The thread where I look at each KISS album

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 18 2009, 06:41 AM)
Great, I finally do another one and then no one cares. fists crying.gif wink.gif

laugh.gif

i hated the elder when it came out. years later i have learned to dig it. shit production and the remaster does little to change my mind. i have a soft spot for it because it was ERIC CARR'S first album. I, DARK LIGHT, THE OATH, ESCAPE FROM THE ISLAND and WORLD WITHOUT HEREOS are real good songs IMO. i wish they would have toured for it [but no one gave a shit by then laugh.gif ] i think these songs would have been real good live

1022.gif

PAUL STANLEY

my 2nd fav solo album. i think it kicks ass from start to finish. great singing on this. shame people really never got into this because it blows GENE and PETER'S crap into the water. i really like every song on it. it showed PAUL wrote good songs no matter what or who he played with

1022.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 18 2009, 07:41 AM)
Great, I finally do another one and then no one cares. fists crying.gif wink.gif

Agreed on Paul's solo effort. Definitely the most KISS like, but still very much has Stanley's personal stamp on it. I've always thought that Paul's solo album was a stronger effort from start to finish than the others. Ace's comes in a close second and is a great record, but Paul's is solid from beginning to end.

Even today, I will still listen to this one on occasion and I still enjoy it a lot. This holds up well over time

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jun 18 2009, 01:48 PM)
Great, I finally do another one and then no one cares.  fists crying.gif  wink.gif

Agreed on Paul's solo effort. Definitely the most KISS like, but still very much has Stanley's personal stamp on it. I've always thought that Paul's solo album was a stronger effort from start to finish than the others. Ace's comes in a close second and is a great record, but Paul's is solid from beginning to end.

Even today, I will still listen to this one on occasion and I still enjoy it a lot. This holds up well over time

It really has, yes. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jun 19 2009, 06:48 AM)
Great, I finally do another one and then no one cares.  fists crying.gif  wink.gif

yes.gif Just edges out Ace's. Nice breakdown Presto...we care!! biggrin.gif

This was the first album I was exposed to as a kid of 10 years old. An older friend made me a copy and I practically wore the tape out. It obviously holds a lot of nostalgia around it, but there is undeniably some classic material to be found on Dynasty, especially from Ace. I could do without the Simmons contributions (like always) but its a 'buy it' for me. Im going with a solid 4/5 and its in my top 5 Kiss for sure trink38.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 30 2009, 03:40 PM)
Sorry for the long-ass delay. tongue.gif

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41t2iU3xLJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

DYNASTY

Dynasty marks a nearly irreversible change and trend with Kiss, for better or worse. For one, Paul Stanley began co-writing in earnest with songwriters outside the inner circle of the band. It also marked the debut of another musician playing on the majority of the album in the place of another member. Ace had had bits and parts replaced here and there on the Destroyer project and Bob Kulick had stepped in for an absent Frehley for a few studio songs to pepper the fourth side of the Alive II opus, but there was a major rift between Criss and the rest of the band and summarily he was replaced on all tracks except his lone contribution. The entire complexion of the group was changing. That change had begun to blossom over the previous 18 months or so with the release of the solo albums and a wildly successful (though panned) television movie. Super Kiss had reached the top of Magic Mountain and Dynasty marked the recorded beginnings of the band tripping over the clouds.

Also for the first time (beyond the Strutter redo) the band jumped on a music trend for a couple tunes, something that would become nearly habitual throughout the next decade and a bit beyond; disco in its dying days. Not that that was uncommon. Scores of bands not remotely linked to that genre were “dabbling,” such as Rod Stewart, Deborah Harry, and The Rolling Stones, so why not Kiss too? It turned out to be a smart move for the band, as they landed their biggest single in the charts since Beth. Score! You could also argue that their immediate success with radio-geared co-writers and genre-jumping simply validated their temptations and might’ve lead to more problems than it solved, but that’s for your ear to decide.

