiss. the music is great to this day. I think rock n roll over is the last album i bought as a kid...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 9 2012, 09:42 PM)
I think so too. I have a biased attachment to that record, but 32 years after that fact I agree. It's a pretty underrated power pop album. Some nice writing on that album, even if it's not conventional Kiss.

Agree completely. Im a fan of Unmasked. Songs are very well written...would love to hear it with a more stripped down, rock production.