That said, Dynasty is erroneously labeled Kiss’ “disco album” and it’s simply not. Smash single I Was Made For Lovin’ You clearly is, however. It’s a bass-driven, bouncy, roller-skate-inspiring tune replete with Stanley’s smoky verse vocals contrasted with a falsetto bridge that will either crack your champagne flutes or drive your Jack Russell Terrier howling mad. It’s a catchy-though-overrated affair in my estimation, receiving a nice beefing up on the Hot In The Shade tour. Better still is the other quintessentially mirror-ball-like affair in Sure Know Something, which failed to successfully follow up its predecessor but is arguably a superior bit of songwriting. Stanley also takes a stab at a melodic solo and does a tasteful job. I suppose if you’re picking nits, you could lay claim to Peter Criss’s sole contribution being the third disco inclusion, although it’s a tad more subtle than the previously mentioned songs. Dirty Livin' is one of my favorite Criss songs, an almost biographical look at Peter’s growing dysfunction in the band and in his life.

My lock for man-of-the-match on a single song goes to Stanley’s incredible power ballad Magic Touch, a woefully forgotten song that would’ve sidled up nicely to the better songs on his 1978 solo LP; simply a tremendous tune that was gleefully resurrected during Stanley’s 2006 solo tour.

Still the overall most valuable player on Dynasty is undoubtedly Ace Frehley, marking his first Kiss contributions after his surprisingly-stunning solo album with an unprecedented three songs; all of them top shelf. 2,000 Man might be a Rolling Stones song originally, but Ace makes it his own here, breathing life into this oddity in a way Kiss did not on previously awkward-but-competent covers like the debut’s Kissin’ (Twistin’) Time and Love Gun’s Then S(h)e Kissed Me. Hard Times is another pleaser, a gritty lament on Frehley’s tough Bronx upbringing. I can hear it being used in a Scorsese movie. Better still is a song I used to loathe and now love as an all-time Ace-favorite, Save Your Love. The punk-like chorus is delicious and his solo isn’t matched anywhere else on this record.

Gene Simmons is conspicuously quiet on Dynasty, logging in one-fewer song than Ace (whoa!). Perhaps he was being punished for his mostly-tepid and largely-inept solo record, I don’t know. He brings to the table two average songs, pretty on-par with one another in X-Ray Eyes and the deep and sexy Charisma. In both, Gene sounds a bit uncomfortable and clearly is behind Paul’s and Ace’s lead. This is easily their album.

It’s true that Simmons never quite warmed up to producer Vini Poncia, then most recently of Peter Criss’s solo album; a pop guru with slick mixes and his finger on the contemporary pulse of the “scene” in the late 70s. But all of this was done intentionally…to broaden Kiss’s appeal by making them sound hip sonically, as well as clever and current in the songwriting department. It worked to the degree that it garnered a big hit single, which was welcome news as the band tried to hold itself together as it was simultaneously splitting at its seams. Fans' reactions were then and remain now mixed.

It’s clearly not a first tier Kiss album, but looking back there’s more than enough meat on the plate to make a meal. However, in order to eat the meal, Peter Criss had to wipe the powder from his nostrils and Ace had a glass of Dom in each hand, making you wonder how he’d hold the fork at all. But no worry, Gene would eat what they couldn’t…and Paul was too busy criticizing the flatware to notice the food at all. This was the state of Kiss in 1979; but despite that, a reasonably strong-though-poptacular album still managed to emerge.

Grade: B

Production:

I like Vini Poncia and his compression-happy self. It was poppy Kiss so a slickening in sound was natural. Lots of fans seem to hate what Poncia brought to the table on Dynasty and Unmasked, but I can’t complain.

Cover:

Abysmal. Worst cover for Kiss up to that point, including the goofy debut. Kiss had become so full of themselves at this point that some of their faces had to be assembled from multiple photos. Paul’s left eye from this one…Paul’s lips and chin from that one. Rubbish. Beyond that it’s ugly and greasy and just too damn close of a close-up! While the proportions didn’t lend itself to a square album cover, the poster image inside the sleeve was the SUPERIOR image from this photo shoot…and perhaps might’ve been used with the KISS and DYNASTY lettering making up the upper and lower portions of this otherwise-letterbox image. As-is, however, the cover blows.

Reflections:

Dynasty was the very first Kiss record I bought upon its release. I’d been a fan for some time, but this was the first album with which I was aware it was NEW and it was out NOW. I have fond memories of this time, despite the fact that Kiss wouldn’t be coming to Vegas and, thusly, I’d not be seeing them live. They were all over the TV. I remember I had to be in school when they appeared in the Dinah Shore Show, interviewed by Billy Crystal. I BEGGED my dad to stay home “sick,” but he wouldn’t budge. However, being the trooper that he was, upon my request he audio-taped the show so I could listen to it later (didn’t yet own a VCR)…and…as dorky as this sounds….he took pictures of the television set so I could SEE what they looked like on the show. So for weeks following I listened to that tape and flipped through the photos and felt really special. My asshole best friend came "down with a bug" and got to stay home BOTH DAYS and watch it. A part of me hates him still...

This is the first KISS album I owned, as well. I agree with almost everything you said about the album as a whole, but disagree with the songs you chose as your favorites. Magic Touch is probably my favorite song on Dynasty (although Charisma comes close) and Dirty Livin' and X-ray Eyes are the only below average songs, in my opinion.

Also, I never understood the "disco album" label.

I think your overall grade is spot on. The album art is only saved from being the worst KISS has done, imo, by Carnival of Souls. I've never been a big fan of album art that shows only the band.

Look forward to the rest of your reviews. trink39.gif

i always like it . i got it the day it came out [yes im old] i think Save your love is one of the most underrated Kiss songs ever . i love Hard Times , it was written about the park Ace hung out in a few blocks from where i grew up 1022.gif . last classic Kiss and then Peter got the boot . i have a boot from this tour and you can see why they dumped him, just played like shit. worst drum solo i have ever seen

for me the album gets 8 out of 10 062802puke_prv.gif

Into the void and Within are the only songs i can listen to. Peter played on 1 song [into the void] heaping pile of donkey snot .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 3 2009, 02:42 PM)
for me the album gets 8 out of 10 062802puke_prv.gif
Into the void and Within are the only songs i can listen to. Peter played on 1 song [into the void] heaping pile of donkey snot .

I'm guessing that 8 was a typo?? wink.gif

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Aug 3 2009, 03:28 PM)
Dynasty was the beginning of the end for the original line up , other than Ace's songs it's pretty bad.

Psycho Circus I think your feelings are the same as mine some really good stuff there.

Wow. I really thought I'd have no agreement on Psycho Circus. Even one person chiming in affirmatively is a bit of a victory..! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 3 2009, 04:10 PM)
Dynasty was the beginning of the end for the original line up , other than Ace's songs it's pretty bad.

Psycho Circus I think your feelings are the same as mine some really good stuff there.

Wow. I really thought I'd have no agreement on Psycho Circus. Even one person chiming in affirmatively is a bit of a victory..! biggrin.gif

Psycho Circus is one of my favorite KISS albums. tongue.gif Probably top 5. It's not that the album is amazing, but in my opinion, there isn't a bad song on it; maybe that's because it had been so long since KISS had released an album I can actually listen to all the way through.

I think the album cover is awesome, but I can see why you say it's gimmickry.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Aug 3 2009, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 3 2009, 04:10 PM)

Psycho Circus is one of my favorite KISS albums. tongue.gif Probably top 5. It's not that the album is amazing, but in my opinion, there isn't a bad song on it; maybe that's because it had been so long since KISS had released an album I can actually listen to all the way through.

I think the album cover is awesome, but I can see why you say it's gimmickry.

trink39.gif

Hey, another PC lover. Wow...! Good deal. Diggin' this enthusiasm.

I agree there's no bad tune on it, honestly....just a bad part of one tune. tongue.gif